Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Goaty on 13 April, 2017, 12:10:22 AM
Super

I loved it! So brutal! Better than Kick-Ass! He really did hit people with that wench!

Watch out for that director James Gunn, wonder what he does now?
Super is the cape satire movie Kick-Ass wishes it was.

Blunt as a hammer but so brilliantly cynicle and dry.

Satanist

I absolutely love Super. SHUTUP CRIME!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mattofthespurs

I'd never heard of Super but due to the love on this forum for it I checked out the trailer.
Looked good.
Now watching it on Netflix.
Trailer has all the good parts.  :|

Mattofthespurs

I really enjoyed the last couple of minutes of Super but it was a pretty low rent Kick Ass for the most part.

von Boom

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 April, 2017, 11:30:10 PM
Echh. Haven't even seen Rogue One yet - we'll get there. Maybe in 2019.

As it stands...

Tomorrowland: A World Beyond (2015)
Meandering but likable. Burdened with a flabby narrative but enriched by solid casting and eye-meltingly glorious special effects. Certainly could be a great deal shorter and a little bit more refined but my love for the genius of Brad Bird remains unfettered - the doe-eyed 60's optimism is endearing and the film is remarkably free of many of the tropes that would make it cynically hateful. For Disney to be making this sort of self-contained original film in the era of the OMNIFRANCHISE is a rare treat - and there's something marvelously Twilight-Zoney about the whole undertaking that makes it more memorable than regrettable in my view.

I was one of those that saw it in the cinema and was quite pleased at the time. After all the teenage angsty dystopian muck it was a refreshingly positive change. If the story had been more focused I think it would have been much better received.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: von Boom on 13 April, 2017, 03:23:06 PM
If the story had been more focused I think it would have been much better received.

Agreed - Brad Bird is normally extraordinarily good at narratives. I blame co-writer Damon Lindelof who wrote Lost, Cowboys and Aliens, Star Trek Into Darkness and Prometheus...

Ah well - if the critical fall-out resulted in Bird returning to animation it's no bad thing at all.

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 13 April, 2017, 03:40:53 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 13 April, 2017, 03:23:06 PM
If the story had been more focused I think it would have been much better received.

Agreed - Brad Bird is normally extraordinarily good at narratives. I blame co-writer Damon Lindelof who wrote Lost, Cowboys and Aliens, Star Trek Into Darkness and Prometheus...

I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of it, right up to the point that I realised that there wasn't going to be any extended sequence in Tomorrowland itself, and the [spoiler]Jules Verne Eiffel Tower[/spoiler] setup was as close as it was going to get; and shortly thereafter that none of the big puzzles were going to be addressed.  And [spoiler]killing off Athena [/spoiler]was a pretty much unforgivable downer in a film whose theme was the value of optimism.

But there's loads to enjoy in there, some great (if odd) performances, great designs, a strong message... it just doesn't quite deliver what it promises. Owen is spot on with his list of Lindelhof films that suffer similar fates. However, much like John Carter it in no way deserved the box office savaging it got.

Professor Bear

A Damon Lindelof script that promises and never delivers?  I never thought I'd see the day!

Tomorrowland's problem was that it was so reactive to modern YA movies that it never commits to its own supposed convictions.  Theme park/pony/Star Wars enthusiast Jenny Nicholson goes a bit further down the rabbit hole in critiquing the film in a video called "Tomorrowland Ruined My Life And Dreams," but for me, I just couldn't wrap my head around what the point of the film was supposed to be if no-one actually learns the value of optimism that the titular locale represents - the antagonist's complete lack of redemption remains particularly unsatisfying.  If you're going to kill off the baddie, an idea might be to actually make him bad to the point he deserves his fate, rather than just a bit depressed.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 April, 2017, 04:33:32 PM
Tomorrowland's problem was that it was so reactive to modern YA movies that it never commits to its own supposed convictions.

