Main Menu

So is it worth it? Meg 275

Started by Alski, 19 August, 2008, 04:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I'd rather the reprints were bound in with the meg instead of the flimsy booklet thing which demands a plastic wrap etc. and obviously adds to the price.

Satanist

Quote from: "garageman"I'd rather the reprints were bound in with the meg instead of the flimsy booklet thing which demands a plastic wrap etc. and obviously adds to the price.

I like the plastic wrap. It stops other people reading my Meg in the shop and leaving grubby marks on it, you know the type of scoundrel I mean.

Still aint read the Jock collection yet but it is a bit flimsy, a thicker cover would sort that out.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Banners

In one of the articles (don't have it on me so have forgotten which one) the author mentions that the old "Dungeons & Dragons" cartoon was cancelled before the kids made it home.

However, I seem to remember that they eventually did make it back to the fun fair. But, on returning to the real world, they realised how much good they had been doing back in the fantasy realm, so after confronting the banality of their reprieved home lives, they headed straight back to resume the fight.

Or did I imagine that? Worrying about Uni keeps me awake at night you know...

M@

IndigoPrime

I recall an episode where they got a glimpse of home, but had to return for some contrived reason or other.

Satanist

I think they make it home a couple of times but by the end of the series they are still stuck. I have the box set at home as I thought me and the boy could enjoy together. He likes it but watching now I realise its pretty crap.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

wrly_bird

If memory serves, the only episode in which the kids' eventual fate was mentioned was called something like The Girl Who Dreamed Tomorrow, in which the girl in question tells Bobby (the annoying kid barbarian with the earthquake club) that one day he would join her back on earth. Hope this helps.

Hoagy

I thought the the Jock collection was wotrth it just to see the development of the artist. Fascinates me.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Keef Monkey

A really good Meg for me. All the strips were of a high standard, the Jock collection (spine or no spine) was great and is really good to have (and it prompted a friend of mine to pick up a copy after liking Jock's stuff in the Tori Amos thing he got). The articles dragged a lot though, and usually I'm all for them. Its not that I'm not interested in reading about Rufus Dayglo(that was a highlight) but 3 articles all about effectively the same thing (Tank Girl) was overkill I think. Also with it being a bit of a relaunch it might have been better to have new stories, new readers will be totally lost, but obviously that's not a problem for us.

All in all I'm still a happy customer, if anything much happier and looking forward to the collections every month.

Mr Long Face

It was really obvious to me that the bonus 'graphic novel' wasn't going to be of the type being sold in the shops for £10+.  That would surely have been a ridiculous move!  Surely!

What we did get was well worth the money I thought.  If the upcoming installments are half as good as the Jock collection I'll be a happy chap, even though the first four-parter was obviously a 'rush job'.

Hoagy

Quote from: "Krombasher"I thought the the Jock collection was wotrth it just to see the development of the artist. Fascinates me.

That t's riding that r like its no right to be there.

Which it hasn't.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Mr Long Face"even though the first four-parter was obviously a 'rush job'.
Best art in the collection for me.

Hoagy

The cover is good and solid enough. A touch more tougher galvanised paper than a regular prog. No where near the lattice paper of the meg. The nonspine holds up pretty sturdy too. If it were a barn it could have been built by mormons. The pages paper weight feels familiar, so if its a case of modern cover production mixed with something they've worked with before, I like it and its a success for my needs.

You've got be careful not to treat it too much like a reference manual and regard it as more comfortable than an Essential X-Men card-back.

These two two strengths of paper work well together and work well with the experimental staples. There's no price ticket on it. I couldn't get used to it at first. Now it's so much better for it.

The spot colouring leaves a great opening for a Henry Flint Collection, but how long before complications rise out of larger bodies of work?

Heh, I hope this post doesn't lead to a Dredd End.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Devons Daddy

my honest answer

no matter what the cost,  i will never stop reading.
i accept money is not a big concern to me. but i dont smoke or gamble, so for me its my acceptable vice.

i shall be a subscriber until i pass on, and i truly intend to keep a subscription up after,
the reason being in chinese belief if you burn offering to the dead they receive them,
so in all honesty thats what i shall have arranged. :?

hey we all have our quirks,
to me its bloody brillant, change is acceptable,i hope this brings more profitable returns so we may enjoy many years to come.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

TordelBack

QuoteIf it were a barn it could have been built by mormons.

You mean it'd have room for plenty of wives, genealogical records and strange gold tablets, but not be as good as one built by the Amish?

'Tis a fine supplement English.

IndigoPrime

I put up a review of Meg 275 on Revert to Saved, if anyone's interested.