Main Menu

World of Tanks (Ennis & Ezquerra)

Started by Rogue Judge, 29 August, 2016, 07:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Has anybody heard of this series? Issue #1 comes out this week and looks pretty cool. Its based on a video game (which I've never heard of) but it has an amazing creative team. Any body here considering checking it out?

Preview here: http://www.cbr.com/world-of-tanks-1/

Colin YNWA

Yeah I was asking about the computer game a wee while back to see if it sounded interesting. Apparently the game is just WW2 tank fetish stuff, very straightforward and so the series has a pretty free hand. I'm going to go for it therefore, though I can't remember if I put it on my pull list!

Rogue Judge

If you give it a read, please let me know if you like it. I have a pretty limited pull list currently...if you recommend it Ill have to give it a go!

pauljholden

It's a straight forward war Garth Ennis war story. Carlos drew issues 1 and 2, I'm drawing 3-5.

-PJ

Proudhuff

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 September, 2016, 08:20:34 AM
It's a straight forward war Garth Ennis war story. Carlos drew issues 1 and 2, I'm drawing 3-5.

-PJ

Huzzah!
or should that be Hussar?

I got this and it could easily sit in the War Stories series: Fresh faced crews in Fireflys and Churchills Vs
Kursk hardened Waffen Panzerscorp in the Bocage. What's not to like?

And The squirrel said he can't draw straight lines! pah! he does a great job here, giving character to uniformed men isn't easy, but he does a grand job of it.

Tough act to follow PJ... nae pressure  ;)

DDT did a job on me

Tony Angelino

I love the game. Helps if you have an interest in tanks and don't have the quick reflexes for games like Call of Duty. The game is quite fun though and its not a 'forklift simulator' type.

Jim_Campbell

How's that research coming along, PJ? :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

That looks great.  I shall pick that up, with the black berets and what looks very similar to a Royal Tank regiment cap badge, it reminds me of my army days!

pauljholden

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2016, 11:10:45 AM

How's that research coming along, PJ? :-)

oh man, the humanity!

(helpfully found you can buy the original 1943[ok, modern reprint of same] manual for the hero tank in the strip, so that helped ENORMOUSLY!)

-pj

Rogue Judge

Sounds great paulijholden, any way you can spoil us with a sketch or page you are working on?  :D
The first issue was really good, straight forward as described but I will happily read an Ennis war comic any day!

vzzbux

Just found out about this whilst watching my son destroying online players. Will this be collected and how long a run will it be?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

pauljholden

Quote from: vzzbux on 15 November, 2016, 06:57:23 PM
Just found out about this whilst watching my son destroying online players. Will this be collected and how long a run will it be?
V

This is 5 issues, would be surprised if it's not collected (Dark Horse do glorious collections usually and I suspect - though don't know - World of Tanks want a nice big fact book)

-pj

Smith

Its actually better then I expected.And I havent played the game.

Bad City Blue

Nothing to do with the game (except for all the tanks, obviously), just another "War Stories" tale so worth reading if you like those.

No disrespect to PJ but it's annoying that there will be an art change mid way.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

pauljholden

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 17 November, 2016, 11:04:12 AM
Nothing to do with the game (except for all the tanks, obviously), just another "War Stories" tale so worth reading if you like those.

No disrespect to PJ but it's annoying that there will be an art change mid way.

It's no one's ideal situation - I think there's a tendency as a reader to assume that these decisions are taken lightly, there are real constraints on your options when an artist isn't available to finish a book, switching in for a different artist is by many measures the least-worst.

(though, for the record, I'm drawing 3-5 so I'll have drawn more than half)

-PJ