Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

TordelBack

von Boom

Goaty

von Boom

Just when you think this thread can't get any better.  :lol:

Satanist

Going to a second viewing of this tomorrow with the kids, looking forward to relaxing and watching it without being nervous about the quality.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a film at the cinema more than once.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Satanist on 11 February, 2016, 05:06:33 PM
Going to a second viewing of this tomorrow with the kids, looking forward to relaxing and watching it without being nervous about the quality.

I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Me too, far, far more. Enjoy.

Although I think the third time was my favourite, that may be because we went Imax 3D, and it was the best quality picture I have ever seen - the nose-on shot of the Star Destroyer hanging over the audience was simply extraordinary. I tried my best to take advantage of the crispness and size of screen to peer at what was going on in the background, but kept getting drawn back to the characters - which is to its credit.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just realised I haven't posted on this thread.

I enjoyed it. I think I will do so more once I see it without needing to take a small boy to the toilet every ten minutes. And it was interesting that the bit in the bar cellar was terrifying for my eight year old.

Anyhow, in a mild geek out, I'm going to throw out the speculation my boys and I had in the car on the way back. We think:

1. Luke is the prophesised one who will bring balance to the force. No suprise there, but it means that he is neither light side nor dark, but in the middle. He wants to join the two into one force that reflects the universe rather than have it light or dark. (Think of it like alignment in D&D, where light = good and dark = evil. Luke wants the force to be true neutral).

2. As such, Luke wants to bring down both the light side and the dark.

3. He tried to teach Kylo/ Ben this philosophy and, in doing, do left him tormented and torn between light and dark. See, for example, how he speaks when he talks to his father. Not everyone can be as zen as Luke and so they tilt one way or the other.

4. Luke deliberately tried to open Ben to the Dark Side and the chat about him Ben being turned by a bad guy to the Dark Side is like Obi Wan saying Vader killed Luke's father; true "from a certain point of view" (and I'd bet these words are used by Luke to explain his actions). Ben/ Kylo found Snokes as a post-Luke mento but hasn't yet been trained by Snokes.

5. I don't think Luke is Snokes. I think that Luke will battle Snokes, and that Ren will battle Kylo as she sides with him. She is zen enough.

6. Willing to bet that episode 9, following the previous film's naming conventions (first episode descriptive, second one an action and the third one possessive) is "The Balance of the Force".

Of course I will be wrong, but sometimes it's nice to have a pub-like chat about what you think with fellow geeks.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Interesting ideas Dr X. To be honest I'd be quite happy to see things develop along those lines.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

Well we all went for a second viewing and yes its much better to just relax and enjoy the film. Still not keen on Snoke or some of the dialogue but damn does it look like Star Wars should and THAT scene still hit me right in the feels even though I knew what was coming.

So whens this hit home release so I can watch it again?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

18th April apparently! I almost pre-ordered, but oddly there's no 3D Bluray and that's what I'm after. Odd that it's not listed so am suspicious that it'll appear down the line, holding off.

dweezil2

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 March, 2016, 03:28:58 PM
18th April apparently! I almost pre-ordered, but oddly there's no 3D Bluray and that's what I'm after. Odd that it's not listed so am suspicious that it'll appear down the line, holding off.

3D disc out for Xmas apparently!

Disney are short of dosh, so they need us to buy it twice!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo