Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

A $12,000-a-ticket private music festival in the Bahamas has turned into a Lord Of The Flies-style dystopian nightmare and like most people on social media, I can't stop laughing.  I have a bad cold so I end up wheezing and coughing, but it's totally worth it.
I'll feel bad if someone dies, but until then if you paid 12k to watch Blink 182, seriously, fuck you.

Hawkmumbler

Been following the proceedings with morbid curiosity all day. Rich kids in too deep is hilarious reality disaster entertainment.

Smith

Oh no,they had to eat cheese sandwitches!The horror!THE HORROR!

von Boom

Should've bought a ticket for the butler too. Wankers.

Theblazeuk

On the one hand it isn't nice to laugh at other's misfortunes, and it's not cool for anyone to be locked into an airport waiting room against their will no matter the size of their wallet. On the other hand these people will all fall backwards into comfort and spent half a year's wage on a badly-planned holiday in the Bahamas with some utterly dire music acts.

Mardroid

I started a five week contract last Thursday.

This morning I got a call from the agency informing me that "while I fitted in well, they were doing a staff reshuffle and as of today, I was no longer required." So three days then. Hmm.

I'm not entirely surprised as I'm quite a slow worker, so I guess if they're going to let someone go, it would be me, but after just three days?

Never mind, I needed a rest. (Warehouse work. On my feet for a good part of 8 hours, etc, and I've been feeling the aches and pains a bit today.)

The Legendary Shark

I sympathise, Mardy. I'm 50 years old and just started work as a gardener-cum-odd-jobber after years of a driving a truck and my body feels like somebody threw it down a mountain. Twice.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Driving home from a weekly shop at Aldi earlier, it's a relatively hot day, so we have the windows open.
Oh look, what's that massive cloud on the road ahead?
Oh my god, BEES!
Ten seconds later, the car was full of bees, I had a bee-covered face and my wife nearly swerved off the road.

Thankfully, didn't get stung. Double thankfully, as my mum is hugely allergic to bee stings and suffers anaphylaxis if stung- and I've never been stung, so I have no idea if I am too.

SBT

Mardroid

Yikes! Glad you're all okay SBT. Thankfully bees in this country are not particularly aggressive, but in that situation they could have figured they were under attack...

I don't think I've ever been stung either. Not even by a wasp. I reckon they get a bad rep. Red ants on the other hand...

Theblazeuk

How does this happen? I've been stung at least 10 times. Three of which were memorable as a kid, the rest less important as an adult who has learned that life is pain.

JamesC

I've been told that you can't have an allergic reaction the first time you're stung, only on subsequent stings.

I have no idea if this is true (I've also never been stung).

Edit:

Apparently it is true: https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Insect-stings-v10-formatted-new-logo-and-reference-corrected.pdf

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That gives me... I don't know what, actually. On the one hand, if I get stung and don't die, hurray! On the other hand I still have the fear that next time I will die.
I am somehow MORE scared now.
The thing is, I love bees. As a kid, I used to sit in the garden and have them land on me. I've even stroked a few.
I can't stand the confusion in my mind!
SBT

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Just dress like a bee. I'm pretty sure there isn't much in-fighting as far as bees are concerned. So blend in, make them think you are a bee and you will have nothing to worry about.

I'd just like to add this is based on nothing but assumption.

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 May, 2017, 02:01:16 PM
That gives me... I don't know what, actually. On the one hand, if I get stung and don't die, hurray! On the other hand I still have the fear that next time I will die.
I am somehow MORE scared now.
The thing is, I love bees. As a kid, I used to sit in the garden and have them land on me. I've even stroked a few.
I can't stand the confusion in my mind!
SBT

To make things even more nerve-racking, you could be a beekeeper (say) for thirty years, get stung numerous times over that period then suddenly and without warning become allergic to bee stings and have a severe reaction

The Legendary Shark

I was just having a lunchtime forty winks when a robin flew into my cabin, crapped on my Mega Collection then flew out again. Little swine.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]