Well I've seen those sorts of analysis on it - but honestly it's a DISNEY film - it can never reach the level of existential subversiveness that other things of the now can touch on because it's central message seemed to be "STOP THINKING SO HARD AND DREAM". ALSO DISNEY. I enjoyed how uncynical it was (which essentially lies in its vague platitudes I suppose - anything more specific would have felt calculated).

*phew*

In terms of dealing with what is in the film, rather what isn't (never a good basis for judging anything really) - yeah they needed to spend more time in Tomorrowland, they needed to stop fannying around on the Eiffel Tower in a huge sequence that literally meant nothing and yeah killing [spoiler]Hugh and the girl (although admittedly both are accidental not intentional)[/spoiler] felt like the easy option.

Professor Bear

I would argue that following through on the premise you've spent millions of dollars promoting isn't really subversive, but hey - it was its own bed to shit.

Equals - oh wow, we're just talking about dystopian films and here's one.  Never watch this, it's terrible.  There was a Christian Bale movie called Equilibrium that has the same premise as this, but that was at least passably entertaining because of how dumb and super-Hollywood it got at points, especially the gun-fu scenes and the bit where Bale is trying to hide his emotions from the Emo Nazis while they're asking him if they should set a puppy on fire and his Christian Bale face is practically melting onscreen as he tries to act but not act at the same time.  There's nothing like that in this - no dumb fights, no outrageous OTT melodrama, just a simplistic story of a man and a woman in a society where emotions are a crime and... well, be honest, you already know the rest of the premise just from me saying that much, don't you?  Like Equilibrium, this can be watched as a parody of its genre, but that gets old surprisingly fast with Equals, which doesn't even have a decent title you can implant the word "shit" into to illustrate your low regard for its quality.  "SHITquals" - see?  Doesn't work at all.  Even the fucking title of the film is utterly worthless.

Kong: Skull Island - I enjoyed this more than the last couple of Godzillas.  This is exactly the kind of schlocky pulp nonsense that I wanted to see, with some great lines and images that illustrate how modern CGI can allow directors to transpose concept art directly onto the screen, for better or for worse.  The [spoiler]Godzillaverse[/spoiler] references are surprisingly unsubtle for something like this, and while they're fun for fans, I get the impression that those not aware of the connections going in will likely enjoy all the talk of "the original owners of the Earth" for its Lovecraftian overtones and general air of inescapable doom they bring to proceedings.  Really enjoyed it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: von Boom on 13 April, 2017, 03:23:06 PMI was one of those that saw it in the cinema and was quite pleased at the time. After all the teenage angsty dystopian muck it was a refreshingly positive change. If the story had been more focused I think it would have been much better received.

You may have just exchanged teenage angsty dystopian muck for middle-age angsty dystopian muck.

Goaty

Watch latest Ghostbusters.

Really? What a crap and shit film!!

Smith

Robocop (2014).Not as terrible as I expected,but its a generic/mediocre action movie.I got to say,Samuel L Jackson does steal the show.

Spikes

Despite having a few new and unwatched bits to go at, I dug out 'No Country for Old Men', and 'Donnie Darko', for yet another re-watch.

Both are kinda perfection.

Jim_Campbell

Warcraft. In a 'how bad could it REALLY be?' moment.

Yes. It's that bad. It's irredeemably awful. The plot makes no sense. The CGI is plastic and weightless. There's not one single character with consistent or comprehensible motivation. The design is so generic your eyes just slide right off it. There isn't a single line of dialogue that rises above functional or cliche. To add insult to injury, it might as well end with a massive 'To Be Continued' caption, because it doesn't even wrap up properly.

This is the worst movie I have seen in years. It's so bad, I can't even feel angry about it -- no one sets out to make a film this terrible, and I just ended up feeling sorry for everyone involved with this stinking turd of a project.

It's even worse than Man Of Steel, and I didn't even get to the end of that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.