Main Menu

Prog 1974 - When Nerds Collide

Started by McNulty, 29 March, 2016, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 30 March, 2016, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 30 March, 2016, 11:07:38 PM
Dredd was good -I have to say I have never found a shootout much of a cliffhanger as we know it's all going to be fine (pretty much the same cliffhanger as last week as well).[spoiler] Is it Dredd or Rico out in the Cursed Earth? Pretty sure it is Rico, is this a not as yet revealed twist I am not sure[/spoiler]
Pretty sure it's [spoiler]both[/spoiler]

I haven't picked up this weeks Prog yet, but am surprised to hear that this seemingly mundane scenario hasn't yet been made clear.
From re-reading part one I'm convinced that both are present.
Both are addressed by name, and there are two 'Senior Judge' helmets visible in one panel (that I do not have the time / technical know-how to add to this post).

Tiplodocus

I'm actually really enjoying all the Thrills - Tainted is the only one I'm a wee bit unsure of but it has enough in it to keep me entertained.

In terms of both art and script, we also have a really good variety of stuff going on. The only thing missing from the line up is something completely bat-shit bonkers - but I can only take those in short bursts anyway.

One thing that occurred to me - I think it happened recently in Dredd and Aquila (and in countless films and TV shows) is that "delayed answer to a question" thing that writers are so fond of. 

You know the thing:
Kirk: How do you define unwarranted?
<Some huge plot thing happens with lots of action and shiny lights that takes about five minutes>
Dekker: That is how I define unwarranted!

Has anybody EVER done that in real life?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

I'll answer that ten posts later.

IndigoPrime

An enjoyable Prog on the whole, although one tiny detail irked: the Nurse Who book. I get the gender-switching thing, but nurse? Really?

Steve Green

Wouldn't that be more a reflection of of a character created in the 1960s, and the associated bias in career from that era?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 March, 2016, 01:41:36 PM
Wouldn't that be more a reflection of of a character created in the 1960s, and the associated bias in career from that era?
I wouldn't credit it with that much inteligence. :lol:

IndigoPrime

Using the logic of the story, which is a literal gender flip, associated bias from the 1960s would have women as doctors and men as nurses. I suspect this was either the writer or artist's own (possibly unconscious) cultural views filtering through. Or a rubbish 'joke'.

And I still much prefer the new lot. I kind of hope the old team all get eaten by mice.

Steve Green

Fair enough - that's something for the creators to comment on.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 March, 2016, 12:18:40 PM
One thing that occurred to me - I think it happened recently in Dredd and Aquila (and in countless films and TV shows) is that "delayed answer to a question" thing that writers are so fond of.

There's an episode of the Simpsons where Marge is being flirted with by some flash playboy type. 'Come for a ride...'
The scene cuts to them in his private two-seater glider. '...Or should I say glide?'
Marge 'Hmm. I'm just glad you're speaking again. You didn't say anything for 45 minutes!'
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 March, 2016, 02:07:09 PM
Using the logic of the story, which is a literal gender flip, associated bias from the 1960s would have women as doctors and men as nurses. I suspect this was either the writer or artist's own (possibly unconscious) cultural views filtering through. Or a rubbish 'joke'.

Is it not as simple as the fact the joke wouldn't work otherwise? Unless there's an associated picture, how would you know that 'Doctor Who' (male) had now become 'Doctor Who (female)?

It's possible to read far too much into things sometimes.
@jamesfeistdraws

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 March, 2016, 01:29:29 PM
An enjoyable Prog on the whole, although one tiny detail irked: the Nurse Who book. I get the gender-switching thing, but nurse? Really?
[/quote

The Nurse Who thing wasn't one of the visual gags that was in the script.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 March, 2016, 02:07:09 PM

Hmmm, the Nurse Who gag jumped out at me too, but I'd also note that a 'literal gender flip' isn't really what we're seeing here: the house is neat and tidy, there are roses around the door - so despite being of the opposite gender to Our Heroes, and living in a universe where SF film men wear the objectifying slave costumes and need rescuing, certain gender stereotypes (better at housework: like pretty flowers) persist.  Perhaps female dominance of 'the caring profession' is one of these (even if the gag wasn't the authors' intention).

Magnetica

A so-so Prog for me I am afraid.

One thing I did like is the subtle distinctions Macneil made in the way he drew Dredd and Rico.

With Dredd there are whiskers on his chin where as Rico is clean shaven. The helmet damage is different as well (but I may be imagining that as Dredd's helmet damage is also different to last week.).

I'm still not comfortable with Dredd having whiskers though (like in the Gyre). I have been reminded of that in my current re-read of The Pit where Dredd starts off with a lecture on the correct dress for a Judge including commenting disapprovingly on a Judge with stubble. And who can forget, Judge Lopez and the Oracle Spice.

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 30 March, 2016, 12:00:56 PM
Aquila: the violence is a bit much for me.

Well you had better avoid a large chunk of Tharg's back catalogue then  :lol:  e.g. Flesh, Shako, Inferno, Slaine, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, not to mention Dredd and Strontium Dog at times.

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 April, 2016, 08:03:19 PM
A so-so Prog for me I am afraid.

One thing I did like is the subtle distinctions Macneil made in the way he drew Dredd and Rico.

With Dredd there are whiskers on his chin where as Rico is clean shaven. The helmet damage is different as well (but I may be imagining that as Dredd's helmet damage is also different to last week.).

I'm still not comfortable with Dredd having whiskers though (like in the Gyre). I have been reminded of that in my current re-read of The Pit where Dredd starts off with a lecture on the correct dress for a Judge including commenting disapprovingly on a Judge with stubble. And who can forget, Judge Lopez and the Oracle Spice.

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 30 March, 2016, 12:00:56 PM
Aquila: the violence is a bit much for me.

Well you had better avoid a large chunk of Tharg's back catalogue then  :lol:  e.g. Flesh, Shako, Inferno, Slaine, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, not to mention Dredd and Strontium Dog at times.
im more than familiar with the back catalogue but it's not always so pointlessly visceral as in Aquila

TordelBack

Graphic ultra-violence is very much Aquila's thing (like the movie version of 300, or Starz' Spartacus, one might suggest), so I definitely see jannerboy's point.  However (like the latter), I personally love it. Not 100% sure about Davidson's version of the big man, but then I haven't been entirely won over by any of the versions of Aquila himself so far, and I think everyone and everything else here looks great: especially Felix.