Main Menu

“Truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Started by The Legendary Shark, 18 March, 2011, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

Aren't ducks the greatest?! Deliberately startling psuedo-zoologists like this, oh deary me you little necrophiliac bird devils you!

Seriously though, that's a duck. Not Champ. It's a bloody duck.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Well over the last month i've had to knock back more climate change deniers than in the last few year combined. I'm sure elevating an oil tycoon to the pedastle of president has nothing to do with these roaches creeping out from under their internet rock.

GordonR

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 December, 2016, 02:45:38 PM
Well over the last month i've had to knock back more climate change deniers than in the last few year combined. I'm sure elevating an oil tycoon to the pedastle of president has nothing to do with these roaches creeping out from under their internet rock.

Trump may be many things, but oil tycoon isn't one of them.  While he holds stocks in the oil industry, the main source of his wealth - and chief personal interest - remains real estate, hotels and leisure facilities.

If you want presidents deeply tied up with the oil industry then look no further than the Bush dynasty or Lyndon B Johnson.

Hawkmumbler

Ah, apologies, it seems my understand of just how large a role Drumpf plays in the fossil fuel industry is somewhat distorted, but I do still find it an interesting correlation how many out Trump supporters are materialising as open climate change deniers all of a sudden.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I've noticed something that's probably a coincidence but nevertheless intriguing. The symbol for Christianity, the cross, is an ancient symbol for the sun, Islam's symbol is the moon and Judaism's symbol is a star. These three religions hail from the same part of the world - is it possible, I wonder, that these three religions were once a single "sky cult" that split into three a few centuries ago?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

That they all share the same origin story, right up to Genesis Ch 22, and in many details thereafter, rather suggests that is the case.  But rather more than a few centuries ago.

Also, the split was not exclusive: you can fire a whole of other religions into the sky cult grab-bag too, as they borrow and lend elements to each other.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tordels - I guess lots of people have investigated this already. Are there any books on the subject that you know of?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Lots of incidental stuff wrapped up in the same stories. Moses secret origin bears more than a paint resemblance to Karna in the Mahabharata.

I couldn't give you any succinct, modern treatment but The Golden Bough is surely the classic starting point. And out of copyright.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 31 July, 2018, 10:05:12 AM
I couldn't give you any succinct, modern treatment but The Golden Bough is surely the classic starting point. And out of copyright.

Was going to suggest that very book, Frazer a heavy presence on my bookshelf since I was a teen.  But I'd also be wary of the kind of easy conflation Golden Bough is full of - and in general things like Graves' wonderfully entertaining schema for the Greek Myths, for example - if it looks too neat to be true, it probably is.

The common root of the Abrahamic religions though, that's in indisputable territory.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps. I'm becoming quite intrigued by the base similarities between the different religions - one of the most striking similarities to me is the different versions of The Golden Rule, which seems all but forgotten in these materialistic times but would surely help the world achieve a better state if brought more to the fore.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 July, 2018, 10:21:06 AM...the different versions of The Golden Rule, which seems all but forgotten in these materialistic times but would surely help the world achieve a better state if brought more to the fore.

Testify.  I won't bore you with my personal belief system ("like arseholes..."), but that same process is how I came by it.