Main Menu

Bristol Comics Expo

Started by Alski, 09 May, 2011, 09:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Will be bringing a couple of prints with me as well. Assuming they turn up on time.

Naturally, I expect people to fight for the right to buy them...
Pffft...

SuperSurfer

Nope, won't be there I'm afraid. Got too much stuff to get on with.

Gibson Quarter

Cant make it this year, but MAN!... I had a blast at the last one...hope this year is just as good.

locustsofdeath!

Will be there. Not sure how long I'll stay, as I've got to catch the late train back home. I can't wait to meet many of you, though it's a bummer I'll be saying bye as well...

spireite68

Where is everyone meeting on Friday night and at what time?
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: spireite68 on 10 May, 2011, 03:58:21 PM
Where is everyone meeting on Friday night and at what time?

Ramada bar- whenever you get there.

CrazyFoxMachine

Is that the Ramada sort of across and down from Temple Meads? I took a gander round there the other day - but it looked UTTERLY IMPENETRABLE.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 May, 2011, 07:06:04 PM
Is that the Ramada sort of across and down from Temple Meads? I took a gander round there the other day - but it looked UTTERLY IMPENETRABLE.

That's the one. Walk down the hill from the station and turn right, and you're almost there!

Richmond Clements

Ill be on a couple of panels on the Sunday.

I'm chairing this one:
Sunday - 3 pm - Panel Room 2 (orange room)
IT'S A "YES" FROM HIM, BUT IT'S A "NO" FROM ME.

What gives a book the Com.x-factor? A discussion on how to make the most out of your submission, how to improve the quality of your pitching materials and an insight into what floats our publishing boat!

Thoughts and comments from Com.x publisher Eddie Deighton & Jon Sloan and insights and anecdotes (i.e., inane ramblings) from creator of acclaimed graphic novel [Forty-Five]45, Andi Ewington.

And am on the panel on this one:

Sunday - 4 pm - Panel Room 1 (pink room)

Small Press, Big Ideas

With the falling cost of producing comics and the rise of the internet as a tool for marketing and distributing comics, it's becoming more and more viable for creators to publish mainstream, commercially viable comics by themselves. These books share little in common with the more artistically driven labours-of-love that are traditionally associated with the small press so is it right that they are all classed under the same banner? We will examine whether there is a difference between a true small press book and a mainstream book that is printed in small numbers. Is it damaging creators and limiting ambition by creating an artificial underclass of comics? Is it time for up and coming creators to abandon the term 'small press' and just make comics?

I trust I shall see you all there!

Matt Timson

QuoteIs it damaging creators and limiting ambition by creating an artificial underclass of comics? Is it time for up and coming creators to abandon the term 'small press' and just make comics?

I don't know about damaging- but it's definitely time for people to say that they're just making comics, I think.  I honestly believe that 'proper' publishers are becoming less important- unless you particularly want to do work for hire with established characters.

Admittedly, it's still easier to get noticed if you've already worked with a comics publisher, but it's not as difficult to get your work noticed if you're a complete unknown either.
Pffft...

Richmond Clements

Yup- I agree with you.

But I'll waffle a bit more on the panel!

Lady Festina

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 May, 2011, 07:06:04 PM

That's definitely the one. Go through the uninspiring door with columns and smokers outside it, look for some stairs going up to nowhere. Climb said stairs, emerge into lobby / bar area. Remember to go into Con and not just straight to bar.

NB. The above is how I've managed to get in the last couple of years. It may not be the official way....

Lady Festina

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 10 May, 2011, 08:07:49 AM
Will be there. Not sure how long I'll stay, as I've got to catch the late train back home. I can't wait to meet many of you, though it's a bummer I'll be saying bye as well...

Long train journeys, eh? Perfect for writing an entry into this month's Story Comp  :D

Matt Timson

Did anybody pick up 'Signal' by Paul Duffield?  Self published and hand made.  It's beautiful- and put together in pretty much the same way that Paul Scott put together 'Solar Wind'.  No ISBN and no publisher- what anyone would reasonably call a small press comic.  Annoyingly, that tag can have quite negative connotations- such as being not good enough for a 'real' publisher- which is absolute piffle.

Anyway.  Mine's a pint of Red Stripe, a bottle of Corona, or a vodka and tonic.  All three if you're feeling flush.
Pffft...

Rob1971

I'll be there on the Friday night, trying to stop Molcher killing PJ.