Main Menu

Moore vs. Morrison. This time its WAR!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 November, 2012, 07:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

BEARD-JIZM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 November, 2012, 03:03:34 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 November, 2012, 02:23:50 PMand the fact that the majority of Alan Moore's works rips of/homages/references (delete according to taste) characters and stories from other people, a technique which he's surely taken as far as it could possibly go in LOEG. Apart from Halo Jones and V for Vendetta, I'm finding it hard to think of any AM story that doesn't pastiche actual characters, or at the very least easilly recognisable character types.

Every writer of comics uses archetypes at some point, even if only to subvert expectations.  Take that tool from the box and you lose pretty much everything of note except a few autobiographical GNs.

I was thinking in particular of Top 10 which I'm rereading at the mo - now obviously lots of superheroes will overlap, there's only so many variations on capes and superpowers possible, but many of them are a little too recognisable - for example the character called The Word, who can control people with the power of his voice, depicted by his speech going red and bold. This came out 4 years after Preacher, the story of a man who can control people with The Word of God, which is depicted by his speech going red and bold - that's not the subversion of an archetype, that's a straight lift!

Professor Bear

So you're saying Garth Ennis ripped off Sandman?

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 November, 2012, 03:31:48 PMThe key difference being that Morrison at least asked Moore if it was OK, something I will bet money that Moore didn't do with Mills.

I'll cede it's a double standard because to be honest, even if 2000ad has long been a patchwork effort I haven't a clue if Skinn or the then-2000ad editors had a policy where you just pitched stuff for anything in their books or if editors came looking.

I will also offer that I have never seen Moore or Morrison in the same room at the same time, and Moore's beard and accent are almost too silly to be real.

zombemybabynow

i respect professor bear's opinion - simply for his forum pic of; the wizard moore enjoying a unicorn-bukakke fest
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Professor Bear

I am troubled that your takeaway from this debate - or from anything ever - should be beard jism.

TordelBack

Perfectly valid lifestyle choice.

I often feel I should publish a book of some of the essay scripts submitted when I was a lecturer - then people might understand what 'nicking my stuff' actually meant.  Whole chapters copied out verbatim and unattributed, complete with figure and plate references to illustrations that weren't in the essay, whole paragraphs lifted from Encarta complete with American spellings and code fragments... that's yer actual 'complete rip-off'.  Almost everything else is just stock ladelled from the rich simmering pot of popular culture.  Making a decent bouillabaisse from it, that's the trick.

Professor Bear

I've no sympathy for students that do that.  The whole system is practically engineered from high school onwards just to teach them to change the presentation of already-existing information, so when they get jobs in the real world they'll know how to steal other people's ideas and present them as their own, and if they can't even manage that much they deserve their jobs in advertising.

Steven Denton

Really they should both have dodged the subject; Alan Moore seems to me to be recounting some half remembered stories from back in the days when he gave a shit about comics. Grant Morrison seems to me to be desperate to show that Moore is just a hater but remain the bigger man. His argument doesn't work.

Example: AM 'he felt that he wasn't famous enough, and that a good way of becoming famous would be to say nasty things about me.'

GM 'I don't believe I ever tried to get "famous" by insulting Alan Moore. It doesn't seem the most likely route to celebrity.'

Also GM 'the trash talk seemed to be working, and I was rapidly making a name for myself. Being young, good-looking, and cocky'