Main Menu

Dredd Helmet Paint Job

Started by chris_askham, 14 March, 2017, 11:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

I'm about to start the process of painting my helmet  :-[
so I'll be looking for tips myself.

I've thought about using a replacement visor for a face guard which will need to be trimmed to size (can get them for less than a £5 on eBay) and get tinting film which will allow for the "clear" strip at the bottom of the visor. Only thing I have to sus out is out to fix this to the helmet.

Looking forward to see the progress
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

chris_askham

So here we go so far - sanded, primed, and painted in matte black. Next step is to mask off everything i want to keep black and then crack out the red paint. Have to say that this next stage is where I start worrying about things getting a bit messy.

Krakajac

Great work - looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Tjm86

This thread title has to be a winner for the "Mrs Slocombe Award for Thinly Veiled Innuendo".

:o

Trooper McFad

Looks good - I need to get my finger out and get started with mine. Just a bit nervous I feck it up.

Good luck

positronic

Matte black. Well, of course it's your helmet your choice. I would have thought high-gloss, or at least it's what those replica ones seem to look like.

Also, no one's mentioned it, but you might want to consider some kind of smoke black plastic sheeting, since it occurs to me a pre-made sort of motorcycle or welding helmet shield isn't just going to be a simple cut-to-fit and pop-in-place job. Most likely you're going to need to custom shape it to fit the precise contours of the edges (as well as fitting flush to the back of the crosspiece in front). I'd go with the thinnest stuff I could find that won't crack or break easily, since any additional thickness you add to the inside edges of the helmet is likely to affect the comfort or snugness if actually worn.

Although if you could presumably check the fit by hand bending carefully (maybe not though, if it needs to be cut before you can do that) of the welder's or motorcycle helmet shield before you purchase it, that still might work too, depending on what kind you find.

And if custom shaping to fit all those interior edges is indeed what you need to do, the you'll need a heat gun.

positronic

Oh yeah, since we're on the paint thing, take your time to consider all of your options. What's the look you want? "Comic book" Dredd? Primary color yellow and red? Or something more snazzy? You have various options of metal or pearlescent finshes in both colors, and a range anywhere from red to more slightly wine-colored, or yellow-orange to true gold, so pretend you're choosing colors for the inside of your your house that you'll have to live with for a while. You'll be happier in the end if you don't rush the choices. You probably want a nice clear hard lacquer finsh too, to protect your final choices.

Tony Angelino

I know I'm in a minority of one here but I would also go with a dark blue instead of black. I can still never see it as a black uniform.

positronic

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 14 April, 2017, 05:25:25 PM
I know I'm in a minority of one here but I would also go with a dark blue instead of black. I can still never see it as a black uniform.

That's what I meant about "comic book" Dredd. You try to reproduce the colors you actually SEE in the comic, rather than your mental interpretation of what they're supposed to represent. Black in a comic book just looks like a featureless blob of ink, therefore it's dark blue, or a combination of blue and black ink. If you were going with that you'd probably want a straight bright yellow and straight bright red to reflect primary comic book inks (going back 40 years). Modern comic books have a better range of colors, but the more limited ones available with the old 4-color printing press technology have a nice nostalgic feel.

Trooper McFad

I had this very dilemma which version of Dredd to go for. In the end I've went for the Dredd (2012) colours as I was able to get a 2012 movie replica gun for a decent price so I can display them together. Once I've saved my pennies I'll get another Helmet and a comic MKII and pay homage to the great man  :)

Eventually I'd like to get the MKI and the "original" style Helmet to complete the collection.

I've just finished the base coats on my helmet and gun so hopefully finish over the weekend  :)

Trooper McFad

Well I got the finger out and prepped the Helmet/Gun/Gas Canister/Flash bangs & Breach mines.

Helmet is painted & now waiting to be distressed (I like this look and it hides any mistakes in my initial painting)
Gun is finished
Gas Canister is finished
Flash Bangs Painted - just detail to be added
Breach Mines Painted - just detail to be added

I'm most chuffed with The Flash Bangs & Breach Mines as these were made by my own fair hands  :)

I'll post pictures when everything is finished.

Then it's on to my next project but don't tell the wife   :D

positronic

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 16 April, 2017, 09:14:39 PM
Then it's on to my next project but don't tell the wife   :D

Well if she can't smell the paint, that's her problem!

Trooper McFad

Just read the posting rules and have now asked to get permissions to post pictures of the finished Helmet (well not yet distressed as I can't bring myself to do the damage  :-\ )
I'm very happy with the MkII paint job but most pleased with the Breach mines & flash bangs as these were made by my fair hand. Not perfect but enjoyed the process of research, problem solving, wood working, glueing, sanding and painting. The finished products are not as refined as the ones you can buy but my ones will make good fridge magnets and Christmas tree baubles on my comic book themed tree decorations.

Now on to my next project (GI equipment) I've been re-reading all my Rouge books to decide which style, of which there are many, to attempt to re-create. Colours are also a nightmare to decide on. Favourite so far are the early Dave Gibbons progs. Anyway all this means I have to convert part of the garage to a workshop and buy better tools. :D

positronic

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 25 April, 2017, 07:36:03 PM
Now on to my next project (GI equipment) I've been re-reading all my Rouge books to decide which style, of which there are many, to attempt to re-create. Colours are also a nightmare to decide on. Favourite so far are the early Dave Gibbons progs. Anyway all this means I have to convert part of the garage to a workshop and buy better tools. :D

Your instincts are on-target. If Dave Gibbons isn't the definitive Rogue Trooper artist, then I don't know who is. Didn't he design all of that equipment as the original artist on Rogue? He didn't one day just wake up and become the guy who drew Watchmen, y'know.  ;)  He was doing it all long before that.

Tony Angelino

Yes. Go for the Dave Gibbons original.

What colour was the helmet anyway? Green? Brown? I have seen Dave Gibbons art with both.

Bad enough that arguments start over Dredd's uniform colour but this could be the new big discussion point on the forum.