Main Menu

MEG 314 : MISSING IN ACTION

Started by Buttonman, 13 August, 2011, 11:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Carlos' lovely Dredd/Koburn cover wraps a great package with a long Dredd, D & K and
Samizdat Squad and the Cruncher. To cap off a geek fest of geeky proportions there are also lush features
on Dr Who and Dan Dare.

Oh and a letters page with a couple of lax correspondents letting the side down with their failing memories!

vzzbux

How clever is Number Cruncher?
Building up to a great finale. Now this I didn't perceive happening.
A big thumbs up all round.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Proudhuff

Jings! what a fine bag of stories, most happy at the return of Koburn: loved the face off, Numbercruncher goes from strength to strength was will look lushush collected, Dredd fine, Soviet Squaddies I found had overstayed their welcome a wee bit, would it be churlish to ask for a bit more depth to art and stories?

Text;never been a big DD fan and the the detailed Whovian thing leaves me cold so won't be reading them, but I understand they will tick the boxes of many here and in WHSmith/FP so understand their inclusion

letters page; saddly lacking something  :(, nice clip out for the newsagent... has anyone ever used these?
DDT did a job on me

Zarjazzer

Thrillgasm! lovely to see the Koburn/Rico face off and sorry to see Samizdat Squad go especially the great b&w art. 

On another note that Lee Sullivan illo with all the Doctors is a classic. Not read the associated  article yet but looks good.

But the star for me  is again the freebie Mercy Heights just kept me reading avidly like a junkie rushing to buy their next fix. Or a giant pussycat smashing downtown Tokyo.Er, I fear i've killed the analogy. :-[

And another one still to go! Yay! Giant pussycats!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Proudhuff

So that's four people reading the Megazine? maybe some pics from the film will up the numbers    ::)
DDT did a job on me

flesario

Pity that Tharg removed the Hondo-cit rebuild of Meg City 2 from cannon in the letter page of prog 1741, for it to turn up in Cused Earth Coburn.

Actually, having thought about it, who cares. I still get a thrill from any new Ezquerra art even after all these years and I'm glad to see GRennie sneaking back in on a more regular basis, never a bad thing.

James Stacey

was there any mention of Mega City 2 ? They mentioned a Sino Cit incursion but that's still fairly canon as an anti MC1 entity (low life for example)

flesario

Think you're right there James.

I know people have mixed feelings but I still love the way Rennnie brings in fringe aspects of the meg and fleshes them out.

House of Usher

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 August, 2011, 12:42:49 PM
So that's four people reading the Megazine? maybe some pics from the film will up the numbers    ::)

I will shamefacedly admit I'm not reading the Megazine, but it does look very good. Last night I read the Judge Dredd strip, which I enjoyed, and the Cursed Earth Koburn strip, which had delicious artwork; I couldn't bring myself to care about a Citi-Def unit lost, killed, or eaten in the Cursed Earth though. I would normally expect a story to start with the discovery of their charred or fly-blown remains.

I look forward to reading the text pieces.
STRIKE !!!

James Stacey

We like to make sure people have things to write about on the letters page.

Spaceghost

I've been reading the Meg for as long as the prog but I rarely feel like commenting on the Meg.

Why? I suppose I'm usually fairly underwhelmed by it. It's ok, the stories seem...fine. Occasionally you get an outstanding Dredd story but usually it feels like inconsequential filler.

The 'back up strips' are usually rather so-so with the odd stand out (Number Cruncher, Lilly Mackenzie). There's usually one or two articles worth reading.

And that's it. It sort of chugs along doing its thing. I like the Meg but don't love it like the prog.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

How bloody smart is Numbercruncher!?
I'm loving it!
Samizdat squad didn't amount to anything above filler but was read-able.
Love Davis-Hunt's artwork on Dredd, page 5 panel 5 gave us a great view of Dredd's monster of a lawmaster.
This is my first encounter with Koburn, so can't comment on much besides he must have some balls talking to Rico like that. Suffice to say I like him already. :lol:
And as usual Esquerras art is brilliant. Those Lovecraftian frog men look strangely familiar though.....
I also wrote my first email to Dreddlines yesterday. Only time shall tell what will happen.

JOE SOAP

I wish Rebellion/Clickwheel could be bothered to update the Meg, IT'S STILL ONLY ON FAKKIN' ISSUE 311...

Bolt-01

Hawkmonger- I may be wrong, but I think the baddies at the end of Koburn are Gila Munja. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

JOE SOAP

I think the big clue's on the cover: