Main Menu

Comics Britannia

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 06 September, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Oh God, Pete - did you compile the questions?

petemaskreplica

Nuffink to do with me, Dud.
I'd forgotten about the Reichenbach thing, ages since I read it. That makes you King Pedant, I guess ;)

Adrian Bamforth

What do we think of Alan's comments in that clips about anarchy? Although he describes it as a 'romance', he does seem to suggest we should dispose of all leadership and government aside from a basic administration. Does he really find it conceivable that mankind could ever do this without things turning sour immediately, the most greedy and insane rising to the top? Surely the point of (elected) government that everyone does have a say in our destiny without some bastard deciding it's their destiny to screw you over and kill your family? Of course we wouldn't like Alan as much if he wasn't slightly mad and provocative...

Funt Solo

::"Surely the point of (elected) government that everyone does have a say in our destiny"

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, wait - were you being serious?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Moore does seem to be saying that the problem with the world is caused by Leaders, and what we need are more 6 billion more Leaders!

Leigh S

I do think the problem is that if you have everyone being their own leader, you'll find most people would rather someone else did the job.  Groups of people with similar outlooks and beliefs would inevitably form so as to have the power to actually do something.  Its OK me being my leader, but me by myself cant provide running water and electricity and food for my family - my Leadership would be a pretty ineffective one! I'd have to join up with others, and they would have their own agendas, and at best youd get a form of democracy and at worst you'd get civil war!

Isnt "market forces" the nearest you can get to Anarchy that could provide for my needs, and I dont think Moore would be advocating that as a way to go!

Adrian Bamforth

That's what I was thinking - "Everyone should be masters of their own destiny" sounds a bit close to "There's no such thing as society"

Tweak72

"But apparently the "correct" answer is Sherlock Holmes. So they're just wrong.

Disappointing, really."

So, in M(oriarty)'s flash back he is thrown off a water fall by not water fall by another Sherlock Holmes?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Dudley

Hi James,

Thank you for emailing us. While Sherlock Holmes does not actively take
part in the story, he does appear in a wonderful flashback sequence set
at Reichenbach in issue 5.

So we have changed the quiz entry to read...

Which of the following characters from Victorian fiction isn't a member
of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Thank you very much for writing in and helping us to refine our
questions. We hope you enjoy the Comics Britannia season.

Best wishes,

The BBC Four web team

Funt Solo

I wonder if Holmes was a member of one of the earlier incarnations of the League?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

To be nothing less than overwhelmingly pedantic, Moore's Invisible Man is one "Hawley" Griffin (first name invented by Moore, named after Dr. Crippen), while Wells' man is just Griffin, and the original movie version is "Jack" Griffin.  I've no problem with LXG's use of "an" invisible man, IIRC the epilogue of the novel has Griffin's notebooks in the possession of a pub landlord, which is known to Dr. Kemp (the 'hero'), so reproducing the experiment shouldn't be a problem.

Also, Griffin introduces himself in the book thus:  â??â??Iâ??m an Invisible Man.â?

Peter Wolf

The problem with "elected government" is their total lack of accountability to the people once elected.

This is the root of the problem with "democracy" in the UK.

Anyone else who is employed or an employer is accountable to someone or other.Governments think they are above this and forget they are servants of the people that have elected them.Give them an inch and they will always always take a mile.

Blair / Iraq is a perfect example of this.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Aha, an opportunity for me to yet-again recommend my Favourite SF Novel:  Le Guin's The Dispossessed.  Read it ad marvel at how a human society can plausibly be an anarchy and still function just fine, and then be amazed at how life there can still be shit.  There just isn't a better exploration of the subject of anarchy, and I won't even qualify that that with an IMHO.  

Wils

Congratulations [insert name]Dudley[/insert name].

You have earnt yourself the coveted...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/hamaliel/mongohat2.jpg">

;)

TordelBack

Whaaa?  Dudley was Scrotjo all along?!? In that hat he's a dead ringer for him.  It's the Dead Man all over again...