Main Menu

Dredd the new movies.The big question???

Started by Thread Zero, 24 October, 2001, 05:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Has John Wagner written the original screenplay?

scojo

W. R. Logan

>Has John Wagner written the original screenplay?<

I believe John & Alan did a treatment for a script, but after they discovered they wouldn't get paid for it they never submitted it.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Thread Zero

I believe John & Alan did a treatment for a script, but after they discovered they wouldn't get paid for it they never submitted it.

Logan, wasn't that for the original Dredd movie?

I read something along those lines then.

I think we have got to know soon who the writers are.

If John Wagner hasn't written the original screenplay, regardless of rewrites by other writers, the film will not work.

The screenplay is the most important part of any film.

scojo

W. R. Logan

Scojo I was on about the original as you guessed as for the current movies they've yet to be written.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Thread Zero

Scojo I was on about the original as you guessed as for the current movies they've yet to be written.

You sure about that?

From the press release the story outline has been written so you may be wrong there.

Over to Rebellion I think for the definitive word on the screenplays and who has or will write them.

scojo

Thread Zero

Logan,

Read the latest news on the films on the newsround page.

I think it is fair to say the scripts have been written or are in the process of being written.

Please, someone tell me who has written them!

I am desperate to know!

I would love to write a Dredd screenplay.

No hand on heart, I would write a treatment if Rebellion were interested.
Email me.

I have written four screenplays thus far, got the writing software, know the format.

scojo

W. R. Logan

>Logan,
>Read the latest news on the films on the newsround page.
>I think it is fair to say the scripts have been written or are in the >process of being written.
>Please, someone tell me who has written them!
>I am desperate to know!
>I would love to write a Dredd screenplay.
>No hand on heart, I would write a treatment if Rebellion were interested.
>Email me.
>I have written four screenplays thus far, got the writing software, know the >format.
>scojo

Scojo,

This is a quote from Jason Kingsley reference the Dredd movie:

The initial concept lines are just that, initial 'high concepts', since they've yet to be written.  They're also aimed at the non-Dredd-knowing film community at large.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79

Thread Zero

So I can write one then?

Cool.

Jason, what about my idea?

I am serious too.

scojo

GordonR

> I would love to write a Dredd screenplay.

>hand on heart, I would write a treatment if Rebellion >were interested.
>Email me.

>I have written four screenplays thus far, got the >writing software, know the format.

Blimey, well why didn't you say so earlier!  There's no justice if you don't get the gig.  Incidentally, I have seen a couple of football matches on TV and I've got the right software (ie. Champ Manager on my PC) and yet those fools at the FA turned down my application for the England job.

But wait, didn't the mighty scohjo say this earlier on today:  "If John Wagner hasn't written the original screenplay, regardless of rewrites by other writers, the film will not work."

So, basically, the only people who could write the Dredd movie are you or John Wagner?

Maybe he doesn't have the right software, though... would leave you the only one left in the running!

Thread Zero

I believe I can write a screenplay as good (or nearly as good!) as John Wagner.

Hand on heart I do.

A screenplay is a different beast to a comic script you must understand.

John is a comic writer. I am a screenwriter.

If Rebellion agree to read my screenplay I would write one. If it is no good I will accept that.

Can't say fairer than that Milo.

scojo

GordonR

>I believe I can write a screenplay as good (or nearly >as good!) as John Wagner.

>Hand on heart I do.

>A screenplay is a different beast to a comic script >you must understand.

Having been paid to write both kinds of scripts, I do indeed understand this.  But hey, I'm always glad to pick up an few tips from another writer.

>John is a comic writer. I am a screenwriter.

I've been reading John's comics work for more than 25 years now.  That's how he makes his living, and that's how I know he's a comics writer.

I don't know what it is you do for a living, scojo, but I'll tell you that when you really do make your living as a writer or anything similar, there's nothing you get sick of quicker than people telling you, "oh, I'm a bit of a writer too.  Yes, I've written four screenplays/got an unpublished novel in a box under my bed/write poetry for the local parish newsletter."

Simply put: the world is full of people who say they're writers of some sort or another, but the only proof is in getting your work accepted, commissioned, published, filmed or whatever.  When that happens, you're a writer; until then, you're just someone who's written a bunch of unseen screenplays and LA is full of waiters and barmen who can make the same claim.

>If Rebellion agree to read my screenplay I would >write one. If it is no good I will accept that.

Being a screenwriter, you'd probably already know that they're unlikely to look at any unsolicited scripts for a project already now in development, if only to legally protect themselves further down the line.  The best way to pitch for the gig nmight be to get your agent (real screenwriters have agents, right?) to make a formal pitch-approach to the production company rather than Rebellion.

Thread Zero

I don't know what it is you do for a living, scojo, but I'll tell you that when you really do make your living as a writer or anything similar, there's nothing you get sick of quicker than people telling you, "oh, I'm a bit of a writer too.

Milo, what I do or don't do besides writing is irrelevant.

As for "I'm a writer too" allow me to present you with the FACTS.

Two of my screenplays are with agents in the US.
OK?

One is with AEI Literary management. The other is with Broder Kurland.
If you don't believe me, email me and I will email you back my email correspondence to and from the agents.
OK?
Or I can you the telephone number and the name of the agent at Broder Kurland instead.

I am an ASPIRING writer.

I do not have an agent in the UK as I am concentrating on the US market.
I am aware of the whole unsolicited submission routine.

What I find amusing is that I at least offer to write
a screenplay and you critise me for my enthusiasm.

You show me your ideas for a Dredd screenplay if you are a writer then and I will respect your opinion.

scojo

Simply put: the world is full of people who say they're writers of some sort or another, but the only proof is in getting your work accepted, commissioned, published, filmed or whatever. When that happens, you're a writer; until then, you're just someone who's written a bunch of unseen screenplays and LA is full of waiters and barmen who can make the same claim.

>If Rebellion agree to read my screenplay I would >write one. If it is no good I will accept that.

Being a screenwriter, you'd probably already know that they're unlikely to look at any unsolicited scripts for a project already now in development, if only to legally protect themselves further down the line. The best way to pitch for the gig nmight be to get your agent (real screenwriters have agents, right?) to make a formal pitch-approach to the production company rather than Rebellion.