The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

No, something else entirely.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Fair enough, I won't delve.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Ta. That's probably for the best.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

So for General Election, Whoever wins... We fucked?

Professor Bear

We can still be okay if people pull together and abandon the factional squabbliyeah we're fucked.

Steve Green

I'm not sure why Corbyn appeas to be refusing a TV debate unless May is involved.

Professor Bear

I imagine because even Seamus Milne knows it would be idiotic to subject Corbyn to a televised dogpile.  May would be the one on the defensive in an all-leaders debate, but without the PM it's just the opposition parties attacking each other.

Steve Green

Still, if people are going for the May's a coward line, the Mirror breaking out the giant chicken and Corbyn supporters complaining about not enough media coverage, doing the same as May seems to me like the worst option.

Modern Panther

In today's main news, professional distraction Boris Johnson has said a mean thing.  how does those bode for the future of society?
Why does everyone hate Corbyn? More at 10, 11 and 3. 

in other news, Tory supporters launch biological terror attack on their political opponents. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/413804/update-forfar-lockdown-was-due-to-politically-motivated-anthrax-threat-articleisfree/

NapalmKev

Quote from: Modern Panther on 27 April, 2017, 08:10:47 AM
In today's main news, professional distraction Boris Johnson has said a mean thing.  how does those bode for the future of society?
Why does everyone hate Corbyn? More at 10, 11 and 3. 

They had him on GMB* this morning calling Corbyn a 'Mugwump', or some such bollocks. What a crock o' shite!

Cheers

*GMB are massive Tory fans as is evident by their demonization of anyone that belongs to another party! I complained to the programme the other day about an interview in which the Labour guy (can't remember name) wasn't allowed to finish a single sentence. In the same  interview, Suzanne Reed picked up the guy's personal iPad and held it up to the camera, making a massive song and dance about a remain sticker. Because that's clearly all we care about! Shit programme, shit channel!
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 April, 2017, 08:33:58 PM
IP, the "anarcho-statist" crack was a joke to highlight a point I was making - I'm sorry if it went too far and became an insult, that certainly wasn't my intention.
Don't worry – I thought it was funny. As for my position, I want to see change in society, just not to the wholesale radical change you want. I'd be happy with a society sitting somewhere in a mash-up of SNP/GP/LD manifestos from 2015 – recognisable but also altered in terms of strong provision for services, a national basic wage, huge overhauls for energy, and so on. 

Quote from: Goaty on 26 April, 2017, 10:09:17 PMSo for General Election, Whoever wins... We fucked?
The problem is that with Labour unwilling to consider cooperation, there's almost no chance of anything other than a Tory majority – and a big one. So, probably, yes. I've seen people excited about the Lib Dems finally doing well under FPTP, but that's just not going to happen for a reasonable definition of well. They're polling between 8 and 12%. To do 'well' under FPTP (in the same way Labour and the Tories do), they'd need more than 52 and 78 seats. I'd be surprised if they end up with fewer than 15, but that seems a likely end point (which would mean on about 10% of the vote they'd get 2.5% of the seats. FPTP in action again.)

Quote from: Steve Green on 26 April, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
I'm not sure why Corbyn appeas to be refusing a TV debate unless May is involved.
PMQs would suggest because he's useless at debate. He's fine being a protestor and rattling off a speech. But in the Commons, he's a disaster. A remotely adequate politician would be tearing chunks off of May (who's also awful), but Corbyn bangs on with his 'questions from the public' (a good idea precisely once), and doesn't bother with follow-ups. Angus Robertson has been a more effective opposition in the Commons than Corbyn, which is bloody insane.

But here's the thing: Corbyn and Labour have said they want this election as a means to get their policies out there. Going on telly and arguing in favour of them would seem a decent way of doing that. The TV channels should bench the both of them – and still give their empty chairs time to answer the questions.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, IP. Although there's very little we agree on, I do enjoy our arguments ("arguments" in the classical sense) and appreciate the fact that you take the time to present counter-arguments instead of just hurling scorn, ridicule and insults.

Not long ago, someone said I was unpleasant to argue with. That upset me and I have, I hope, taken that criticism on board. That's not the person I want to be. I, like you and almost everyone else here, argue for a better society. That's my motive, not the belittling, ridicule or contempt of others. That we don't agree is probably a good thing because no one person can possibly have all the answers and the future must be comprised of many voices.

Now, I'll let you statists get back to arguing about which idiots to put in charge... ;-)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 10:13:01 AM
Thanks, IP. Although there's very little we agree on, I do enjoy our arguments ("arguments" in the classical sense) and appreciate the fact that you take the time to present counter-arguments instead of just hurling scorn, ridicule and insults.

Not long ago, someone said I was unpleasant to argue with. That upset me and I have, I hope, taken that criticism on board. That's not the person I want to be. I, like you and almost everyone else here, argue for a better society. That's my motive, not the belittling, ridicule or contempt of others. That we don't agree is probably a good thing because no one person can possibly have all the answers and the future must be comprised of many voices.

Now, I'll let you statists get back to arguing about which idiots to put in charge... ;-)

Things in here seem relatively cordial to me.

Shark, Have you considered writing a book based on your idea for the ideal future society, by which I mean your Ideal in the near future? your own Atlas Shrugged, if you like. (I'm  not trying to compare you to Ayn Rand, it's just that Atlas Shrugged is the only example I can think of.) Debates on a message boards are by necessity expressed in short chunks and as soon as you walk a longer path that a few steps from the news the ideas become to complex to break down into bite size chunks.     

The Legendary Shark

I have thought about it, yes, even tried planning and plotting one out a few times but my ambition has always outstripped my talent, coming out either stupid and simplistic or pompous and impenetrable. I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged very much and regret losing my copy to "The Event."

Maybe one day I'll be up to doing justice to the subject but, in the meantime, I'm happy to be writing scripts for Zarjaz, DogBreath and Paragon - which are much more enjoyable! :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 April, 2017, 07:43:31 AM
Still, if people are going for the May's a coward line, the Mirror breaking out the giant chicken and Corbyn supporters complaining about not enough media coverage, doing the same as May seems to me like the worst option.

Corbyn has been pushing for a debate with May since the GE was announced, May is the one who's ruled them out entirely.
As for getting media coverage, the only benefactors of an opposition-only debate would be the Tories and their "Coalition Of Chaos" narrative.  When Corbyn is dogpiled by the other leaders as they're egged on by the interviewer, Labour can kiss those recent polling gains goodbye.