Main Menu

Doctor Who Christmas Special

Started by Steve Green, 29 December, 2016, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

I gave up on Doctor Who when I realised that it was no longer being made for me. It was being made for overseas sales to BBC America. Round about Matt Smith's second year as The Doctor. It went downhill for me after that. I still watched the odd episode but once Capaldi became The Doctor I decided it was the right time to make a clean break.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Dudley

I thought it was great.  Capaldi definitely shaping up to be one of the best Doctors now he's rid of Clara and the "Am I a guid man?" subplot.

Mardroid

I'm not sure it is the best Christmas special, but I enjoyed this year's a lot. I thought it was good fun.

Then again I'm partial to Christopher Reeve's Superman character and films too.

Proudhuff

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 30 December, 2016, 10:08:36 AM
I enjoyed it despite it being an obvious plug to American audiences it wasn't too mawkish and I thought the aliens with their flip-top heads was a great idea. Peter Capaldi seems to be a very convincing older Doctor like William Hartnell and Jon Pertwee combined.

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richard

I thought it was good.

For some reason, every year, people who never miss an episode come on this messageboard and write an essay about how shit it is. Pay no attention.

Andy B

Quote from: Richard on 03 January, 2017, 08:27:12 PM
For some reason, every year, people who never miss an episode come on this messageboard and write an essay about how shit it is. Pay no attention.

That's not inconsistent... if they didn't love Dr Who, why would they care that it's shit?

I'm happy to see that a bunch of people liked it more than I did.

Andy B

Quote from: 8-Ball on 02 January, 2017, 11:56:33 PM
I still watched the odd episode but once Capaldi became The Doctor I decided it was the right time to make a clean break.

That's a shame... Try 'Under the Lake', and if you don't like that, then give up.

Leigh S

Quote from: Andy B on 04 January, 2017, 05:30:50 AM
Quote from: 8-Ball on 02 January, 2017, 11:56:33 PM
I still watched the odd episode but once Capaldi became The Doctor I decided it was the right time to make a clean break.

That's a shame... Try 'Under the Lake', and if you don't like that, then give up.

"Mummy on the Orient Express" was for me about the best distillation of Nu Who done right, but I still havent got round to watching the last 2 episodes of the last series or the 2 Christmas specials following

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Andy B on 04 January, 2017, 05:25:56 AM
Quote from: Richard on 03 January, 2017, 08:27:12 PM

That's not inconsistent... if they didn't love Dr Who, why would they care that it's shit?

I'm happy to see that a bunch of people liked it more than I did.

Yeah I think it's in terminal decline but I still find myself curiously drawn to it, with a frantic junkie madness that one day somehow it'll be as good as once maybe I dreamt it was. I don't resent people for liking it though that would be insanity itself. I like hearing people's opinion on stuff - negative or positive, I wouldn't be posting on here otherwise.

Perhaps we should have a "People who are annoyed with Dr Who but are somehow watching it regardless" thread and a "People who love Dr Who" thread? That way we wouldn't have any dreaded contamination of the two types.

IndigoPrime

I wonder how much of this is fatigue with the lack of novelty now, though. After all, how many shows are people still desperately clamouring to watch after nine series? In fact, I'm wondering how many things I rush to watch that have gone on for more than a couple. Game of Thrones, perhaps.

Doctor Who for me sits in that place that's kind of cosy. It wouldn't be world-ending if I missed it, but I still find it a decent way to while away 45 minutes. (See also: Elementary, Qi, and so on.)

Leigh S

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 January, 2017, 04:21:03 PM
I wonder how much of this is fatigue with the lack of novelty now, though. After all, how many shows are people still desperately clamouring to watch after nine series? In fact, I'm wondering how many things I rush to watch that have gone on for more than a couple. Game of Thrones, perhaps.

Doctor Who for me sits in that place that's kind of cosy. It wouldn't be world-ending if I missed it, but I still find it a decent way to while away 45 minutes. (See also: Elementary, Qi, and so on.)

certainly I think novelty is part of the problem - look at the journey the original show takes in it's first 11 years, from Hartnell to Pertwee! That is some journey, with a lot of different approahces being tried out by disparate production teams not really paying a huge amount of diligence to the tone of what has gone before (though being surprisingly faithful to what is factually introduced in the most part to the degree it always feels like the same show).

Contrast that with 11 years of a kind of fan based "vision" of what the show/character should be that has persisted from Eccleston onwards (dialed back in that first series, but with its success, the tidal wave was kind of unleashed and we are still playing out teh same dramas "Am I a good man?" asks Capaldi... STILL

Dandontdare

Watched it with my brother on Xmas day - at the end I declared it the best of the Xmas specials, he thought it was the worst! I hated all those mawkishly sentimental ones where the destruction of the universe is halted by the power of Christmas wishes or somesuch bollox. I think they should be FUN - not heavy on continuity, just a bit of festive silliness, and this one had it in spades.

Anyone notice the geeky reference at the beginning when the PR guy tells the assembled press "for more details, see Ms Seigel or Ms Schuster afterwards"

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 January, 2017, 02:36:15 PM
Anyone notice the geeky reference at the beginning when the PR guy tells the assembled press "for more details, see Ms Seigel or Ms Schuster afterwards"
I didn't notice, but I'll listen more carefully next time (and there will be a next time, as I enjoyed the episode).

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 05 January, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 January, 2017, 02:36:15 PM
I didn't notice, but I'll listen more carefully next time (and there will be a next time, as I enjoyed the episode).
Nope, that one went over my head.