Main Menu

Prog 1978 - outer dark

Started by Skullmo, 23 April, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Fungus on 27 April, 2016, 12:12:34 PM
It's humour.

You were obviously having a laugh. I can't quite believe they weren't.

Skullmo

Quote from: Butch on 27 April, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
It's humour.

Ve don't allow humour here on ze forum!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 27 April, 2016, 01:44:54 PM

Yes, of course, because "it's not canon if Wagner doesn't write it" isn't totally a thing on this forum, with a non-trivial swathe of forum members not only prepared to say it, but prepared to defend it when it's suggested that it's a pretty insulting thing to say about the many fine writers contributing to the Dredd canon.

I wanted to check if the remark was meant humorously, Fungus said it was, that's fair enough.

Edit: (Obviously, I didn't think it was funny, or I wouldn't have asked, but there you go...)

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2016, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 27 April, 2016, 01:44:54 PM

Yes, of course, because "it's not canon if Wagner doesn't write it" isn't totally a thing on this forum, with a non-trivial swathe of forum members not only prepared to say it, but prepared to defend it when it's suggested that it's a pretty insulting thing to say about the many fine writers contributing to the Dredd canon.

I wanted to check if the remark was meant humorously, Fungus said it was, that's fair enough.

Edit: (Obviously, I didn't think it was funny, or I wouldn't have asked, but there you go...)

Jim

How dare they express opinions, we need to crack down on this! Send in the tanks!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Albion

Quote from: scrotnig on 24 April, 2016, 11:38:12 AM
Am I missing something obvious? Is there a reason the bar at the top says 'NEW THRLL!', or is it a mistake?

Thrll-suckers obviously.
Another Tharg story is needed to sort them out!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Verence

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 April, 2016, 09:15:00 AM
The Dredd is a bit annoying because I know he's not dead, and so already feel that we are treading water for the big reveal that he is, in fact, alive and the Cursed Earth and Brit-Cit stuff is an over-arching plot by [Sino-Cit/ the Kleggs/ the LawLords/ Max Normal] (delete as appropriate)

East-Meg Two would my guess as they are still holding ex-Chief Judge Sinfield and surely they wouldn't do that if they didn't have a plan that somehow involved him

Spikes

What if Mike Carroll, and John Wagner are both writing the strip, and are having a bit of fun with that set-up..

Mind you, Rebellion wouldn't let Wagner kill Dredd either.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Butch on 27 April, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
It's humour.

It wasn't that obvious. I'm usually quite good at picking up on that stuff and I wasn't sure, (although it wouldn't be the mentallest opinion I've read on the internet today, so my disbelief settings may be slightly lower than usual).

Frank

Quote from: scrotnig on 24 April, 2016, 11:38:12 AM
Is there a reason the bar at the top says 'NEW THRLL!', or is it a mistake?

It's a misguided attempt to alert the AWOL THRYLLseekr that a new Sláine story starts next month.

This week's comic was worth the cover price for the salutes to the Prime Minister and the leader of Her Majesty's opposition. Almost all 2000ad artists seem to be lefties; you'd think there'd be one or two who'd sneak some pro-free market and deregulation graffiti into the background. Maybe Tharg makes them sit an entrance exam.

Day and date display on the face of Westminster clock tower = genius:

TordelBack

So my initial reaction to the Prog is bloody hell can that PJ Holden draw or what. I'm a vocal fan of the way PJ seems to bring something new to his art with each story he draws, but here he has really done something special. The energetic movement of Dead Signal mixed with the light touch of his occasional non-2000AD cartoons on the expressive faces, all against what seems like a new approach to space in his background.  With all respect to MacNeill , Richardson et al I don't think I've ever had such a clear sense of what Joyce Jr actually  looks like. From Joyce's panel rupturing backflip on the first page to Hershey's billowing cloak and the Timex-style Day dial on Big Ben, it's just fantastic stuff.

TordelBack

Dagnabbit, just beaten to it by Butch!

ZenArcade

Hey Fungus I actually thought it was funny. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Speaking as we were of Keef Ripley, does anyone else fancy Brink as a covert Kingdom prequel?  This Cal Hamilton guy has form.

Frank

Quote from: Tordelback on 27 April, 2016, 09:45:36 PM
does anyone else fancy Brink as a covert Kingdom prequel? 

The guy with the sandy hair is Finnie from Sin-Dex. It's early days, but I don't think Brink is my kind of thing. That's fine, because I'm sure it's exactly what most readers want to read, but a tough cop action story seems an odd fit for Culbard's restrained style.

I can see why Tainted triggers Proudhuff's Nam flashbacks to the nineties, but I love the feeling of decay and corruption oozing from Kendall's pages. The bus's immobility is an apt metaphor for the rut the (enjoyable) story seems stuck in - I'd prefer more variation in setting and for the story to move on.

I was going to make the same point TordelBack did about PJ's characterisation of Joyce. A blank slate's acquired a personality just in time for me to care about whether he lives, dies, succeeds, or fails, and I find Mike Carroll's newly discovered facility for brutal violence very entertaining.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Skullmo on 23 April, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

Cover - it's very pink and blue. Nice to see the title completely obscured, they should just remove it if they are going to cover it every week.

Yes, I'm with you on this Skullmo. What's the use of the horrrid 2oooAD banner if it just gets covered up. The space is much better used with the art IMHO

Si