Main Menu

Meg 238 - Bastards... and a tooth crossover

Started by Bad Andy, 17 October, 2005, 05:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio De Fideldo

SPOILER

I've a slight continuity niggle with Stan Lee's appearance in this month's Meg. He claims to have been imprisoned for 15 years and Giant says he saw him fighting Dredd in 2112. Deathfist returned in 2122 to fight Dredd one last time. Meg Vol 3 62 Feb 2000. Just a little oversight.

Rex Banner

I find the cover decision a bit odd.

Isn't this aimed as a kicking off point for new readers yet has a cover that is aimed at exciting older readers?

Plus kinda annoying that the return isn't actually in the Dredd strip.

Steve Green

Is it though? I can't remember clearly, but didn't he fight Dredd when he was in the cubes, as an exhibition match? So he was still in jail at the time.

- Steve

Rio De Fideldo

Surely Giant would have seen the 2122 fight and as the more recent fight this would be the one that stuck more in his mind.

Thursday

I don't think anyone saw the later Dredd/Deathfist fight; there was something about Dredd taking the security cameras offline, and nobody else was there in person.

Rio De Fideldo

Just read the story again and you're right no one saw the fight. My memory is acting me up.

sixmo

Yeah, but I think loads would have seen the one where Lee got captured the first time, but Giant wouldn't have been around for it, I think... (Lee tries to escape, falls off roof, Dredd beats living daylights out of him, sometime around late eighties early nineties I reckon)

Banners

First Meg I've bought since the Golden Days - guess that crossover thing worked on me at least(!) But... having survived the booby-trap bomb, is Giant now dead???

M@

Tu-plang

Banners

What were the Golden Days?

I dunno specifically - generally before it got a bit crappy and people like me ditched it?

M@

sixmo

*Clearly* Giant was killed in that story. Wasn't surprised to see him hale and hearty at the end of the Meg though. And won't be surprised to never see a mention of this episode of death ever again...

Matt Timson

Cross overs generally piss me off.  It was not being able to read Necropolis (or possibly Judgement Day- my memory's acting up today- the one with Sabbat and Johnny Alpha in it) without buying the Meg as well that led me to ditch both.
Pffft...

IndigoPrime

While I'd prefer to see judges die in the line of duty, rather than get a big "farewell" speech, there seemed to be little reason to kill of Giant in that story. If that really is the end of the character, that'll piss me off somewhat. And, yeah, it was a bit odd to see Giant wandering around in the last story in that issue. Surely the flat-plan order could have been amended to make it a bit more logical? Oh well.

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Very nice indeed, I hope it does indeed reel in new readers.

Dreddlines: Usual stuff, although I'm glad my letter about Meg 236 wasn't printed. ('Twas all a bit fawny & gay, y'see).

Dredd: Excellent stuff, the Scum Dogs were instantly contmeptable villains, & this first episode was the best set-up that could of been written. I just hope that it doesn't all end in Dredd killing all the Scum Dogs on his own, as they seem to hard to be beaten like that.

Shimura: The script was nowt special, usual level of competency from Morrison, although I'm not sure this snake lady is any good though. However, Colin's art is a joy to behold, the first page being incredibly atmospheric, with similar levels of tension being kept throughout. Only very slight criticism is that Deathfist looks a tad like "generic MacNeil muscleguy".

Anderson, Psi: After the whole Half-Life saga, this doesn't feel like a radical departure, but this is still great stuff. It's good to see the Sisters back, and their return didn't just seem like a gimmicky return. The sideplot with this new disease looks interesting, and the final panal was genuinely surprising.

Simping Detective: If it wasn't for Cabals, this would be the best non-Dredd strip around. Everything is just so well-executed, despite the fact that there are so many disparate plot strands. Cliq turning bad should of seemed lame, but Irving creates a classic horror image, and the SJS lady is another genius creation.

Charley's War: The fact that the Foreign Legion guy is speaking about the past is kind of a tension killer, but that's only a minor complaint. The bayonets sticking up from the ground was particularly evocative.

Heatseekers: The best set of articles yet, especially the one by Jonmathan Morris.

The Prisoner: Fascinating stuff, well researched. These articles on classic TV/whatever are great because they aren't just predictable fanboy praisefests.

Meg history: Again, really fascinating, some people don't like Bishop's style, but this is a much better use of his talents than Dredd Files.

Overall: I haven't got the prog, so I haven't read bonus Dredd yet, but this type of issue reminds me why the Meg is my favourite magazine.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Enigmatic Dr X

For what it's worth.

I detest Charlie's War with a passion and haven't read it for months now. I'd rather have Dredd reprints, despite having a complete collection of the prog and Meg. At least that way I'd be spared the effort of looking through back progs to read something, rather than the hassle of turning the pages of the ho-hum has-been that is Chaz's War.
Lock up your spoons!