Main Menu

The Daily Dredds, Vol. 2

Started by Sector Chief, 09 March, 2015, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 March, 2015, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: Sector Chief on 13 March, 2015, 07:15:59 PM
Why do we have to wait sooooooo long for volume 2?

If vol 1 was anything to go by then just sourcing the files for every story and getting the best possible copy/scan of each will take most of that time!

I suspect there are more complete runs of the daily strips in fan hands than there were of the missing weeklies. There's at least one occasion, though, where the editor mis-read the episode number (0 instead of 6)  and printed the same episode twice, completely missing one out. There are also more spelling mistakes and balloon tags pointing at the wrong character raising the question as to whether you reprint as was intended or as published! One story sees Dredd fighting the Undertaker, except for one episode, where he's described as fighting underwater.

In spite of that there are some fantastic strips including the return of Mean Machine, Judge Death, Red Razors and the talking horse from The Black Plague story. We also see Dredd being sent to Hondo-City by McGruder, to see their Robo-Judges in action. Naturally, one goes wrong and Dredd has to confront it. Shortly after this was published, Mechanismo appeared in the Meg.

If you're nearby it's well worth visiting the British library for a read.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: sheridan on 13 March, 2015, 09:51:25 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 March, 2015, 07:41:15 PM
I am really loving Volume 1. I read two or three each night before I lay my head.d to rest.

How do you manage to stop at just one or two?  Or are you talking about Alien Tongues and Pyro?

A beautiful woman enters the room and gets undressed so I put he book down.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richard

Dash Decent

Now up for pre-order at Amazon UK:

The Daily Dredds Vol. 2 - Hardcover, 6th October 2016, 96 pages.

This second volume of the Daily Star Dredds features the weekly strips published in the popular national tabloid that ran between July 1986 to the end of 1988, featuring action-packed stories from John Wagner and Alan Grant and sumptuous  art from Ian Gibson, Mike Collins and the legendary Ron Smith.

96 pages seems a bit slim after the 320 pages in the first volume.  Are these in colour?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Max Headroom

Quote from: glassstanley on 14 March, 2015, 08:03:24 AM

There's at least one occasion, though, where the editor mis-read the episode number (0 instead of 6)  and printed the same episode twice, completely missing one out.

Does this 'missing episode' exist anywhere to potentially be discovered for the collection??

sheridan

It does seem to have slimmed down a bit - I'll have to have a closer look later and try to work out exactly which stories will be reprinted, and where that leaves the later stories (after Wagner and Grant left).

Robo-K33F

Quote from: sheridan on 03 May, 2016, 01:14:09 PM
It does seem to have slimmed down a bit - I'll have to have a closer look later and try to work out exactly which stories will be reprinted, and where that leaves the later stories (after Wagner and Grant left).

The page count listed is incorrect. It will be similar to vol. one.

maryanddavid

Yay! This Volume I reckon will be the strongest. Lots of Gibson and Smith goodness with cracking scripts.

sheridan

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 03 May, 2016, 07:38:10 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 03 May, 2016, 01:14:09 PM
The page count listed is incorrect. It will be similar to vol. one.
Thanks for the confirmation (and for the good news!)

I just reminded myself how many of the daily strips there were - it's difficult to judge as the first volume had a mix of the weekend and daily strips, but if it continues in the current format (I hope it does, even if the later stories are a bit ropey) it should continue to about five or six volumes.  Let's hope it isn't two years between each one!

Michael Knight

So excited about this the first volume was superb. Remember reading this dredd in the 90s Irish star newspaper. Speaking of newspaper strips will the Metro newspaper dredd strips be reprinted? :) 

Richard

Hopefully not. They never felt like proper Dredd.

sheridan

Quote from: Michael Knight on 11 May, 2016, 07:25:20 PM
So excited about this the first volume was superb. Remember reading this dredd in the 90s Irish star newspaper. Speaking of newspaper strips will the Metro newspaper dredd strips be reprinted? :)
I'm hoping there'll be a special section at the end, collecting all other newspaper strips (the 1995 film adaptation, plus the Metro - not sure if there are others?)

Large48

Well there's lots of the original artwork available in complete story runs together in places.

I suspect the 1995 colour film adaptation (where we see Dredds face in print!!!!!) and the Metro ones will never see print even though Ron Smith artwork for the former is as lovely as ever.

Hopefully Robo-K33F will let us know again when they are after the original artwork..........
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

sheridan

Tharg's Future Shop - does this mean there's just the one edition coming out (i.e. no book plate edition)?

Leigh S

Forgotten this was imminent!  Woohoo!  What with discovering the Flash Gordon dailys have finally started to get some reprint love from Titan, this is exccellent news for Daily lovers (fnarf) - Roll on Vol 3