Main Menu

2000 AD Online - General Feature Requests

Started by w3bz, 09 July, 2008, 11:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

You can download 1600 free from DriveThru, so there is a precedent - perhaps offer something like 1650 (the big "jump on" issue from the middle of last year) as CBZ, PDF or viewable online. However, it would undermine Clickwheel's sales and there may be contractual issues (although they also have 1600 so...) but in the long run you'd think it can only help sales.

There were also some free stories at Barney (which no longer needs people to be logged in to view):

www.2000ad.org/index.php?zone=thrill&page=thrillindex

The odd free prog can't do any harm and it'd give people a feel for how it works as a complete issue. The wiki might be a good venue to do this...
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

And the BBC have a few free stories too:

www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/2000adstrips/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Dandontdare

That's bizarre - why are the BBC hosting 2000ad strips? Not complaining, though! There's loads of good stuff on that 'cult' section. Just tried the medium difficulty comics quiz and  got 9 out of 10 - though I dispute the answers - Johnny Alpha wasn't born in Milton Keynes, was he?

SuperSurfer

Yes, I have downloaded the free issue 1600 from DriveThru. I have it somewhere but I don't think that is the sort of download a casual visitor to 2000adonline.com would wait for. It seems as if that is print ready artwork. Massive PDF file and just not user friendly with all the layered elements taking time to load. 

Yes, I've seen the stuff on BBC cult comics.

And the free 2000AD origins issue on Clickwheel but I just don't like the quality of the dodgy black and white scans as I mentioned elsewhere recently.

I think the current preview images and text regarding current issues on the website go some way towards what I am suggesting but I think the website could go a bit further in promoting the quality of 2000AD (and the Meg).

Emperor

I think the wiki is designed to pick up the slack there as it is somewhere that more story details can be added. It just needs more involvement to help flesh it out (perhaps in the ongoing progs and then working back and filling others in). They can also hold links to reviews and other recourse, like free comics (it may be we can even have a category like "free stuff" for where there are links to the story in question online for free - it'd help people dig out resources a lot more easily). Of course, the irony is that the 2000AD site no longer appears to have any free comics for people to view. The wiki could do that too - you could create a template where you could have each page of a prog or story online and navigate between them

On the promotion front would it be worth using the wiki to have a kind of 2000AD 101 and or FAQ that eases the new reader in? Perhaps explaining what it is (yes it does need doing) and what are the older classics and the new up and coming stories as well as where you can but 2000AD and in what forms (issues/trades and paper/electronic). That kind of thing.

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 February, 2010, 11:55:48 PMAnd the free 2000AD origins issue on Clickwheel but I just don't like the quality of the dodgy black and white scans as I mentioned elsewhere recently.

Ah yes good call:

www.clickwheel.net/features/285

If anyone is off discussing 2000AD on other sites it'd be an idea to throw those links in as it'd give people a chance to read quite a good selection of stories.

Emperor

Could we see the return of being able to enter competitions online?

I'm pretty sure that is why I first registered an account.

Tiplodocus

Seconded - I did quite well out of theonline competitions (won twice) but can't seem to pick up a postcard and send it in.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

When I access the website via my (supposedly) smart phone (an LG In Touch Max), it goes immediately to the WAP version and hence I can't see any pictures.

This means that the UNDERWARE thread is sliding down my list of most viewed topics (as there's little point reading a thread that consists of "Cor Blimey, look at the size of those" "Not my type" and "You are all pervs, here is a picture of a naked man".

So can I get to see the normal site (or a mobile version of it) that isn't WAP. (ie. like FACEBOOK TOUCH)?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Kev Levell

Is there any way a "share" feature could be added to threads and possibly even specific posts?

Something like the "hallmarks" you get at the end of some blog postings: M(e-mail) B(blog) t(twitter) f(facebook) etc.

I very often want a reduced version of the url's to use on twitter and I'm sure this feature would help ease the act of promoting things like the recent Dredd movie still...

w3bz

Quote from: KevLev on 01 December, 2010, 11:25:23 AM
Is there any way a "share" feature could be added to threads and possibly even specific posts?

Something like the "hallmarks" you get at the end of some blog postings: M(e-mail) B(blog) t(twitter) f(facebook) etc.

I very often want a reduced version of the url's to use on twitter and I'm sure this feature would help ease the act of promoting things like the recent Dredd movie still...

I've been compiling these featuers generally in a mahoosive list. This one's more for when the site gets touched up Q1 next year. I'm not sure sure which way around you want it, in that is it you want to share a post on the forum with Facebook / Twitter users etc? If so, I expect so...

Kev Levell

Yeah, to share from here to twitter mainly... no hurry though - just a suggestion. Thanks!