Main Menu

ARTDROIDS.CO.UK WEBSITE IS GO!

Started by +rufus+, 11 May, 2006, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opaque

None of your artwork there Rufus?

I'll not be buying anything though as it's all exceptionally expensive. But then those artists tend to be!

Bart Oliver

Nice- crisp, uncomplicated.

What happened to the Flash animations?

I've been checking in every other month since you mentioned the site at Bristol last year- good to see it up and fully operational.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Buddy

Rufus, that is the frickin dogs bollox.

Delighted to see this up and running and it looks soooo sweeet!!

Needless to say I want some, so expect email in the near future.

Worth the wait and the very best of luck with it.

Hope to see you soon.

J.

Keef Monkey

The site looks amazing and as soon as something amazing happens to cure all my financial woes then I'll be snapping up some. All the best with it!

Buddy

Bah. Where's these ?40 Dredd's I keep hearing about???

PJ, that's your pages that is.

+rufus+

Thanks for All the Feedback!
   True, good art isn't cheap. (although sometimes, happily, you do/can find it cheap!)
        I'm happy to be making money back for these hard working artists, many of whom toil for less than grand wages.
        It frankly depresses me when I see good artists selling their art to cheaply, they can only sell it once.
               Comic Artists get no sick pay, bank holidays,redundancy, pensions, etc. and their artwork ( and other jobs they have to do to scratch a living!), so they must look at their body of work as their asset.
       So apologies if some pieces are out of some collectors price ranges, but that's the beauty of collecting, you work your way up! Nobody starts their art collection with rembrandts and Picassos!
See you all in Bristol I hope!
:-) Rufus

DavidXBrunt

Peej. would you be interested in a trade? I have some original art that I'd be interested in swapping for a page of your own...

Keef Monkey

Nothing to apologise about, I hope it didn't come across that I didn't think they were worth the asking prices because they definately are. It's something I've always wanted to buy for our place and the fact that it is a little out of my price range means when I finally get something it shall be treasured. In the meantime I'm getting a lot of enjoyment just from looking at the stuff!

Rosso

The Esquerra stuff is particularly nice. The executioner is my all time favourite Esquerra Dredd. Very tempting, but I'll probably leave it. the idea of commissioning something is nice. I wonder how much Carlos would charge to do the cover to my fanzine?

Keef Monkey

With money no object I'd love to score me an Ezquerra Dredd piece, and I can envision the Garry Leach Anderson(from the meg cover) above my mantle. Beautiful.

scutfink

See, I don't get it(collecting original comic art that is)...

Covers and posters yeah maybe (If I had the cash.), they're single dynamic images. but individual pages?

Apart from the odd exeption, like the Ezquerra double page spread mentioned above, they're rarely complete scenes, and when they're unlettered they just tend to look (to me) like a random collection of images.

How do you display them? Do you wait until you have every page of a given story and hang them all on your wall in sequence?

Now if each page was broken up into separate panels I could understand it...

Not that I'm suggesting anyone take the scissors to their pages, but if each page had been produced as a series of individual images...

The artists would have more pieces, which they could thus sell at a lower price, everyone's a winner, no?

Wake

Carl Critchlow draws each panel on a separate piece of paper. I should eventually have some on my site, mostly priced at ?10-?15 per panel.

The recent books of Durham Red by Mark Harrison were also done mostly as colourwash on small pieces of paper for the figures, etc. with the backgrounds and pages constructed on the computer, so again there is the possibility of buying less than a page worth of art. Empty Suns may be full pages of colourwash art though. Again I'm hoping to eventually have some on my site.

Cheers,

Wake

Link: http://www.2000ad.org/markus/" target="_blank">Mark Harrison Portfolio

http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/markh/A4red.jpg">

+rufus+

Part of the thrill of individual pages is seeing master story tellers picturially doing their thing!
 Composition, renderingof figures, corrections, chnges, pencil work and layouts.... you see it all on the original.
 It's a slice of their work, and working method.
  Nothing heartens me more than knowing that even Pros make mistakes or change their minds.
 It's like having a private show from your favourite Band.
;-) Rufus

Wake

I like the way original artwork reveals the story of it's construction too.

Here's an example of an abandoned Kevin Walker page from Childhood's End where it looks like he penciled the whole page, inked the first three panels, and then painted the first panel before deciding (for whatever reason) that he didn't like it and wanted to start again.

Cheers,

Wakehttp://www.2000ad.org/artwork/childhood4_6.jpg">

ming

Lovely stuff there, Rufus.  Time to start saving up my pocket money...