Main Menu

Only Michael Carroll can rescue the Emerald Isle

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 April, 2012, 06:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 April, 2012, 05:52:18 PM
I've never read the Ennis Emerald Isle stories, but, based on the descriptions I'm seeing here, wouldn't it be possible to rationalise the whole spud gun thing (et al) as Ireland turning itself into one giant tourist trap for American tourists and playing up its national stereotypes.

IIRC that is pretty much how they did rationalise it. The whole 'spud gun' thing was really taking it a bit far, though. "We have so many potatoes we use them as ammo!". Yeah right. [spoiler]Of course, in a wacky twist, they turn out not to be 'real' potatoes at all.  ::)[/spoiler]

M.I.K.

Quote from: Rogue's little mohawks on 08 April, 2012, 10:23:52 AM
The Middenface thing is kind of a parody of how Scottish people are portrayed in comics, rather than a parody of the Scots.

JINGS! CRIVVENS.

Etc.

There's a difference?

Trout

Quote from: M.I.K. on 08 April, 2012, 09:42:54 PM
Quote from: Rogue's little mohawks on 08 April, 2012, 10:23:52 AM
The Middenface thing is kind of a parody of how Scottish people are portrayed in comics, rather than a parody of the Scots.

JINGS! CRIVVENS.

Etc.

There's a difference?

Yes, because often the depiction of Scottish people in comics was done by DC Thomson, which is of course a Scottish company. It was done consciously, with a knowing wink. Characters like Middenface kind of continue that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 April, 2012, 05:52:18 PM
I've never read the Ennis Emerald Isle stories, but, based on the descriptions I'm seeing here, wouldn't it be possible to rationalise the whole spud gun thing (et al) as Ireland turning itself into one giant tourist trap for American tourists and playing up its national stereotypes.

Given Belfast's current obsessions with turning everything into something Titanic related, I can easily see how, in a few hundred years, we'd be turned into one giant shipyard with a big boat in the middle - all for the precious tourist dollar.

-pj

Yeah, that was exactly what it was.  As Tharg pointed out at the time, you can't really accuse an Irish writer of being racist against the Irish.  But it just wasn't all that good, is alls.  Some of the dialogue was embarrassingly shite and the storyline pretty much went nowhere.  Help to fix it, please, PJ!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

a chosen rider

I thought Emerald Isle was a fairly Dredd-worthy story idea spoiled by incompetent handling.  (Which pretty much describes all the Ennis Dredd I've read, to be honest.)  It could certainly be rescued by revisiting with a bit more depth and better writing.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

JOE SOAP

Forget Emerald Isle part deux, Mike Carroll's too busy writing ipad reviews for his hipster pa;s:

http://sociable.co/meme/somewhat-app-rehensive/

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Bat King

Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

bluemeanie

Why not get a REAL Irish writer on instead of Carroll?

I've heard him talk. No way that accent is legitimate. Plastic paddy for sure... to be sure.

JayzusB.Christ

I knew he was faking it, the bowld hoor's get.

Anyway, for a cool, proper version of a violent future Ireland, everyone here must read City of Bohane by Kevin Barry.  Way too low-tech for Dredd's world, but a film of it is coming out soon and you too can have the chance to loudly say the book was better during the closing credits.  People love that.  Better still, you can loudly point out the differences from the book when the film is playing. Again, people appreciate that, it's sort of like informative Easter eggs during the film
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bat King on 11 April, 2012, 03:02:35 AM
Dang - forgot to re-use my "Mike who?" joke that got mistaken for a serious comment....

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35232.msg653322.html#msg653322

you're not gioing to let me forget that are you? I was drunk and grumpy!

Bat King

It made me snigger...

In truth it is easy to misunderstand the typed word; lack of tone, body language, sound effects even...

But no, not letting it lie, yet.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JayzusB.Christ

PreacherCain

Here's another (Irish) vote for more Emerald Isle nonsense!

Especially if it involes getting Steve Dillion on art :P  Ooh, or Declan Shalvey, don't think he's ever done anything for 2000AD!

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 April, 2012, 04:18:46 AM
As Tharg pointed out at the time, you can't really accuse an Irish writer of being racist against the Irish.

Although you can accuse a Northern Irish person of pretending to be Irish if it helps deflect not-unreasonable criticism that said writer keeps coming back to the same straw-man arguments against one particular racial group.