Main Menu

1320 - Tara.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 05 January, 2005, 10:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Alongside the last two Megs, the Christmas prog, the latest E.E. (I owe someone a copy of that. Can't remember who. Got it in an envelope waiting to post...) there was a single copy of 1420 in my local Thrill-vendors. It'll come in the post soon but what the hey...I fancied reading it now.

Cover - Clint Langley double cover. That says it all. Maybe familiarity really does breed contempt because whilst I can see it's nice it's been done before.

Dredd - Jason Brashill on the art chores for this Wagner scripted aftermath tale. So far it's closely linked into the last tale and it'd be good to see this in a collected edition with 'Brothers in the Blood', 'Total War' and 'Terror'. Brashils art is different but that's no bad thing. And changed from his last style too or, more accuratley, developed.

2nd City Blues - I might grow to like this. This episode the old school feel and the modern character stuff fit together better. Not perfect but could be fun.

Slaine - A good episode, story moves on, it's pretty and there's some nice moments in amongst the battle and plot.

Cabals - Perfect. Really good stuff. As good as you'd expect, as good as you'd want.

Dante - Morrison and Burns. A rop notch team. Dante. One of the best characters/stories 2k has ever produced. I need to refresh myself of what's gone on since the heist story cause it's all a bit blurry but it's still a great story. Having been reading a lot of Dante lately I'd love this to be the start of a new period of plenty Dante.

New design, nice touches. DroidLife raised a smile. Letters, good sign.

Max Kon

Ah, a subbie still got in first. Whay!

paulvonscott

Yeah, only one issue in the local postie, usually they have a few.

Not sure about the Dredd logo, it looks more modern and exciting I suppose - two reasons not to like it then ;)  But I can understand why they've done it.

Enjoyed reading it after a truly diabolical day at work.

Gothmog

WHSmith's computer thought the prog was so good that it was obiviously worth more than the cover price and tried to charge me ?3.95.

Needless to say I came over all American and went postal on it's ass*

*Actually I stayed resolutely English, apologised to the lady serving me for complaining and meekly suggested that maybe I'd been charged too much.

DavidXBrunt

They often don't update their computer, so remember that in December as they might charge ?1.60 for the big prog.

On reflection Dante is super duper. Recommend rereading the last couple of tales if you're waiting for the prog.

Bico

Oops.  I think that EE was for me, Dave - but I forgot it was coming and bought me own copy.
Sorry!

DavidXBrunt

Not to worry. I'll send you the next one and slip this to a colleague.

Lord Running Clam

The cover was nice but i'd like to see some other artists be given a wraparound cover as well.

Dredd.Great to see this is a multi-parter as I'm really injoying it so far.It also looks like it could go down all kinds of interesting paths.I wasn't so keen on the art,didn't quite work for me.

Second City Blues.So far this hasn't grabbed me.

Slaine.This is ticking along at a nice pace and has some great art.

Caballistics,Inc.This had some great moments   with Ravne.The art as always is great.I think the first page set the seen well without giving anything away.The last panel was good as well.

Nikolai Dante.This is a great,both the art and story.

Droid Life  made me laugh.

All in all I think this is really up to the standard set by last year.

Shakara

COVER: Was good. You have no choice but to like it

JD: Jason Brashill FRIGGIN' RULES! I've been waiting AAAAGGESS for a Brashill strip, and here it is, frankly, the story is blinded by that stuff. Okay-- may be cartoony OTT sometimes...but meh

SCB: Sucks

SLAINE: Langley BLAH Langley BLEY...all very good-looking but what the hell? I never remember the Slaine history, it's a bit all over the place

CI: May be FINALLY getting into this, as it's taken awhile. Great stuff about demon 'time of the month'

ND: Love Dante, always have always will, want Fraser back on it (not that I don't like Burns' stuff of course, because it's great)

Droid Life made me scared.

I agree, this has really set the pace for a good year FULL of Shakara

paulvonscott

Old Midgy Tharg is right about Dogbreath 12, which he plugs in the latest nerve centre, there's a very funny photostrip in the current issue.  Definitely worth a go!

Also, it's good to see the design in the comic changing, it's a refreshing tradition to have something new, even if it's not to your taste!  There's something a bit less fussy and a bt more... comicky about the latest design.

And... call me high king of the cynicons of cynicos VII, but does anyone think those lovely wraparound Slaine covers will make excellent graphic novel covers? ;)

Oh and has anyone alerted the Hive-Mind (we are one, one are we) to Earthling Robert Vollund?

Dunk!

Bit of a mixed new year bag.

Cover: Nice, but does it really sell the comic to anyone beyond those who already buy 2000ad? I think the casual shopper would find the cover very odd - no info selling what's inside and you have to get close to see what's going on on it - but then has 2000ad given up enticing in the casual shopper?

Dredd: Good follow on, though I'm not a fan of Brashill's graphitti style art - too cartoony for me.

Second City Blues: Nah!

Slaine: I haven't been following the story but does Slaine get dragged away from fighting his enemies every other episode? Very confusing and not worth the effort. Like the art thought.

Cabalistics Inc: Giving the story a go and it's good, though the art still leaves me cold.

Dante: Yay! A character i care for going on adventures that i can't predict the outcome of. It's like the 80's all over again. :)

Overall: Hmm?
"Trust we"

petesbeats

Still haven't recieved.  Gonna kill my postman.  It better be here tomorrow!!!!

Trout

Max Kon

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.