Main Menu

Marvel comics

Started by ukdane, 15 January, 2008, 02:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggonlegs

astonishing xmen is ******* great, ultimate avengers and xmen is good spandex stuff

ukdane

I've just read the first 3 Astonishing X-Men trades back-to-back, and they are very good. I like Cassady's art.

(As a fan of Vertigo comics, I feel a bit frustrated recently that so many of their books have "special" artwork- I like a bit of mainstream!)

I've added The Twelve, Amazing Spider-man (from the begining of Brand New Day), and I'll be adding Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage when Warren Ellis takes over (I think- unless I decide to wait for the trades).
Cheers

-Daney

satchmo

Bizarrely, there was a feature about One More Day on Channel Four News last night. It was pretty good too.

My favourite Marvel comics of the last few years were Planet Hulk and Peter David's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Radbacker

Claremont is now shit yjopugh isn't he, haven't read a good Xbook by him for years his last run on Uncanny or what ever it was very nearly drove me away from it, impenatrable crap of the huighest order.

CU Radbacker

coastguardjackuk

Personally I would avoid the monthlies and stick to the graphic novels. Get the whole story in one.Personally I think you can't go wrong with the Fantastic Four or the Hulk. Strongly recommend the Planet Hulk story, mindblowing. Oh, and if you aren't already (which of course you should be) join your local library. Most libraries have a great selection of graphic novels, especially the larger,city libraries.Immerse yourself in the Marvel Universe and won't cost you a penny! (Except for the fines of course!) Enjoy friend! Postcard Jack...
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Hoagy

When I was a kid, I used to like Iron Man. I tried to draw him. Him, Spidey and the Thing. Johnny Storm was a favorite and of course, the Hulk.

I never followed my Iron Man path though and if there are any stand out series between '79 and now I would like to hear about them from a 2000ad collective, perspective.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ukdane

Most libraries have a great selection of graphic novels

Not in bloody Denmark they don't!

;-)
Cheers

-Daney

House of Usher

When I was a kid at the same time as krombasher, it was The Avengers I liked best, followed by The Fantastic Four and The Champions (encountered only as a back up in some Americanisized, black-and-white Fantastic Four reprint). When I was a teenager, it was The Defenders (several years defunct even by then) that caught my imagination.

What they all had in common was the soap opera element of a bunch of characters living together in a clubhouse, plus the fight scenes that had to account for the whereabouts of up to 10 characters at a time. That's good value!

And then there's the... er... dressing up. I suppose I kind've dug that side of superhero team comics too. Mmmmm, costumes! Colours! (boots!)
STRIKE !!!

Hoagy

Well okay Ush, that was a bit vague at the end.(My post and yours,yer fool:])

More specifically, I wanted to follow up the old Iron Man story's and whether anyone on the board knew of the Iron Man loner missions.

I'm afraid I was one of those who took it personally about Iron Man taking a a bit part role in a spandex gang, really.

Of course he isn't, I was misguided and maybe that is all there is to know.

BUT.... if there is any fortnightlies  or monthlies that tell the tale of Iron Man solo and indeed leading into his decision to join a group, for a casual reader's consideration... I should look it up on the net, shouldn't I?

Right.Will do. Later.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

AlexF

I haven't read a huge amount of Iron Man but if you liked his solo adventures then I'm pretty sure the old series had that in spades. I think the only things you can buy in trade format from after 1979 are the 'demon in a bottle' saga (which is pretty good early 80s stuff - or is it late 70s?) and then nothing until Armor Wars, which is ok but not spectacular. In between I've read a few issues by Denny O'Neill in which Tony Stark falls off the wagon again and loses his company. Kind of ponderous but I enjoyed what I've read of it, and again hardly any tie-ins with the Avengers. I've heard that after 'Armor Wars' the solo book is basically rubbish (especially when he's drawn by Kev Hopgood, which is a shame as I like his style), but the 2000s reboot by Kurt Busiek and later Joe Quesada (as writer, would you believe) is meant to be pretty good. I read the end of that run - from about issue 60 I think - where Iron Man becomes the US secretary of Defence. It's a logical and interesting idea, and it tied in nicely with the real-world build up to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.

You might also get a kick out of Warren Ellis + Adi Granov on 'Iron Man: Extremis' and Joe Casey + Frazer Irving on 'Iron Man: the Inevitable' which came out a couple of years ago. Both are self-contained stories that should be easy to find in trade paperback, and have very little tie in with Avengers, Civil War or any a' that.

abc warrior

Try the Iron Man:Hypervelocity limited series by Adam Warren.

Mind blowing stuff !

Here's a link :

Link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9086" target="_blank">Hypervelocity

JOE SOAP

and what's mind blowing about it?

As to Marvel comics, considering that they make something like the dissolving of Spider Man's marriage a major event -and handle it in a ludicrous, dull way and typically melodramatic, have they never heard of a simple divorce? I think they're priorities are fucked, self important and self serving.

Can they not just get on with telling good stories.

abc warrior

Tweak72

For example, I really want to read the Marvel Civil War, but there was no way in hell I was gonna buy every single comic involved in it.

I can give you a really good reason why you don't want to read Marvel Civil War.

Mark Miller wrote it. and yet again he shoots the pooch at the end.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tweak72

Or let me put it another way...

Link: http://www.notesofadefeatist.com/2007/02/23/whos-side-are-you-on-marvels-civil-war-in-30-seconds/" target="_blank">A boiled down version of the events in Civil War.

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++