Main Menu

Prog 1981 - The Law Lives

Started by flip-r mk2, 13 May, 2016, 02:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mejustnow

Thanks to Tainted I've been wondering about Deadworld's statue to the last person to receive judgement. Was that in Judge Death Lives?

I was going to ponder on whether that might be Fairfax, but it suddenly occurred to me: I reckon it was the statue maker himself. I can't imagine the Dark Judges knocking up their own statue, but I can imagine them keeping an artist alive and forcing them to build a commemoration of their (and a world's) demise. Then killing him in its shadow after the unveiling (witnessed by the creator and the four remaining Dark Judges). A little like how pyramid architects would be walled into their creations with their pharaohs.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Tordelback on 19 May, 2016, 10:05:46 AM
I really worried that Dreams... might have been impossible to follow, but taking a new tack with the same sickening feel worked perfectly. It makes the most outrageous grand guignol supernatural nonsense plausible.

Hell yes.  Pardon the pun. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: mejustnow on 19 May, 2016, 11:41:25 AM
Thanks to Tainted I've been wondering about Deadworld's statue to the last person to receive judgement. Was that in Judge Death Lives?

I was going to ponder on whether that might be Fairfax, but it suddenly occurred to me: I reckon it was the statue maker himself. I can't imagine the Dark Judges knocking up their own statue, but I can imagine them keeping an artist alive and forcing them to build a commemoration of their (and a world's) demise. Then killing him in its shadow after the unveiling (witnessed by the creator and the four remaining Dark Judges). A little like how pyramid architects would be walled into their creations with their pharaohs.

Don't know if you realised but the statue had an appearance (sort of) in Dreams of Deadworld - this cover was not actually a group shot of all four Dark Judges, as it's actually Fear, Fire and Mortis stood in front of Death's statue!

@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Good observation Jimbo. Tainted has been a triumph for the Prog in 2016. Unmissable week in week out. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Steve Green

I've loved Tainted.

It was pointed out to me by Mr Burdis that [spoiler]The leads could escape using the D-warps, potentially even leading Death to Mega City One.

Although if you believe Sidney the aliens bearing them didn't arrive until long after they killed the last person.

It might be an interesting way to take it, there's enough wiggle room and difference between the Tainted version and the original - at least to give them some hope/aim even if it ends up being snatched away from them[/spoiler]

ZenArcade

Or just let them die at the hands of a group of possessed,  psychopathic ghouls in keeping with the general dynamic of the story concept. I hope the writer remains true to the fact that the Dark Judges extripated all life from their world.
Don't let there be a cop out and ensure that the horror of a pointless, cruel fate for all involved (which haunted a lot of readers youthful imaginations) is adhered to until the last soul on the planet dies needlessly to fulfill  the warped ideology of what are true monsters. No winners nor escapees in this one: please! Z

Steve Green

I didn't say it had to be successful.

ZenArcade

ThryllSeekyr

Because of my suffering internet. I couldn't post my usual commentary here last early this morning.

It was a doozey, at least I thought it was....

So, here's the abridged version.

That opening picture of Slough, Other Son of Feg standing full frontally nude and showing what circumcision taken too far probably is.

Nothing to see or read here aside from some very good & and exciting action visuals. Even I am tiring of the narrative/dialoge here that could be lifted away from the art work. Replaced by something more snappy &  to the point!

He has a very cool sword at least. It's some type of bastard sword. I'd like to own one and both variations of each axe wielded by our hero's...the same. Love those!

That very last image of Feg's Son holding his sword aloft, his long evil Cythy tongue displayed in such away as to remind me of....

By nature of how he's about to strike with sword while open mouth and tongue displayed in very similar manner. (Best picture I could find here!)

By virtue of both their unnaturally distended tongues....

By the way he's holds his sword as he's about to strike with that tongue displayed.

I do hope you all appreciate that I left ou the part where I described what the Primordial/Warped appearance of Gort & Slaine truly reminds me of and that Slaine always has that wide gaping grin that display more of his gullet. Maybe that Simon Davis has taken cues from the description of Cu-Chulainn....

....His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared....

I would have liked to see more variation here. I still prefer the warpings of Glen Fabry.

DrRocka

Five pages in, and no-one's noticed that Zig and Zag (or at least, their descendants), are happily traversing the streets of Brit - Cit? 
Loving the prog right now, and yeah, my fears of the prog/Meg crossovers seems unfounded. The story's great and shaping up well in the prog alone. Sorry for the whinging, Mighty One. How could I have ever doubted you?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Jacqusie

[/quote]

I've stood up this Slaine longer than most and I've enjoyed the first two books of The Brutania Chronciles but really this book after fooling me at the start, is just dull old nonsense. I mean really we have another Slaine about to be behead cliffhanger. Really. Dull.

[/quote]

I'm not sure if we are supposed to be remembering any of the stories from the ABC warriors or Slaine, those cliffhanger endings are supposed to feel fresh and original after all...

I'm always pleased when something happens to stop Slaine getting beheaded, as I worry all week about him, I really do...

Keef Monkey

The stories in Slaine and ABC Warriors completely pass me by nowadays, I have no idea what's going on or when these things are set in the grand scheme of things to be honest. Usually the art sees me through both, and Slaine in particular always looks incredible, but these last few episodes it seems there's really not been much for Davis to work with so it's struggled to hold my interest.

Fungus

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 May, 2016, 03:26:02 PM
The stories in Slaine and ABC Warriors completely pass me by nowadays, I have no idea what's going on or when these things are set in the grand scheme of things to be honest. Usually the art sees me through both, and Slaine in particular always looks incredible, but these last few episodes it seems there's really not been much for Davis to work with so it's struggled to hold my interest.

Me too.
Slaine promises much, but it's not happening at the moment.

Only really enjoyed Brink this week, slim pickings.

Proudhuff

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 May, 2016, 08:35:21 PM
The 'Coming Soon' box has been bothering me all day; I love MacNeil's art but am I the only one who thinks he's an odd choice for Defoe?

I think his art is constantly improving and it started out head and shoulders above the rest of the field at the time!
His recent rendering of silhouettes along with some cracking layouts means that Defoe's in safe hands and IMHO better hands.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 June, 2016, 05:39:41 PM
His recent rendering of silhouettes along with some cracking layouts means that Defoe's in safe hands and IMHO better hands.

Sometimes, an artistic reshuffle works wonders in the prog... I'm particularly thinking of Cam Kennedy's transfer to Dredd from Rogue Trooper, but it's easy to forget that Simon Davis (for example) was probably as well known for Missionary Man before making Sinister/Dexter very much his own.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.