Main Menu

TOM FRAME - OUR DROID

Started by +rufus+, 14 July, 2006, 10:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Shame.  Nothing much to add really- like most people here, I suppose, I used to think that he lettered *everything* in 2000ad at one time.
Pffft...

Wils

This is unbelievably sad news. From my memories of him at Dreddcon, he seemed a lovely chap, who took being mercilessly ambushed by Trouty et al really  well.

Professionally, and being completely honest, Tom's is the only lettering I've ever been able to instantly recognise. He really was a true master of his art and he will be sorely missed.

My most heartfelt condolencies to all his family.

DavidXBrunt

I'm saddened to hear that. Condolances to his family.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Art

A great shame. Condolences to his family.

Lettering is one of those things that it's easy to ignore or assume "just happens", but bad lettering can really trash a comics page. Tom Frame did a great job in never letting that happen.

IndigoPrime

What sad news. Lettering is such an important and unappreciated element of any comic books, and it can make or break a story for me. For example, some of the Ultimates stuff has appalling lettering, which massively distracts. Tom's, on the other hand, was some of the best I've ever seen, and he will be missed.

At the very least, it would be good to have a very prominent block in an upcoming Dredd named "Tom Frame block"?it's the least 2000 AD can do, really.

Rex Banner

Bico

Sorry to hear that, and it's sad that I can't expand on it more than others have already.  My condelences to his family.

paulvonscott

Very sad to hear the news, just as I was very sad not to have met him at Dreddcon 3.  I've always been a big fan of his lettering and he sounded like a great chap.

W. R. Logan

Had the pleasure of meeting Tom at a 2000 AD christmas party and on a couple of other occasions and he always seemed happy to talk about what he did.

Before meeting him this is how I thought of him and probably always willhttp://www.2000adonline.com/covers/scans/mediumres/291.jpg">

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Endjinn

This is a sad day for 2000AD, and comics in general. Condolences to his family.

philt

Never met him so that Star Pin Up was how I imagined him as well.

My sincere condolences to the family  

RIP Tom

ukdane

Condolences to Tom's family and friends.

His name will be missed in the credit boxes, even if the technology took away some of the art of his artform.

Sad news indeed.
Cheers

-Daney

Art

I wonder if he'll live on in technological form... a font based on his hand-lettering exists.