Main Menu

Dreddcon VI News Thread...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 01 October, 2005, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Just a handy one-stop thread for any news, gossip and previews coming out of Dreddcon VI.

Enjoy the day, everyone!

judge dreddd

at the moment...folk are drinking...and slagging off bad stories....at bars...in oxford... - reuters

Robo-K33F

At the moment I'm just popping some headache tablets and drinking coffee.

[YT-2]

Buddy

At the moment I'm not in Oxford, or even in England for that matter.

I'm in Belfast, in work and pissed off that I'm not at Oxford.

Floyd-the-k

Over here in scenic Fairfield, Dreddcon VI has led to me reading this thread

yours irrelevantly

Link: http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Page/PagePrint.asp?Page_Id=268#BM782" target="_blank">what you're missing

http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Page/Images/Fido_Public_Art.jpg">

Matt Timson

I'm back home already.  To be honest, I went with the idea that Shedcon was the main event, with the Dreddcon venue being a comfy place to kill time for the designated driver (Thinky) to get it together.  That said, Brendan McCarthy gave an excellent interview to Gavin Hanley (who looked as though he might actually have bowed as he introduced him) and I was glad I got to see it.

I bought a few bits and bobs, met a few more boarders, was socially inept on at least three separate occasions and felt fleeced by the Eurobar- but generally had a good time.  Part of me wishes we'd stayed a bit longer because it was a really nice atmosphere and I didn't get to talk to a lot of people that I wanted to- so maybe I'll stay over on Saturday night as well next year.

Apologies to anybody I was rude to- especially anyone who is thinking of moving to Glasgow.

;)
Pffft...

paulvonscott

Mangamax

VERY relaxed affair - kinda like Dreddcon 2 - with figures down quite a bit.
Not a prob though as the queues for sketches were pretty small, there was no bustling over the artwork and the pound a pint lasted a bit longer.
Great talk by Bryan Talbot, with some real "doh, why didn't spot that" points. Best being that Rupert appears in every panel in his annuals. Top bloke.
Ta to the Droids for the sketches and the natters. Just a shame there was no group photo this time.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Mangamax

Couple more things:
Was Bisley actually ever there?
Kind of gutted not to get a sketch from Glenn Fabry but he upped and went to his panel just before me and Bolt got to him.
Saw him again later at the bar but he was a bit, ahem, "wobbly" by then so didn't bother asking.
Also chuffed to finally get one of these - and for only 20 quid!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Mangamax/PA021367.jpg">
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah, i failed to get a sketch from fabry the time i met him, instead of a queue he had a pile of sketch books in front of him a mile high,
me ? part from my sketch book ?  eh ow.  had a nice chat & watched him work, but he was a bit intimidating, & later, was on the drams with Bisley, which was a seriously scary combo...and yet, comic artist heros heaven .

Bolt-01

I was at the bar after the portfolio session, next to Mr Fabry. He tapped me on the shoulder and asked me for my sketch book, then he drew the saint of Killers for me (which was a delight to watch) Shame you never got a pic MangaMax.

Bolt-01

DavidXBrunt

I got a sketch from Glenn. I have the unfortunate habit of asking for "Anything really. Something from 2k. Whatever you want to draw" which usually gets the response of "...er, not, it's easier if you give me a clue how to fill the page" which is what happened with Glenn. So I said "Slaine, perhaps?" and got the reply "Ah, I've done 900 Slaines already today. Can I draw...a duck. Can I draw a duck...wearing Judge Dredds helmet?" I said yes and the sketch got more and more elaborate. It was just the ducks head but then he wanted to add the shoulder pads so he could draw a little duck on his shoulder, then he wanted to draw the duckmaster. then big MacMahon style boots but for webbed feet. It's brilliant.

Colin MacNeil told us what he's drawing next but I'll leave that for Pete Nagle to unveil, cause he got a sketch of it. My expressed fondness of Devlin and my later suggestion that Alan Barnes could perch on my knee whilst I flick through the Devlin artwork that Colin was selling at a ridiulous price may have given Colin the wrong impression of me.

Speaking of MacNeil artwork I was afreaid to ask how much he charged per page as I knew I couldn't afford it. Better not to be tempted. It was lovely though. Luscious colours, great composition, lovely characterwork, sumptuous atmosphere. In the bar afterward Dan Kelly showed me the pages he's bought and I asked how much they'd been. Apparantly I did a Terry Jones style double take and if I'd had a drink would have spluttered it out everwhere. I was expecting three figure minimun. ?30 a page! I was gutted to have missed my chance. And then Dan spotted Colin about to leave, portfolio in hand...I'm a happy man now.

Next months Meg sees the return of one of the following villains - The Sovs, The Kleggs, The Dark Judges, The Judda, Chopper, Stan Lee, Mean Machine, The Angel Gang, Satanus, or the Don Uggie Apelino mob. All of whom feature on a great Dylan Teague cover which you can buy from him as a signed print, it's really, really good. New Meg cover logo next month, too.

Bryan Talbot's Alice In Sunderland has about 5 months work left on it, it should be out next month. ?300 pages worth. There's also a new edition of Luther Arkwright coming with super funky cleaned up artwork.

Max Kon

I won a page of Jock art. Made the madest pitch of the day (Mr Irving filmed it on his phone, and the guy filming all the panels filmed me to.)
Went to the pub and chatted for ages to WR Logan, and then to Boo. Bryan Talbort asked if i was going to be at Brighton and was going to be looking forward to seeing me there if I was. I then went to a night club with all the young creative types and got bought two vodka shots by Jock, and watched the creatinve types dance. I tried to film the arm wrestles, but it was all black on my camera :(

So yeah, a great night! :D

DavidXBrunt

Next year I mean. Obviously Bryan can't do 5 months work in one. Though he is a godlike genius.

Artificial Idiot

Holy frag on a stick! That's the cover for the next meg!?

Wow, I fell in love with that print as soon as I saw it but didn't realise it was the cover.