Main Menu

LAWGIVER III (Bristol) - Saturday 28th May 2016

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 18 August, 2015, 06:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Finally home after a wearisome day of replacement bus services, delayed trains and missed connections, but what a great weekend.

Friday night kicked off with a screening of Dredd courtesy of the DSDC followed by many beers in the local Wetherspoons. A hearty hotel breakfast saw off the worst of the hangover, ready for what I like to call my Day of Triumph. Not only did I win two tombola prizes (a casefiles #2 and a copy of Underbelly, which I got Henry Flint to sign), I also won one of Mike Higgins' pieces from the artists' draw-off competition - not his finest work perhaps, but it does feature Chris Evans getting run over by muties in front of a cityscape that looks suspiciously like a giant cock and pair of tits.

These however pale into insignificance besides winning a handsome trophy in the Dredd 15 to 1 quiz, beating both Eamonn and the frankly second-division skills of Pete "loser" Wells. It was actual 7 to 1 as half the contestants who signed up had found an all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch and didn't make it back in time.

There was a great turnout of droids doing sketches and signing (apart from poor old Clint Langley who not only got stuck in motorway traffic, when he finally did reach Bristol  drove around for hours trying and failing to find the right hotel).

Loads of great costumes - I counted about 40 judges of various types in that group photo, and also a  couple of my other favourites:

In addition to the panels there was a cool exhibition of costumes and props from the movie (including a Lawmaster). It was back to the bar on Saturday night for another cracking evening in good company.

Finally, my top convention tips:

1: Never get behind John Burdis in a signing queue. He had to make four trips back to his room to collect another armful of stuff to get signed.
2: When you meet one of your idols,try not to spill your pint over them (sorry Mr Fabry)
3: If your name is Pete Wells, don't try to compete against against clearly superior talent
4: art droids will draw gratuitous willies at any opportunity.

Big thanks to Sue and all at Rule32 for running the event, all the moderators who kept things running smoothly (Hi Iz  :wave:) and all the lovely fans, droids,cosplayers and alcoholics for making it such a fun event. No Lawgiver next year (boooo), but hopefully they'll be back in 2018

Pete Wells

I wuz robbed! My questions were LOADS harder than everyone else's and everyone kept picking on me 'cos I was the best. Mummy, tell the bad men!

However, here is a picture of that shithouse winner and his two sporting rivals:

ZenArcade

'Vae Victus': It is no triumph unless your enemy is abjectly thrown to their knees. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 May, 2016, 10:29:27 PM

Worst Inspiral Carpets tribute band ever.

Pete and I appear to be auditioning for Sob Story which was just one of the answers I struggled with. Iz pulled me off the bench to make up the numbers. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

BatDan

Best con I've been to in a while. Cracking event. Brilliantly organised. Great guests

Dandontdare

Forgot to mention it was nice to meet Andy Lambert, a man whose talent is only exceeded by his modesty and self-deprecation. His sketchbooks wowed everybody but he had to be bullied into showing them to some of the pros.

COMMANDO FORCES

Awesome convention. So many things to do and so much drinking. Thoroughly enjoyed it and seeing some of the forum there was an added bonus.

Judges, 2000AD characters and creators

Large48

Was a shame to miss this one having made the first two but was in the states at the time!  >:(

Glad its getting better and better and Pete never was any good answering questions when there was food going somewhere else........
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]