Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 April, 2017, 05:26:16 PM
The consistant issues I have are his dialogue. He'd write a great Doctor Who companion cos his constant sassy chat, his quick banter and lively fun filled exchanges become exhausting. He does it with all his main characters and I think its meant to be realistic. Lacking range however it can get really grating and strips his characters of balance. Saga is the biggest victim of this. In Ex-Machina he gets away with it more because of the environment he's portraying it seems a better fit.

All his stroies also seem to stretch creditability almost to breaking point. Its fine, they are fun enough but again its a big weakness.

Well there you go. You took the time to analyze the stories and explain the weaknesses to me. I guess between the hokey dialogue and credibility problem, the only thing I was making out of it was a randomness that left me not caring about what was happening or why I should bother to try to figure it out, if I even had the patience to hang in there long enough to try.

I guess I gave it a little bit longer of a go with Runaways because it was the first of his stuff I'd read, and I thought maybe he was just being a little sly or inscrutable on purpose. That seems not to be the case, so I'm glad I didn't waste more time figuring it out myself.

What my take-away from this is, if someone recommends something to you, you can't just go on faith. You just have to ask the question "So what's it about, then?", and if they don't have a comprehensible or intriguing-sounding answer to that, then you can just pass on it.

radiator

Doing a full reread of 100 Bullets for probably the first time in 10+ years.

Well, it holds up a lot better than Preacher!

Amazing stuff - loving every page of it. So stylish - the writing starts a little rough but gets better and more confident with every arc, and the artwork is just next level incredible. As a body of work it's up there with Akira or Watchmen for me.

Why 100B hasn't already been turned into a premium cable TV series is a mystery to me. It's so cinematic you could almost just film it verbatim and it would work on screen.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 24 April, 2017, 08:27:07 PMWhy 100B hasn't already been turned into a premium cable TV series is a mystery to me. It's so cinematic you could almost just film it verbatim and it would work on screen.

Tom Hardy Tackling Vertigo Comic '100 Bullets' for New Line

positronic

Yeah, 100 Bullets has been optioned for some time. I remember hearing about that a while back. Takes forever for these things to actually happen, and most of them don't after going through development hell and various script treatments.

Great comic.

Smith

Comixology had an Excalibur sale.I wonder why now?Will Excalibur be a movie?Is there a new series launching?

The Adventurer

Sometimes things just go on sale, last week XFactor was on sale. They go in cycles, especially all the X books.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Rately

Quote from: radiator on 24 April, 2017, 08:27:07 PM
Doing a full reread of 100 Bullets for probably the first time in 10+ years.

Well, it holds up a lot better than Preacher!

Amazing stuff - loving every page of it. So stylish - the writing starts a little rough but gets better and more confident with every arc, and the artwork is just next level incredible. As a body of work it's up there with Akira or Watchmen for me.

Why 100B hasn't already been turned into a premium cable TV series is a mystery to me. It's so cinematic you could almost just film it verbatim and it would work on screen.

Agree with absolutely everything you say.

The Risso artwork is just too good, and I think i may just have to go and buy the GNs digitally and get stuck in.

Has anyone read the Lono spin-off? Is it worth a purchase?

Fungus

With you on 100 Bullets though I've not got many issues into it.
Moonshine by the same team is great - for anyone who missed this.

Dandontdare

I enjoyed 1000 bullets more when it was a total mystery - just a stranger turning up with the offer ... as they filled in more and more backstory about the minutemen (??? is that right? - been a long time!) I found it less interesting. This is just from reading trades in random order from the library, I've never done a full read in sequence

Theblazeuk

I bought the first two trades of Harrow County the other day. Money well spent as this book is truly beautiful - inks and paints, composition and character design, all topped off with a healthy dose of eerie-style southern gothic. Be purchasing vol.3 rapidly. Even the wife loves it despite the numerous wonderfully drawn rotting corpses and the skinless boy.

My wife also picked up Jeff Lemire's Royal City, and I introduced her to A.D. Weird, engaging and emotional. And that's just the artwork...

radiator

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 April, 2017, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: radiator on 24 April, 2017, 08:27:07 PMWhy 100B hasn't already been turned into a premium cable TV series is a mystery to me. It's so cinematic you could almost just film it verbatim and it would work on screen.

I remember hearing about the Tom Hardy thing, but that article is from nearly two years ago and not a word since. Also, it sounds like they're planning a movie, when 100B really deserves a premium cable show. The format is perfect - relatively self-contained crime vignettes and mini-arcs, with hints of a larger mythology in the background.

QuoteHas anyone read the Lono spin-off? Is it worth a purchase?

I remember excitedly buying the first few issues, but just couldn't get into it for whatever reason. Didn't have the same magic.

positronic

Quote from: radiator on 25 April, 2017, 05:45:21 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 April, 2017, 08:46:53 PM

I remember hearing about the Tom Hardy thing, but that article is from nearly two years ago and not a word since. Also, it sounds like they're planning a movie, when 100B really deserves a premium cable show. The format is perfect - relatively self-contained crime vignettes and mini-arcs, with hints of a larger mythology in the background.

from Wikipedia's entry for 100 Bullets:
QuoteOn June 23, 2011, IGN reported that David S. Goyer, co-writer of Dark City and The Dark Knight, was attached to executive produce and write a TV series based on the comics for Showtime. However, in a June 2013 interview with Ain't It Cool News, Goyer stated that the project got "incredibly close" at Showtime before being turned down due to a multitude of mass shootings across the United States. He called the sudden turn of events "frustrating", further stating, "At one point, I thought it was going to happen at Showtime. It got to the three-yard line."

Smith

I complain way too often about an adaptation being different from the source,but with American Gods,its quite the reverse.Its the same thing,but with pictures.I know that statement makes no sense,but Its kinda how I feel.So,for those who read the book,dont expect anything new here.Which isnt necessarily a bad thing...Anyway,sweet covers.

Theblazeuk

I just don't get the appeal of straight adaptations of books into comics, unless it's Lovecraft or something of similarly laboured prose.

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 26 April, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
I complain way too often about an adaptation being different from the source,but with American Gods,its quite the reverse.Its the same thing,but with pictures.I know that statement makes no sense,but Its kinda how I feel.So,for those who read the book,dont expect anything new here.Which isnt necessarily a bad thing...Anyway,sweet covers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless the reader's expectation going into it was different. I'm not clear on why it would be unless someone was under the impression of a prequel/sequel, as opposed to a straight adaptation. Clearly not everyone reading the adaptation will have read the prose version beforehand.