Main Menu

The 2D Fighters thread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 31 January, 2016, 12:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Figured it was about time someone opened a thread for the vast back catalogue of 2D based fighters out on the market.

I'm currently punching up about 2 hours of gameplay on Ultra Street Fighter IV in the build up to Street Fighter V in a few months which i'm not 100% certain could possibly live up to the smooth gameplay mechanics of IV, despite much improved graphics. It already appears to have a stunning and essential roster of characters, mind you, though i'm still uncertain who'se daft idea it was ot make Guille and Juri Han DLC only! And where the hell is Dudley?!

There is also a new King of Fighters game on the horrizon, however I have never played a KoF game in my life despite knowing i'll very much enjoy them. I see theirs a tri-bundle pack on steam for a very reasonable price, so is that the best entry point for a new player? Is the gameplay more akin to Tekken than Street Fighter (i.e. hand to hand combo based rather than projectiles)?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/64698/

NapalmKev

I'm a big fan of the Street fighter series, the new game looks quite tasty. Let me know if you need your arse smacked by the mighty Ken.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Zenith 666

You'll have to up your training regime hawk as SFV is out in three weeks February 16th.

Professor Bear

Always thought it a shame Gundam Battle Assault 3 wasn't more widely-released, as I still break out the US PS2 to play it now and then.  Despite the 3D graphics, it remains a 2D fighter with some subtle but effective balancing between suits/characters, and I love the map/ladder navigation system that lets you play through the game story/levels by way of easier or harder fights, mixing survival waves with regular one-on-one and one-on-two fights.  I like its use of ranged attacks, too, which normally bug me in fighters.

JamesC

I really liked the Injustice: Gods Among Us superhero game made by the Mortal Kombat people.
I reckon it's about the most fun 2d fighter I've played.

I never liked Street Fighter much, with all those crazy joystick manoeuvres, I prefer the button based special moves like you get in Tekken.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Waaaaaiiittt....

You're saying there are 2D fighters other than Tekken?
Lock up your spoons!

richerthanyou

Quote from: NapalmKev on 31 January, 2016, 01:39:33 PM
Let me know if you need your arse smacked by the mighty Ken.

Cheers

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about computer games  :-X

I've never really 'got' fighting games. I've played a ton of em. But it's never been more than button mashing to me. Sometimes you mash the buttons better than the other bloke a win, sometimes he mashes better than you. And if you are really lucky you pull off a special move. The furthest I ever got with learning a fighting game was getting Blanka to do the electric thing.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 31 January, 2016, 02:16:28 PM
You'll have to up your training regime hawk as SFV is out in three weeks February 16th.
Woof! That soon?! Epicness indeed, gotta start maining Vega more as he's my secondary starter character for getting into new games after Guille, who as I said is for some odd reason DLC only.

That being said, new Shadaloo member F.A.N.G looks like a brilliant new character, lot's of trolling can be had from his move set i'm sure.

Zenith 666

I'll Be spending the first two weeks in tutorial and training mode.Really need to find time to build a new arcade stick for the ps4.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 31 January, 2016, 09:54:35 PM
You're saying there are 2D fighters other than Tekken?
Very much this. Obviously played Street Fighter 2 a lot - both in the arcade and on my flatmates SNES - but have never really been able to take to later iterations. I actually took SF4 back to the shop after half an afternoon as I thought it was so shit.

A big part of it is probably just down to unfamiliarity and what someone else mentioned about the difference in controls. I find it extremely difficult to pull off the sort of half and quarter turns you need on a modern joypad, whereas Tekken's button combos seem much easier to get a handle on. Have played and own most installments but I think my favourite will always be the first Tekken Tag. Wasted a ludicrous amount of my life playing that and various Tony Hawk games with two mates.

Favourite characters: Jun/Asuka; Bruce; Lei

The only King of Fighters I've ever played was a machine they had in the bar of the Dreadnought Hotel in Bathgate in the mid 90s. Can't remember what version it was but there was a guy with a stick who we called "STICK!" and it might not even have been KoF.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr

I remember.....

The Street Fighter clone called Dark-Stalkers[/v] and another called Time-Killer

Favourites of mine!

I 3D ones I like....

Soul-Caliber and Killer Instinct, the latter not sure it could be really classified as 3D fighter. The fighters are rendered in 3D at least.

I think it was Virtual-Fighter that is the first of those. After Virtual Cop the shooter.

James Stacey

Dark stalkers was great fun. Nothing has beaten Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the PSX though

Hawkmumbler

Darkstalkers is a lot of fun yeah, but not so much a clone of Street Fighter as you might think, being arguably Capcoms second most lucrative property.

NapalmKev

Street fighter V was waiting for me when I got home from work, the little tease. Outstanding game, nice graphics and fast/super smooth gameplay. Couldn't manage to get an online game going which I assume was because of first day server jitters.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Heck Kev, rub it in why don't ya! I won't get a chance to fire it up until Tuesday at least! :lol: