Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Some might argue that publicly being seen to vote for it when it's a lost cause and yet pointedly abstaining on the one occasion that it needs every man on deck to ensure it happens looks more like opportunism.

What they should have asked him was "do you believe frogs turn gay from pollution?"  Which sounds ridiculous as a scientific notion, but fabulous as a TMNT spin-off.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 April, 2017, 07:38:46 PMSome might argue that publicly being seen to vote for it when it's a lost cause and yet pointedly abstaining on the one occasion that it needs every man on deck to ensure it happens looks more like opportunism.
He fucked up that time. He's admitted as much and regrets the decision. His reasoning was because the bill was in a few key ways deeply flawed and he wanted to – but failed to – change that. That doesn't make him evil on toast. (I'm no major fan of Farron in general, but this all smacks of witch hunt. My feed is full of Labour people screaming about Farron being anti-gay, which is just bullshit. Bafflingly, I have Tories arguing the same, too, as if their party gives a flying fuck about LGBT+ when it comes to voting.)

Professor Bear

Tories like a good mob as much as the rest of us.  Just be thankful there isn't a fox on the other end of it.

Theblazeuk

I was specifically referring to the deflection of "If I was Muslim or Jewish, I wouldn't be under scrutiny for splitting my vote between my publicly stated position and my personal religious viewpoint".

Whilst I think abstaining on the vote is a bit cowardly, I am an atheist who believes politicians should be secular (and my old MP voted consistently catholic, which was always an issue when otherwise he was spot on with everything, at least till his sad demise), and I can understand the reasoning why. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly valid weak point to be targeted for if you claim the position of championing equal rights for gay people.

It is complete hyperbole to be attacked as 'not liking gays' I admit.  But I think responding with What-about-ism and playing into the divisive rhetoric that claims Christians are some kind of persecuted group is a significant low. It's also inaccurate (A Muslim MP would certainly face scrutiny), and though it might be relatively harmless this kind of ****shit has been shaping politics for some time and it's not winning me over.

Professor Bear

As one Twitter wag put it when Farron said the "If I was Muslim or Jewish" comment: "clearly Tim was not paying attention during the London mayoral election."

Me, I found his comments ill-advised and one step away from shouting about Social Justice Warriors, but more funny than harmful.
Mind you, it is pretty entertaining to watch him try to grasp why - after months of personally attacking politicians - those politicians' supporters are now attacking him personally.  That would be funny enough on its own, but then you remember that people are currently widely sharing a video in which he quotes Biblical verse about not judging others in case you are judged in turn.

Suede1971

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 April, 2017, 06:10:28 PM
what infuriated me most was her saying how her family were on benefits but they were hard working benefitistas not like these modern scroungers who don't deserve support like what her family did..... :thumbsdown:
Some like that round here, there is nothing worse and more divisive then subservient working class people.

The Legendary Shark

Aren't all "working class" people subservient (to their "middle class" and "upper class" masters) by definition?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JPMaybe

Apart from being the dweeb scion of a rump of Tory enabling fuckwits who'll go back into coalition with them in a heartbeat, Farron voted to allow registrars not to carry out same-sex marriages on the basis of their religious beliefs, and generally has a history of absenteeism on key votes on LGBTQ and reproductive rights (see here).
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Suede1971

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 April, 2017, 11:29:07 AM
Aren't all "working class" people subservient (to their "middle class" and "upper class" masters) by definition?

I would say more powerless, there is parts of working class society that believe anything which is told to them by the press, politicians and tv like all unemployed working class people are scroungers etc, you can blame TV programmes like jeremy kyle and newspapers like the sun for this.

Its just deflection tactics to me, shift the blame to a more vulnerable part of society so they are not targeted, it was the trade unions and miners in the 70's 80's and now in the 2000's its the unemployed etc who are the target now.

Sorry for the rant.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JPMaybe on 22 April, 2017, 11:57:10 AMTory enabling fuckwits who'll go back into coalition with them in a heartbeat

I just assumed I missed a new dictionary definition of the word "oppose" being introduced that means the opposite of what it used to.
They also quietly shifted from the anti Brexit party to the anti hard Brexit party without skipping a beat, I notice.

Something Fishy

Say what you like about farron but down here in Cornwall I have learned the hard way the voting anything other than lib leads to Tories stomping the shit out of the place.  Fuck that.

Modern Panther

A little reminder why it's important to vote in your local elections.  Gisela Allen is a genuine candidate and could soon be helping to run public services in your local area.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 April, 2017, 05:12:23 PM
They also quietly shifted from the anti Brexit party to the anti hard Brexit party without skipping a beat, I notice.
Their policy is "single market membership at the very minimum", unless it changed since yesterday. In other words, their aim is the status quo but their fallback position is a Norway-style deal.

GordonR

Quote from: Modern Panther on 22 April, 2017, 10:23:05 PM
A little reminder why it's important to vote in your local elections.  Gisela Allen is a genuine candidate and could soon be helping to run public services in your local area.

She is, apparently, 85 years old and - I'll hazard a guess - not quite all there these days.

This certainly makes her hatred of the elderly a bit weird.

Hawkmumbler

Self loathing is the key to bigotry.