Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 October, 2016, 07:15:23 AM
I thought Series 7 was very interesting and the fact that Cosh (I) calls it shite makes me more intrigued to revisit and I'm keen now to re-evaluate.
Well, it's a long time since I saw it but I recall it being a huge disappointment. What had seemed an interesting or fun idea descended into a load of amateurish improvised panting and shrieking.
We never really die.

Apestrife

OASIS: Supersonic

Never seen a music movie before that felt like going to a really good concert. Still can't stop thinking about it.

Not only my love for the band, which started where it leaves off (at 96) but also the point it makes about creating something.

Thought it was cool that the film doesn't gloss anything over. The first drummer wasn't treated right, the Gallagher family history of violence and such. But it also brings in good things to counter the bad stuff, without glorifying anything. For example their mam being a really great person.

Can't wait to buy this on blu ray and show my friends

CrazyFoxMachine

That's right I bought a box-set.

22 Jump Street

Suffers a little for seeing it directly after the first which is a great deal sharper. Yet again it's the self-awareness that saves the day here and the sadly rare moments where it becomes giddy with silliness. The ends credits madness alone is worth the price of admission and again the cast are having a ball. Not terrible but not terribly necessary either.

Radbacker

with 22 Jump Street some of the best laughs are the awareness that they are in a sequal, the bigger budegt on set (Ice Cube ins an a big glass Ice cube of an office, fun as the reference about the final chase in the gold/football buggy as they blew the budget on the opening chase.  I actually think its a bit bettr than the first but not by much.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

GODZILLA (2014, dir. Gareth Edwards)

In spite of not being able to go and see Shin Godzilla because no bastard in te UK can be bothered licensing it...but I digress. Edwards edition to the Gojira pantheon is an interesting beast even when you don't take into account the fact it's the first western take on the franchise since the tristar abomination of '98.

On the whole, it stands up well,the talking heads are no more annoying than in any of the lesser instalments of the Showa era series and is considerably better than the '98 movie despite the minir criticisms. Oh, and when the big G does appear? It. Kicks. Arse.

Mardroid

1998? Has it been that long... :o

Goaty

Gone Girl - as it was debut on Netflix yesterday, finally see it as been ignore any spoilers about it since to now!

That was great! At first as trailers make me thought Ben Affleck [spoiler]did his wife and maybe film show why he did it but that was smart film, [/spoiler] [spoiler]didn't expect that plot and that ending, can't say it, you would understand watch it! [/spoiler]

Tjm86

Well, this is going to decimate dwindling street red but ... the Trolls.  Youngest daughter wanted to see it so yesterday was the last ditch before the end of the half term cinema visit.  Unsurprisingly chirpy with a few decent tunes.  Kept hearing the head chef as C J Cregg but I don't think it was.  Lacked the sort of adult sophistication to make it a real hit.  Better off as video fodder to be honest.  To be fair I have seen far worse  (Stallone's Dredd springs to mind and I still haven't got round to watching Superman IV despite it being part of the box set).

Spikes

Uncommon Valor (1983). The Gene Hackman helmed Vietnam revisited fantasy.

As with fellow macho classics; Who Dares wins, and The Wild Geese, it's so right wing it's unbelievable. But always a fun watch.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just back from Dr Strange. It was great with Oscar worthy effects, IMHO. Not a comic with which I am familar, other than its groovy vibe. But this was a great romp.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Yup, Doctor Strange was a lot of fun, and the most I've enjoyed a Marvel film in quite a while. My one gripe was that I felt like the action scenes had a few too many moving parts to be readable at times (it's just a lot of admittedly eye-popping things happening very quickly and I got a bit overloaded by it I think), but it's got charm and humour and thankfully works as a standalone film that isn't overly concerned about tying in with the rest of the Marvel-verse or relying on any previous knowledge. Good stuff, didn't love it, but certainly enjoyed it a great deal.

In a bit of a Tilda Swinton double-bill we also watched Only Lovers Left Alive, which we loved. A very nice languid atmosphere, some very memorable and amusing lines (we've been quoting it a fair bit already) and despite being about blood sucking vampires we found it very...nice? There's a lovely relationship at its centre and it makes for quite a beautiful film really. [spoiler]The last shot is very creepy mind you, and I was pretty gutted at the one murder that happens (although it was worth it for Hiddleston's brilliantly delivered reaction).[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Me again! Being Halloween last night we put on Halloween but to shake things up made it the Rob Zombie remake instead of the Carpenter classic. That was a mistake. I'd seen it in the cinema and came away thinking it was okay, if pretty pointless and obviously not a patch on the original. Had been curious to revisit it but was surprised at just how much of a misfire it felt this time. All the backstory is a complete misstep, there's very rarely anything approaching the tension that Carpenter managed to get out of the premise, instead just going for audience-bludgeoning brutality as a substitute. The one exception is the sequence towards the end where things go a bit cat and mouse between Laurie and Michael in the old Myers house, that part actually has a bit of menace and got some jumps out of us (and the ending is alright too, but for the rest of it I think we were just bored.

It didn't help that this was the director's cut, which as well as being half an hour longer throws in a bonus [spoiler]rape scene[/spoiler] for nothing other than shock value really. I forget how that scene played out in the theatrical cut but I don't think I remember it being there at all. That coupled with a very leery focus on female nudity and suffering means it's just a bit of an unpleasant watch really when all we were after was a rollicking halloween movie.

As weird as it sounds for a movie about a masked man stabbing teenagers, I can't say I've ever really thought of the Carpenter movie as being mean-spirited if that makes sense (I probably sound mad saying that), but I think without those masterful chops for suspense Zombie must have just decided to just go for tits and violence and hope for the best. I say all this as a big Rob Zombie fan (I've enjoyed all his other movies and am a huge fan of his music and live shows) who is just a bit gutted that he missed the mark so much with this, and I suspect that fandom made me view it in a much more forgiving light on release.

Theblazeuk

The BoxTrolls - delightful kids movie with enough grotty bits to be really entertaining for the wee ones and enough witty dialogue (beautifully brought to life by the star studded cast and the amazing animators) to keep the adults entertained.

JamesC

Pet Semetary.

I'd never seen this before but could remember wanting to see it when all the posters were up at the cinema back in 1989. Somehow I'd never gotten around to it.
I quite enjoyed it but it was nothing like I expected. I thought it was going to be all about zombie animals but instead it was a bit like that Strontium Dog story where Johnny resurrects that kid against his better judgement.
The bits with the murderous toddler were really quite shocking but by the end I'd completely lost sympathy for the main characters - what a bunch of bellends!

The whole thing made me feel quite nostalgic in a 'watching the type of movie we'd have rented from the video shop in the 90s' type way.

Satanist

I watched Harbinger Down which is a "homage" to The Thing. Now this was made by the SFX team which worked on The Thing prequel. Interestingly they made loads of great models which were then covered up by crap CGI so I think this is them trying to show off what could have been.

Its garbage. If you are gonna rip off a 40 year old SFX heavy film then you should really aim to beat the head-spider thing. Which they don't. Awful acting as well except for good old Lance Henriksen.

Disappointing.

Train to Busan was fucking great though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?