Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

And on that days, a squaxx was born!

Congrats to the happy pair and good luck to Mrs.Rad!

Rogue Judge

I have to share a comic collectors dream that happened to me this week:

I live in Calgary (western Canada) and one of my best friends recently moved to Toronto (eastern Canada) for work. We have been collecting comics together for years (going to conventions together, going to the same comics shops etc.) and he had amassed a giant comic collection. Long story short, he sold his place and will (sadly) not be returning to Calgary so I have been helping him sell of some of his old stuff (his car, motorcycle, dvd collection etc). He has decided to stop collecting floppies and started reading TPBs instead so... he bestowed to me his entire comic collection - over 9000 comics (33 long-boxes)!!

The collection is 80-90% Marvel stuff with long runs and nearly no gaps. The collection includes:
-Amazing Spider-Man #250-now (also complete Spectacular, Peter-Parker, minis etc. etc.)
-Avengers #250-now (no gaps!)
-Complete run of Wolverine (the FM 4-parter until Logans death)
-Complete runs of Thunderbolts and Guardians of the Galaxy
-Nearly complete run of Silver Surfer
-Tons and tons of x-men
-Hundreds of the Dark Horse Star-Wars books (ongoings and minis)
-And thousands more of comics!!

I am beyond excited and cant wait to start reading a bunch of this stuff - I think I will start with Wolverine #1 and go at it...

We do have several longboxes of doubles, so I will be selling off a couple longboxes and giving him all the proceeds as a small thank you. He also had nearly the complete New 52 run of all the Superman and Batman titles - but I am not a DC fan so will be selling those as well.

I havent had time to go through all the boxes yet, so who know what other treasures lie within!!
So excited I had to share...no body else except comic collectors will understand this kind of joy  :D

Smith

A lot of awesome stuff there.  :)
Like I said earlier,you have Thunderbolts to look forward to.And probably Busieks Avengers(I assume its there?). Which was pretty much the last good run on the title IMO.
We talked about GotG in a different thread recently.Abnetts run was great,after that Bendis takes over and everything goes downhill.
From the DH Star Wars stuff,I would prioritize the ongoing(Star Wars-Republic-Clone Wars-Dark Times) and Legacy. Definitely Legacy.
My memory isn't greatest when it comes to Spider-man(outside Ultimate)...JMS did a solid job UNTIL Sins Past. And Paul Jenkins was pretty good on the spinoff titles.
Speaking of JMS,see if his Supreme Power is in there.

Rogue Judge

Thanks Smith,
The collection includes the Busiek Avengers run - its literally from Avengers #200 to now, including all the spin-offs (might etc.) and all the Bendis stuff and avengers right up until Secret War. I found a very thorough reading order online that I will use at some point, but I'm not sure its all worth reading!

Thanks for the Star Wars recommendations too, he has boxes of it including the Legacy series, which he tells me is the best too.

For spidey, I hated Sins Past when it came out - has this ever been properly retconned? I feel like ignoring it isn't enough, although it hasn't been mentioned throughout all the recent Gwen/Clone stuff either.

Greg M.

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 14 April, 2017, 07:32:04 PM
For spidey, I hated Sins Past when it came out - has this ever been properly retconned?

Nope - as you say, just very pointedly not mentioned by Dan Slott during the Clone Conspiracy. (Of particular note, given that Slott has an excellent knowledge of continuity and seldom hesitates to make such references.)

Smith

Speaking of Slott;his Spiderman/Human Torch mini is well worth seeking out.
Btw,damn shame if your friend missed Superior Foes of Spiderman. :)
The only good thing Nick Spencer ever wrote.
There was also Avengers Forever by Busiek.Great maxi series.And it only took 20 years,but Songbird did became an Avenger.

Magnetica

9000 comics....wow....that is overwhelming.

If you read one per day that would take 25 years to read!

Smith

I mentioned everything else,but Im not an expert on X-men.I always preferred the spinoffs to the main title,strangely.So if you haven't read it,and you have it now:
-X-force was pretty good thru it various incarnations.I know,I know,but once Liefeld left(after 8-9 issues) you had Nicieza(Fabian,he is our god, as Quantum and Woody would say),Loeb(he was good back then) and Ellis(needs no introduction). And there was Remenders Uncanny X-force.
-Peter Davids X-factor.Both the government team and the detective agency.Thou,I prefer the detective agency.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 April, 2017, 10:02:03 AM
9000 comics....wow....that is overwhelming.
If you read one per day that would take 25 years to read!

Wow, when you put it like that it seems unlikely I will read it all! However, I will likely sell a few thou, there is some stuff I will keep but likely never read (the original run of Guardians of the Galaxy for example) and when I am plowing my way through reading I often read about 5 books in a sitting -- with that, I figure I should be able to get through the majority within 5 years or so... 2000AD is still my priority though - case files always come first!

Quote from: Smith on 15 April, 2017, 11:03:25 AM
I mentioned everything else,but Im not an expert on X-men.I always preferred the spinoffs to the main title,strangely.So if you haven't read it,and you have it now:
-X-force was pretty good thru it various incarnations.I know,I know,but once Liefeld left(after 8-9 issues) you had Nicieza(Fabian,he is our god, as Quantum and Woody would say),Loeb(he was good back then) and Ellis(needs no introduction). And there was Remenders Uncanny X-force.
-Peter Davids X-factor.Both the government team and the detective agency.Thou,I prefer the detective agency.

I already have a personal complete run of Uncanny #94-now and the adjective-less X-men, as well as X-factor. However, I am inheriting from him complete X-force runs, Cable, Deadpool (first minis then complete starting with the Civil War Deadpool run until now), and X-man (of all things...never read this book except the AoA 4-parter), Gambit, and several minis/other series. He was a total completionist so I will have all the good stuff along with a bunch the less desirable titles too.

Smith

Oh yeah,Cable and Deadpool was a great series. :)

The Legendary Shark

The place where I live, in a shed, is drokking beautiful at this time of year.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, BSC. It's literally right behind my shed in darkest Lancashire!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Nothing "drokkin' fantastic" appears to have happened to anyone in over a month, so please allow me this.

I've just found out my wife is expecting twins! This means I will be a father/step father to eight children in total, four spewed from my own loins.

I am a little shellshocked, and may need a drink, but- wow.

SBT

von Boom

Congrats SBT(R)! How did you even find the time with 6 already?