Main Menu

Absalom in 2000ad

Started by robert_ellis, 04 November, 2016, 04:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I've been reading 2000ad since Day of Chaos and my favourite strip has been Absalom. I found the trade Ghosts of London which reprints the first 2 stories and a one-off. I think since then there's been a short-ish story and a one-off. Is there a reason we don't see much of this strip? I found Trevallion's art stunning and the writing really strong. Is there much love for this strip?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 04 November, 2016, 04:36:22 PM
I've been reading 2000ad since Day of Chaos and my favourite strip has been Absalom. I found the trade Ghosts of London which reprints the first 2 stories and a one-off.

You're missing Dirty Postcards (Prog 2013), Old Pal's Act (Prog 2014), Under a False Flag (progs 1934 to 1932) and Family Snapshots (prog 1961) - that's everything to date that wasn't in the first trade.

Can't imagine it'll be long until the next one, though!
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Is there much love for this strip?

I think the art is the best the modern prog has to offer, and it's probably Gordon Rennie's finest hour in terms of 2000AD scripts.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Greg M. on 04 November, 2016, 04:49:44 PM
Is there much love for this strip?
I think the art is the best the modern prog has to offer, and it's probably Gordon Rennie's finest hour in terms of 2000AD scripts.
I love it. It's far and away the best new strip in the Prog in the last five years.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Well I'll be the damp(ish) squib. Its a fine and I'm always happy to have it in the Prog but its far from the best of the new batch (off the top of my head Brass Sun, The Order, Blink, Outlier and if they still count Zombo and Grey Area all top it. Art is similar good, not top of the pile for me.

So yeah I like it fine but I don't think I love it as much as many. I do feel I'm in a minority mind.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 November, 2016, 09:03:33 PM
Well I'll be the damp(ish) squib. Its a fine and I'm always happy to have it in the Prog but its far from the best of the new batch (off the top of my head Brass Sun, The Order, Blink, Outlier and if they still count Zombo and Grey Area all top it.

You like Outlier better than Absalom...?  :o
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Yeah I really enjoyed Outlier and like the fact it had a solid beginning, middle and end. Fair to say lets see where Absalom goes and how it ends and I do think its artistically stronger but yeah at the moment I'd do with that.

The joys of 2000ad!

Greg M.

One of the things I like most about Absalom is that it makes a virtue of something I'm usually more ambivalent to in Gordon Rennie's work - the characterisation of the protagonist as a right bastard. Rennie's leads can sometimes be grim, miserable sods - that's not intended as a criticism, he does it well - but I don't always warm to them. On the other hand, Harry Absalom is such a caustic old ball-bag that it becomes extremely funny, and I find myself half-expecting, half-dreading his next outrageous piece of wit.

Hawkmumbler

Absalom, for me at the very least, is right up there with the top of the pops for best modern thrills. Zombo, The Order, Brink, Jaiger, and Deadworld all represent the very best of the modern prog and Absalom sit really nicely in between that lot.

Dr Feeley Good

I much prefer it to any of the thrills mentioned...

GordonR

Make Absalom even better than Outlier?

Wow. Talk about raising the bar on me.  It's a big ask, but I'll try my damnest.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GordonR on 06 November, 2016, 01:37:19 PM
Make Absalom even better than Outlier?

Wow. Talk about raising the bar on me.  It's a big ask, but I'll try my damnest.

Well don't let the challenge get you down. Just try your best and stay smilin'

Frank

Ever wondered what a fight between Jim Parsons and Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons would look like?

robert_ellis

Absalom: Under a False Flag tpb announced on Facebook - I'm glad it's coming! Hopefully more in the prog soon. It's