Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Currently finishing Dishonored 2.

I played the first four (of nine or ten) levels and didn't like it, so went off and played Gears of War 4 and a bit of GTA V.

Back to it now, and it's clicked. I don't know if it is because I have more powers or if I am just in the mood for it, but world and level building in Dishonored 2 is stunning. It deserved more success.

Got Nier on order too. That's next.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

Quote from: Krakajac on 18 April, 2017, 02:06:38 AM
Fired up Witcher III on the PS4 for the first time.

The jury is still out whether I'll persevere.  I haven't played W1 or W2, so it's a bit confusing being plonked straight into the world of W3 without some sort of adequate back story.  There is a cartoon montage/cut scene at the start - but it doesn't go far enough to explain why two factions are currently at war - and why Geralt is trying to track down his ex-lover, etc.  Yes, I know there are reasons - but for a person picking up the game for the first time - it's a tad confusing and difficult to emotionally invest in what's going on.

Graphically, it's exceptional and the exploring aspect is great.

However, I'm not sold on the combat system either.  My first quest was to kill the Griffin.  First attempt, I got mauled and died very quickly.  Second attempt, the system seemed to take into account that I didn't do so well the first time - and made it very easy for me to kill the beast.  How did I beat the Griffin?  Approached it and button-mashed until it went down.  Not all that satisfying.

But I'll give it a bit longer and see if it improves.

I've played both Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and was enjoying both until i found myself trapped in unwinnable battles. The save structure meant I couldn't go back to an earlier point to build my character before trying again.
I'm planning on starting Witcher 3 again sometime, with the intention of doing loads of side-quests before tackling too much of the main campaign.

Krakajac

I might have to take back what I said about the Witcher 3.  Slowly getting pulled in. :)

I pushed my way through to the city of Novigrad, just to have a gander.  Walked down to a harbour area and thought, 'lets go for a boat ride'.  Steamed out through the harbour entrance and looked up at the city heights on my right.

Takes a lot to surprise me graphically - but that did it.  Even more amazing when you take a walk up to the Novigrad Temple and then look out over the sea/city.

Only level 6 at present - plenty to see and do in Velen!

Sandman1

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 April, 2017, 07:59:34 AM
Currently finishing Dishonored 2. Back to it now, and it's clicked. I don't know if it is because I have more powers or if I am just in the mood for it, but world and level building in Dishonored 2 is stunning. It deserved more success.

The game didn't perform well in terms of sales, so there may not be any more games in the series. As you said, the world is really interesting and I would surely like to explore it more.
Error...

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Not counting mobile games (because they aren't proper games) the last game I played was the newest Pokemon game last year. I'm holding out for the new fancy Xbox with 4k and all that bollocks. There is really nothing that has motivated me to go out and buy a console. I think the last game I got fully into was GTA5 and that was what, 2 years ago now? (Pokemon was ok, but I only really played it for that kick of nostalgia, and to justify owning a 3DS still)

Theblazeuk

Discovered there's a fan reboot of Alien Swarm out on Steam... shooty co-op fun!

Mardroid

Red Dwarf XI The Game on Android.

It's just a cheap mobile game (or more accurately a series of games) corresponding to epeisodes of the last series, but it's quite fun. It's a tad buggy (I found myself trapped in certain areas and a couple of times parts of the environment I explicably vanished and poor old Rimmer ended up falling off the edge of the space-station and plummeted into open outer-space (literally. It happened a lot in an early level, but redownloading the game sorted that out. It happened in a later level also, but only once) but I largely like it. A tad tricky in places, but  perserverence pays pays off... although I'm a bit stuck in the last level flying Starbug through a ships corridors*.

I'm just three episodes in so far (that's several levels as there are a few levels per episode)and there's plenty more episodes to be added via updates. Should keep me going for a while, assuming I don't give up.

*Why they'd do that, I'm not sure. You'd usually get out once you've boarded a ship, I'd think. Guess the lads are lazy.

