Main Menu

Fay Dalton can't get work in comics

Started by Frank, 30 May, 2016, 11:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

According to Pat Mills, Fay Dalton can't get work in comics. FAY DALTON.

I assumed the reason why she wasn't producing cover images for US publishers that make Alex Ross look slapdash was that she was earning too much cash elsewhere, but Mills says he's shown her work around the major publishers without success. Dark Horse said her storytelling wasn't up to scratch.

My suggestion is that Tharg should get Dalton drawing Future Shocks, 3rillers, Judge Beeny or Maitland solo series, a Maze Dumoir reboot - anything:

http://www.faydaltonillustration.com/page17.htm

Link Prime

maryanddavid

Pat should write a continuation of Diceman and get Fay to draw it.
From the little I have seen, a fantastic artist.

Colin YNWA

Well can't comment on her storytelling but adored the cover she did and would love her to get the catch to learn her trade.

Just goes to show how difficult it is. Someone of that talent struggling is astonishing!

Theblazeuk

The only bit of Ostriches I enjoyed were the 'Files' she illustrated. More dynamic than a Greg Land or Bryan Hitch drawing any day.

Bah.

TordelBack

I'll echo the general bewilderment, Dalton is a hell of a talent.

Even so,  I still can't unsee the Urban-sized helmet that Anderson is cradling...

IndigoPrime

I thought her art was pretty good. I'd be happy to see her on Anderson, assuming her Anderson at some point remembered how her uniform's zip worked.

SIP

I love her style, but can see that she is possibly accepted more as a pin up artist than a strip artist. Would be happy to see her regularly in the prog.

Proudhuff

She could get work illustrating  the 'What kate did' website, or maybe that's just me...
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

—INSERT NAME OF TALENTED ARTIST HERE— can't get work in comics.

It'd be a long list. Go take a look at Mark Millar's Hit Girl audition thread, for example, and note the number of talented, professionally published artists prepared to publicly audition for a gig on there who aren't currently working.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 May, 2016, 04:52:15 PM
—INSERT NAME OF TALENTED ARTIST HERE— can't get work in comics.

It'd be a long list. Go take a look at Mark Millar's Hit Girl audition thread, for example, and note the number of talented, professionally published artists prepared to publicly audition for a gig on there who aren't currently working.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah,  I looked at the submissions on there,  surprised me how many industry professionals put themselves up for it. I imagine the number of people wanting to move into the industry has only grown in the last 20 years,  Makes sense that there would be a shortage of work.   

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 May, 2016, 04:52:15 PM
—INSERT NAME OF TALENTED ARTIST HERE— can't get work in comics.

Cheers

Jim

Especially considering how crap Millar can be.  Granted he has produced some better work since moving to his intended Marvel / DC market but even so he can still produce some tripe.  Sorry but there is just so much of what he has done that cannot even be described as mediocre.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 31 May, 2016, 07:15:25 PM
Especially considering how crap Millar can be.

You saw the part where he was offering ten thousand bucks an issue plus royalties, on a guaranteed eight issues over a one year period, right?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 May, 2016, 07:36:56 PM

You saw the part where he was offering ten thousand bucks an issue plus royalties, on a guaranteed eight issues over a one year period, right?

Cheers

Jim

I can't even begin to list the number of performers / acts that have been considered popular over the years but have been obscenely dire.  "For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?"

BTW: I know the Bonfire of the Vanities answer.

AlexF

Lots of talented people out there for sure, not least on that Millarworld link. But frankly I'd rather see Fay Dalton over any of them - it really stands out from the crowd.