Main Menu

The Complete Ace Trucking Co.

Started by Ace Garp 1969, 25 September, 2008, 04:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I won't be shelling out for this one personally.

I'll tip my hat in awe to Sr Belardinelli - his aliens blew my tiny little preteen mind in the 70s. The artwork in Ace was top quality, but I always hated the story and the godawful piggybacking on the non-existent "craze" of CB slang which some executive obviously thought was sweeping the nation's youth like crack cocaine - cringeworthy! Only the unique character of GBH (Dead) raised it above filler IMHO.

'tis a nice cover tho

Grant Goggans

Boy, am I ever looking forward to this.  Has The Kreeler Conspiracy turned up as well?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Ooh. D'you think that's supposed to be Courier on the "Complete" line ...?
I was wondering that. I guess I won't know until my copy yomps on in.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"I was wondering that. I guess I won't know until my copy yomps on in.

Let us know, willya, IP? I know it's sad, but I feel the need ... if it wasn't, I need to know what font it was supposed to be.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Maybe it's a pun—after all, Ace Trucking is a courier service! (I'm here all week!)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"Maybe it's a pun—after all, Ace Trucking is a courier service! (I'm here all week!)

That is SO bad it borders on genius.

Only vaguely related is my favourite (all right, only) graphic designer's joke:

Two fonts walk into a bar. The landlord says: "Oy! We don't serve your type in here!"

Ayythangyeww ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bad Andy

My copy was sat waiting for me when I finally got back from Barcelona last night, despite the best efforts of those in Swannage.

Feek's my favourite in there.

Oh and I think it's courier on the front. Doesn't look bad like courier normally does though.

IndigoPrime

Ace Trucking just arrived here, along with all of September and October's other books. It's a gorgeous volume, and if you don't buy it, you should be ashamed, unless you absolutely hate Ace Trucking! Elsewhere, Strontium Dog collects up the the Tax Dodge, and the Dredd volume has a strange colour cover and redesigned spine, but the inside is mostly Oz. (And it's all greyscale/b+w for this volume.)

radiator

Weird.
I'd assumed they would have had the redesign on the next Dredd Case File.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "radiator"Weird.
I'd assumed they would have had the redesign on the next Dredd Case File.

Me too, but I think I prefer it this way, actually. A minor redesign every ten volumes will look pretty good on the shelf, neatly defining each era.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

Looking forward to Case Files 11 - I can finally get rid of the last of my dilapidated old Titan editions (Oz).

I notice that the books site has been updated - ABC Warriors: The Shadow Warriors and Sinister Dexter: Eurocrash are confirmed for next year.

IndigoPrime

Yup. The Pit and Kingdom have also switched places in the schedule.

radiator

I get the impression that future specific Dredd collections have been put on the back burner - there's hardly been any this year, and the only one thats forthcoming has just been postponed. I'm guessing this is because everything will eventually end up in the Case Files....

Leigh S

Case Files 11 was in Brum Waterstones (next to Zavvi) this afternoon - no sign of the others elsewhere though.  Shame they didnt change over with the colour Dredds to the 'new' design, but I suppose 10 is a rounder number than 11.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "radiator"I get the impression that future specific Dredd collections have been put on the back burner - there's hardly been any this year, and the only one thats forthcoming has just been postponed. I'm guessing this is because everything will eventually end up in the Case Files....
Or that the Case Files have been selling phenomenally well, and therefore getting that series going is probably a higher priority than out-of-context Dredd collections. Frankly, I'm all for this, and I'd hate to see more Dredd and less variety in the upcoming selection. I'm stoked to see Kingdom, Ro-Busters and the Future Shocks book, for example. The only sad thing is no more Red Seas until April 2009 at the earliest.