Main Menu

COMIC SHOWCASE Closing down..

Started by +rufus+, 11 June, 2006, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

+rufus+

I'm sure London based Boarders may already know, but just in case I thought i'd mention it...

COMIC SHOWCASE on Charing Cross Road is closing down next Saturday, 17 June.
 Paul Hudson has run Showcase since 1980 (no mean feat for a small business), and to lose one of our Flagship Comic Emporiums is a real blow.
 Unfortunately the Council doubled the rent, and relocation is to expensive.
    Myself and various other long time Showcase browsers will be there in the afternoon of the 17th to have a little wake for the shop, and generally wish Paul luck.
 Drop in, say bye to Paul, truly a friend of Galaxy's Greatest..
 and a few beverages may be consumed...
 :-) Rufus

nofuture

I'll be wearing my black armband.  The 10am thursday morning kid

Art

It's a great shame. I used to go there a lot, and even now I've left London I've popped in each time I've returned.

Of course if you just want to buy toys there's a lovely new shiny Forbidden Planet just down the road...

SamuelAWilkinson

Wash your mouth out with soap, Art.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Wils

It's a real shame it's going. I always went there when I visited London (although I did prefer it before it moved to Charing Cross Road). There can't be many *proper* comic shops left at all now, can there? Sad news.

Art

Of course it;s all the fault of Thatcher, the nanny-statists and speed cameras, all of whom are combining to reduce the UK to a pile of smoking rubble.

Quirkafleeg

I thought Thatcher was the last great leader (possibly greater than Churchil) we had?

robbycox

Sad news indeed, if i'm thinking of the right place didn't it used to have a basement downstairs chock full of Classic 2000AD artwork. If i am remembering the right place (?) it's where i got my first pages of said artwork from way back in the day!
Great shop to look around and get stuff from.
Rob.

Buddy

Always a place I visited in my infrequent visits to London.

Rob, that sounds about right.

+rufus+

That's the one.
 There's still GOSH and Comicana, but Showcase was a really great meeting place, and Paul sold art on behalf of the 2000ad greats.
 It was in his shop you could see pages from Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, V for Vendetta and of course... 2000ad.
   Still, it'll probably be a tesco's minimart by the following monday...

+rufus+

For The Showcase Memorial Book Tim Pilcher is putting together.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/mc1juve/comic_showcase_small.jpg">

W. R. Logan

Art

Hang on, how;d he get into the back progs section? It's been closed off for years...

Dunk!

Always my shop of choice when i lived in London and now when i just visit.

A damn shame.

Tulkas.
"Trust we"

jock