Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 11 December, 2012, 12:59:18 AM
This. Over and over again. The drums make me. Sharon van Etten - Serpents.

I'd never heard of her and that's a fine tune. Something very Throwing Muses about it to me.

Third Estate Ned

Om - Advaitic Songs. Groove-laden and mesmeric and even the heavy parts are chilled out. Some great understated drumming on there too.

I like how all his lyrics are just uncritical descriptions of things that happen, though I suppose that's just an aesthetic of the metal genre.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 12 December, 2012, 08:04:18 PM
Om - Advaitic Songs. Groove-laden and mesmeric and even the heavy parts are chilled out. Some great understated drumming on there too.

I like how all his lyrics are just uncritical descriptions of things that happen, though I suppose that's just an aesthetic of the metal genre.

I've heard Om are really good from several people now - time to check them out!

I don't think there are that many uncritical descriptions of things happening in metal as a genre.  Here's a good example of some very critical lyrics:

While the bad men play with words
And make us all dance to their song
To the tune of starving millions
To make a better kind of gun

I'd say thiose lyrics were highly critical, and I don't think they stand alone in the metal genre as a whole.  I've always seen it as an empowering form of music for that very reason.

CrazyFoxMachine

Talking of Om - I saw the amazing BORIS at the same Omvenue in Bristol.

Blinding, blistering, beautiful show. Better than I could have imagined, worth checking them out - very hypnotic.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 December, 2012, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 12 December, 2012, 08:04:18 PM

I've heard Om are really good from several people now - time to check them out!

I don't think there are that many uncritical descriptions of things happening in metal as a genre.  Here's a good example of some very critical lyrics:

While the bad men play with words
And make us all dance to their song
To the tune of starving millions
To make a better kind of gun

I'd say thiose lyrics were highly critical, and I don't think they stand alone in the metal genre as a whole.  I've always seen it as an empowering form of music for that very reason.

To explain myself better, I should have said one aesthetic of metal is those kind of lyrics, in that it's a feature you often but not always find in the genre. Angel of Death by Slayer could be a good example, or Cannibal Corpse's Rancid Amputation. A nice parody of which is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc-V3NYckOI

If you like Om, then you will like Sleep too.

shaolin_monkey

Ah, fair enough then! 

I'm toying with some MP3 downloads of both from Amazon, but my credit card is already feeling a bit heavy in my pocket this year...

Ancient Otter

I picked up the re-release of the acclaimed Nuggets anthology. Maybe a bit over-rated but some pretty good tunes on it. (If you want to splash out, there was a bigger version released years ago, 4 cd box set)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 17 December, 2012, 09:14:54 PM
I picked up the re-release of the acclaimed Nuggets anthology. Maybe a bit over-rated but some pretty good tunes on it. (If you want to splash out, there was a bigger version released years ago, 4 cd box set)

I love that album, particularly for the tracks where the artist is so blatantly ripping off The Beatles or Bob Dylan!

Frank

Ever wondered what would happen if you crossed the lego promo for Fell in Love With A Girl with Human After All-era Daft Punk? It would probably be something like Boys Noize, Ich R U. The Jacques lu Cont remix is worth a listen too.

Richmond Clements

Karl Stephan

Dropkick Murphys - Warrior's Code. Warming up for their show in London on the 19th.

Spikes

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 January, 2013, 02:35:12 PM
New music from Mr David Bowie.

It is indeed a top tune.
Much is being made of the fact that Bowie's turned sixty-six - and worringly it only seems like yesterday that the media was making a big thing of Bowie turning fifty. And the wistful melancholia of the song has added to the speculation of ill health.
From my earilest childhood memories to BBC4's recent Bowie nights, im always finding and re-finding something that grabs and inspires me, in his music.
Welcome back Mr Jones.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 January, 2013, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 January, 2013, 02:35:12 PM
New music from Mr David Bowie.

It is indeed a top tune.
Much is being made of the fact that Bowie's turned sixty-six - and worringly it only seems like yesterday that the media was making a big thing of Bowie turning fifty. And the wistful melancholia of the song has added to the speculation of ill health.
From my earilest childhood memories to BBC4's recent Bowie nights, im always finding and re-finding something that grabs and inspires me, in his music.
Welcome back Mr Jones.

Quite brilliant isn't it?
And it just gets better with every listen.
The man's a genius.

I, Cosh

Loving this at the moment: Call Me Maybe acapella (147 times exponentially layered).

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 13 December, 2012, 03:39:56 PM
Talking of Om - I saw the amazing BORIS at the same Omvenue in Bristol.
Jealous of this. Hoped they might've done a few dates further north off the back of their ATP outing but it never happened.
We never really die.

Frank

Dr Feelgood, because Wilco Johnson's been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer - which is unbelievably shite. Here he is demonstrating that all you need to upstage a frontman as charismatic as Lee Brilleaux is a brilliant, original choppy guitar technique, a psychotic stare, and the ability to move around the stage as if you're on castors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GzF0AETdRF8#t=235s