Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

No, that's the confusion the authorities want us to have.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

I think your giving "authorities" to much credit for racial (typically white) supremacy. If an individual believes themselves superior due to some genetic mumbo jumbo then they are resposnible for being shitty individuals, not so called "authorities".

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 April, 2017, 12:15:20 PM
I think your giving "authorities" to much credit for racial (typically white) supremacy. If an individual believes themselves superior due to some genetic mumbo jumbo then they are resposnible for being shitty individuals, not so called "authorities".

Agreed, but those authorities don't half exploit the beliefs of those shitty individuals.

The Legendary Shark

Authorities enable those people, use "national pride" to justify everything from anti-littering campaigns to genocide. You are absolutely correct to say that each of us is responsible for our own actions -  "I was just following orders" is not a valid excuse.

The authorities, however, could not exist without people, as groups and individuals, believing that "I must follow orders" is a valid excuse. Nationalism, bigotry, racial supremacy of all kinds and pride in one's country, people and history are used to validate that excuse.

Nobody has the right to force another person to act against their own personal morality but governments do it all the time, using the excuse that "your country demands it," which implies that an individual's morality is unimportant and subservient.

As I've said before, the UK "government" insists that theft (taxation) is necessary for the good of the country. I'm not allowed to steal because it's against the common, natural law but it's fine for my country, in the guise of "authority," to steal from me because legislative, artificial law says so.

I disagree with that position although many do not. I would also much rather have pride in all the best parts of the Earth and humanity as a whole, rather than the parts enclosed within abstract lines on a map.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

I never said national pride, I said cultural pride. They are not synonymous.

The Legendary Shark

Either can be subverted for political ends.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

While in theory I sort of agree with Shark on this point, in practise I find it difficult, as I come from the country which invented both the hobnob and the jaffa cake.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 April, 2017, 02:09:55 PM
While in theory I sort of agree with Shark on this point, in practise I find it difficult, as I come from the country which invented both the hobnob and the jaffa cake.

Has anyone ever eaten a Jaffa Cake AND a Hobnob at the same time? I'm going to say it...DOUBLE WHAMMY! Forgive me, FORGIVE ME...Oh, the shame!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 April, 2017, 01:06:22 PM
Whilst I find your particular stance on this issue is equatable to culture erasure, which is a part of nationalism.

Tjm86

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 April, 2017, 02:29:17 PM
Has anyone ever eaten a Jaffa Cake AND a Hobnob at the same time? I'm going to say it...DOUBLE WHAMMY! Forgive me, FORGIVE ME...Oh, the shame!

Being quite partial to mixing Wine Gums or Haribo's with Dairy Milk chocolate all I can say is, I get where your coming from.

[BTW, have we now merged the Threadjacking and Political Thread?  I reckon it's going to make for a much more interesting conversation!]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 April, 2017, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 April, 2017, 01:06:22 PM
Whilst I find your particular stance on this issue is equatable to culture erasure, which is a part of nationalism.

What do you mean?

Jaffa-Nobs sounds like a damn fine idea - we must contact McVitie's immediately with a list of demands...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

So Theresa May will stepped down, so we got no sodding leaders for Brexit?

Steve Green

Snap General Election at a guess.

Some speculation a senior royal has died.

Goaty

Oh shit, General Election on day before my birthday!

Is that biggest gamble?

Tjm86

Not even close to being a gamble.  Labour are nowhere and could conceivably haemorrhage support with the current level of ineptitude shown by Corbyn.  Liberal may make some gains but limited.  Most likely outcome is status quo but with a renewed mandate to negotiate what they want to.  This is not an election to sit out on no matter what you think of the current crop of politicians.  It almost has the potential to become a referendum on the referendum.