Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Hey Pete - hopefully sent you a bit of traffic your way. You're also free to nick the cover art (what little I've done of it) from either my site or the eclectic micks site.

-pj

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Pete Wells

Got your mail, cheers Larf, it'll be going up in the next coupla days!

Thanks PJ, you're a star as ever! Can I be cheeky and ask if you've got an unlettered version of your awsome cover of Meg 281?

And thanks to everyone else who've said nice stuff, I'm having a ball doing the blog and it'sd great to have folk along for the ride!

Oh and Trout, I found your Brainblooms covers on Barney! Here you go:

Original Version:

Published Version:

Disgraceful!

vzzbux

I absolutely love Kev Walkers Anderson art. Forgot all about his work until I read this thread.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

pauljholden

Gawd, but wasn't that large hand lettering style of text gorgeous - sadly something we've missed now 2000AD (and everyone else) has gone digital lettering.

I kinda wish someone would take THOSE fonts and digitise them...

(Pete - you have mail...)

-pj

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Original Version:

I've never seen that before! Is that Bolland? Although the inks are not characteristic, something about the face and the way the shadow of the arm falls across the figure makes me think of him ...

Edit to add: Aha! Don Lawrence. Should have Googled that first, really.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pete Wells

Hooray, just done a nice PJ Holden post on the blog...

Large48

Hi Pete, great site, have a look on Comic Art Fans and 2000AD Artwork Gallery. I think I have a couple of Mark Harrison covers on there.

Cheers
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Pete Wells

Yeah, cheers Large, I've got 'em saved for future posts!

I had a look in my Old Dredd Mega History and got some info on the Don Lawrence Brainblooms cover. Apparently, this cover infuriated Carlos Ezquerra who was already pissed off because the debut strip of his character drawn by someone else. Apparently, Lawrence was having trouble getting the look of Dredd right (an old woman is about as far wrong as you can get!) so an Ezquerra Dredd from the banned 'Bank Raid' strip was pasted over the top. Shocking!

flintlockjaw

Quote from: Pete Wells on 09 July, 2009, 10:54:34 PM
Yeah, cheers Large, I've got 'em saved for future posts!

I had a look in my Old Dredd Mega History and got some info on the Don Lawrence Brainblooms cover. Apparently, this cover infuriated Carlos Ezquerra who was already pissed off because the debut strip of his character drawn by someone else. Apparently, Lawrence was having trouble getting the look of Dredd right (an old woman is about as far wrong as you can get!) so an Ezquerra Dredd from the banned 'Bank Raid' strip was pasted over the top. Shocking!

I actually like the old lady on the cover better.

Mardroid

Quote from: flintlockjaw on 11 July, 2009, 05:13:19 PM
I actually like the old lady on the cover better.

Me too. It's a great image. I'd imagine the second one would probably pull in more of the customers of the time though.

I read that story in the first Case Files book before I subscribed to the Prog. Very amusing story.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 July, 2009, 12:45:09 PM
Me too. It's a great image. I'd imagine the second one would probably pull in more of the customers of the time though.

It did me ... I've just remembered that I own that prog!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

All I want for Christmas is to hear Dredd exclaim 'By stomm!' in the prog once more - just once.
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

Quote from: pjholden on 08 July, 2009, 09:08:48 PM
Gawd, but wasn't that large hand lettering style of text gorgeous - sadly something we've missed now 2000AD (and everyone else) has gone digital lettering.

I kinda wish someone would take THOSE fonts and digitise them...

(Pete - you have mail...)

-pj

It looks a bit like Brushscript to me.

This is a question for anyone.

Does anyone do hand lettering anymore ?

When you look back through old progs the lettering is all just plain block capitals that are all slightly different like handwriting but all basically the same.

You look in the latest prog now and you see the exact same thing but is this handlettering or is it now digitised ?

Is any of the lettering actually written using fonts ?

Is there any advantage in digitising lettering in general ?

Obviously you can move it around the page without manually cutting and pasting but beyond that is there any advantage and is it faster to digitise it ?

Just curious.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

Great blog idea Pete. Lots of cover goodness here, including preliminary sketches, inks only etc:
http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/