Theblazeuk

I've been playing the newish Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop , which takes the great 4-player co-op shooter and adds a bunch of community levels of varying refinement and some new features including 32 player support. Which is frankly unwieldy and ridiculous for a co-op top down shooter but I am enjoying revisiting a classic, those the parasites are still bastards.

I've also finally got around to ditching the Witcher 2 after discovering my save games were overwritten when I reinstalled it, and started straight in on Witcher 3. So very glad I did. Even this first starting area is beautiful and I thoroughly enjoy just wandering around the countryside on my horse. Just killed a griffin, so looks like I'll be leaving soon, but can't wait for more... Best Horse in any game.

Smith

Etherlords 2.Seriously,we need more card games for PC.

Professor Bear

Got a stinking cold, so gave Star Trek Online a go.  Free-to-play on PSN (and one presumes also on XBL), you pick a faction/race, then walk into the screen being pelted with text too small to read while the TNG computer voice gives you a tutorial on how to use the many controls by speaking too low to be heard over the music and background noises.  Why not just change the sound options?  Can't find them, or options to make the text big enough to read.  I also got lost multiple times trying to figure out what the actual heck I was supposed to be doing, as the map showing your destination is microscopic in size, and the glowing circle showing your destination - when not blending into the background so you can't see it - doesn't tell you which floor your goal is on, so you backtrack a bit, get lost, give up, maybe quit the game and come back to it an hour or so later and then find that the game was actually bugged the first time, and this time it hasn't loaded up textures like computer screens, so you can't tell a lot of background details apart.
I'm not saying I'm thankful for my cold making me stop to retch at random intervals, but that at least gave me some excitement while trying to find something to do in this dull, dull game.  Also inexplicably set in the JockTrek Kelvin timeline despite clearly being paced and visually modeled on the TNG era of boiler-suited psychiatrists spreading their communist message of subservience to the greater good to races that seem to be getting along just fine with their capitalist and/or war economies.  If you're going to go The Full Kelvin, I'd have expected some skydiving minigames, cover mechanics for shootouts, or outrageous setpieces like the terrible Star Trek movie tie-in game that came out a few years ago and which despite its failings at least made an effort towards being a thematically appropriate co-op shooter.  This isn't even shovelware-quality, but I got what I paid for, I suppose.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Star Trek Online is absolute dung. No doubt made by the type of person who skips the amazing, philosophical, bottle episodes of Trek because shit ain't 'sploding and nobody dies horribly.

My recent relapse in FTL addiction is mostly because it's the closest any game has come to being a Star Trek Captain Simulator.
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

I've invested in a couple of extra controllers for the PS4 so me and the kids can do some 4 player multiplayer. 

The standout LAN games for us so far are Overcooked, which requires serious teamwork, and is often hilarious, and Diablo III, where everyone goes after the purples, and you soon find out which of your kids are total mercenaries/loot ninjas.

Theblazeuk

FTL on the iPad got me sucked back in again for a little while...

Tony Angelino

Finished the single player of Sniper Elite 4. Its a good game and worth a few hours of your time but I don't feel it offered a big enough improvement on or development from Sniper Elites 2 or 3. As the game went on it just became very repetitive.

I just know there is a certain forum member waiting to tell me that the name Sniper Elite 4 should have given me a clue that it would be similar to Sniper Elite 2 and Sniper Elite 3.

Satanist

Played a good bit of Nier Automata yesterday and its finally clicked. I'm still not convinced about it being a 2D shooter/3D fighter/RPG/platform game hybrid but I am sure that it IS bonkers. Lovely world to run about in and the musics beautiful.

Basically the worlds been invaded by aliens and humanity has fled to the moon. Earth has been ravaged by a war between human made androids and the alien machines and its your job as android 2b to figure out why the machines have suddenly started acting odd.

so far so good.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?