Main Menu

Dredd:Blu Ray review

Started by chuffsteruk, 18 December, 2012, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Teivion on 05 January, 2013, 01:09:47 PM
Its a dreamy question, but does anyone know the kind of budget those movies on The Horror Channel / Movies For Men etc have ?
I'd happily watch a Dredd movie with that kind of budget, and if anyones seen the SFX on CBBC Wizards Vs Aliens I am pretty sure Millenium could do an awesome job here in the Uk.

If anyone has an idea on those sort of budgets, I'd love to know ?
Z- Budget movies. Meaning you could not even buy a Boot's meal deal  with the amount of money they spent on it.

radiator

I'd rather have no movie at all than some low budget dross.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 05 January, 2013, 01:24:32 PM
Dredd has no charm?

He didn't bring flowers to Anderson's assessment.

Teivion

Quote from: radiator on 05 January, 2013, 01:44:33 PM

I guess I'm thinking more in the line of Spooks, Lewis, The Killing -  hour long or feature length - that sort of thing really...

radiator

Quote from: Teivion on 05 January, 2013, 01:54:40 PM

I guess I'm thinking more in the line of Spooks, Lewis, The Killing -  hour long or feature length - that sort of thing really...

All well and good, but when you try and do sci fi on that kind of money...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: radiator on 05 January, 2013, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 05 January, 2013, 01:54:40 PM

All well and good, but when you try and do sci fi on that kind of money...
...You get the Wing Commander movie. Oh dear.

Steve Green

You're basing that comparison on what was achievable at a VFX level 14 years ago.

A better comparision would be the Blood and Chrome series. I've not watched it to comment on the quality, but it's very green screen heavy.

Can't seem to find any concrete figures on budget, apart from one of $2m, but I'm not sure if that is just the pilot as it seems to have had a convoluted production.

I think you're talking around a £1m an episode for something like Spooks, seems to be the figure bandied about.

As has been said, sci-fi is a different beast, but I see a lot of digital work on non-sci-fi shows, like Ugly Betty where they've done a lot of background replacement.

radiator

Dredd now occupies no.3 (Blu Ray) and no.5 (DVD) of Amazon's Film & TV top ten!

Richmond Clements

The Empire podcast review of the year episode gives Dredd a few nice shout outs.

MR. ELIMINATOR

shaolin_monkey

JOE SOAP

radiator

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 January, 2013, 05:01:37 PM
The Empire podcast review of the year episode gives Dredd a few nice shout outs.

I've been listening to a lot of 'best of the year' type podcasts and Dredd is coming up again and again.

On the Modern Media Myth podcast - which tends to focus on discussions of superhero movies - many of the panelists 'biggest disappointment' of the year was not 'film x was shit', but that Dredd did so badly at the box office. Their actual Dredd roundtable episode is great and well worth a listen too.

dweezil2

Glowing 4 star review in the latest SFX magazine's rated section.

And equally glowing review of 2000ad's recent Trifecta series in its comic section.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

chuffsteruk

OH JOY OF JOYS!!!

My wonderful Wife is treating me to a brand new 3D tv, which I'll get in time for the Blu Ray release!! :)