Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 23 April, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 01:28:45 AM
Quote from: JudgeJudi on 22 April, 2017, 07:10:16 PM
On re-reading - I've just realised that the Dredd Strip 'Night of the Bloodbeast' (Prog. 138) features cameos from Digby (Dan Dare), The Spirit, E-Man and at least three other characters who are clearly meant to be someone but I don't know who...

E-Man? Now there's an unlikely cameo homage. I was reading another 2000 AD story the other day and almost thought I saw an homage to John Byrne's robot character ROG-2000 from Charlton Comics, but after looking more closely, I decided it was probably a simple coincidence of similar design. Obviously that wasn't the case in Prog 138, since several different characters appeared in cameo homages.

I wonder who the man at back left is intended to be and the woman?

(Cannot work out how to embed?)

Unless the spear is significant in some way, I'd be inclined to say the man looks like he's wearing glasses (or has bags under his eyes), and possibly has a mustache. This seems more likely to be an editor, writer, or artist for 2000 AD, but I have no idea who it might be. Anyone want to take a guess?

As for the woman, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what she's wearing on her head. Seems like she must be a comics character, but nary as clue as to which one.

How to embed:
1. apparently links to imgur site are not allowed
2. workaround for #1: right-click on image on imgur page, choose Open in New Tab
3. copy URL from address bar in tab (your image by itself) you just opened in #2
4. in your reply, paste image URL (should end in .jpg, .gif, or .png) where you want it to appear in post, then highlight
5. click on [img] icon = box on far left, 2nd row, right above row of smileys
6. click on Preview before actually posting it, to make sure you got it right
7. should work, but feel free to ask if it doesn't
8. I already did it for you in quoting your post above, but test it yourself just to make sure you know how to do it.

positronic

@judgejudi -
One more to add:
9. right-click on any image you find on web, choose "Copy image address" to copy URL, then as above from #4.

Spikes

TordelBack

I'd have said the guy at the back left was John Belushi. The girl, I dunno, she has an early Alex Raymond vibe... Dale Arden, Jane?

positronic

I can rule out Dale Arden for you. Jane (from the British comic strip, right?) wasn't a costumed character, AFAIK. I really can't make out that unique headgear she's sporting in that drawing. The shoulder-length gloves should offer some clue though, I would think.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 02:36:21 PM
Unless the spear is significant in some way, I'd be inclined to say the man looks like he's wearing glasses (or has bags under his eyes), and possibly has a mustache. This seems more likely to be an editor, writer, or artist for 2000 AD, but I have no idea who it might be. Anyone want to take a guess?

Looks a bit like John Wagner...

As for the woman, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what she's wearing on her head. Seems like she must be a comics character, but nary as clue as to which one.

She's wearing a pillbox hat with a veil (the picture is a lot clearer in the original prog), so I'm guessing she's a femme fatale from The Spirit.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

positronic

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 23 April, 2017, 03:09:17 PM

Looks a bit like John Wagner...

She's wearing a pillbox hat with a veil (the picture is a lot clearer in the original prog), so I'm guessing she's a femme fatale from The Spirit.

Hmm. Doesn't look like any of the familiar Spirit femmes fatale to me.

Now that I'm staring at the man, I wonder if that spear is his...? If that's the case, then he's almost certainly holding that spear, which would seem to bust my theory that the drawing was of some artist, writer or editor for 2000 AD. But then this wild idea just shot into my head, a vague recollection of some Euro comic character strip called (appropriately enough) ... "THE MAN", which was a long-running thing about a caveman or neanderthal's typical daily adventures. Ring any bells with anyone? It's kind of hard to use in a search engine...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

positronic

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 April, 2017, 03:30:25 PM
This?

Not Bode's. This was another Man, less cartoonish (not Alley Oop, either). I can't recall the actual country of origin, possibly Spain, or somewhere in South America... never mind the artist's name.

Tony Angelino

The only caveman character I can think of is Tor which was a Joe Kubert creation. I don't think that's him though and I'm inclined to agree its likely a 2000AD celebrity. The way he is just looking forward at the reader. I've never seen Garry Leach so I'm just wondering if its him?

I think the female is likely a Spirit character as her arm is locked with his.

No idea about the spear though.

JudgeJudi

Something else I missed first time around - all the on-going talk about Dredd's age - Bizmo Klux (the Radbeast from Night of the Radbeast) is a springly 134 when they throw him in the pit... (born July 12th 1971).

sheridan

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 23 April, 2017, 09:36:39 PM
Something else I missed first time around - all the on-going talk about Dredd's age - Bizmo Klux (the Radbeast from Night of the Radbeast) is a springly 134 when they throw him in the pit... (born July 12th 1971).

Yes, I remember thinking when I first read it that the Biz was a little bit older than me (or will be, in 2104).

positronic

I just read a story in the 2000 AD's Greatest: Celebrating 40 Years collection where Kevin O'Neill appears as a character (who turns out to be the perp in this Dredd story). Can't remember the title or the Prog, but in the story O'Neill tries to sell Dredd a Dream Machine (which is like some kind of holographic TV that projects virtual fantasies). His name is mentioned several times in the story, so it isn't like one of those cameo background characters named after one of the 2000 AD staff or creator-droids.

In the plot of the story O'Neill is a really a disgruntled ex-employee of the company selling the dream machines, and O'Neill is going around as a (unauthorized) door-to-door salesman so that he can sneak into the conapts of the company's higher-ups and off them. It's one of the early Progs, because Dredd's in his apartment, and his housekeeper Maria and Walter the Wobot are there. The art wasn't by O'Neill but drawn by Carlos Ezquerra. I don't know if Ezquerra drew O'Neill as an actual caricature of his likeness.

A.Cow

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 23 April, 2017, 04:50:41 PM
I've never seen Garry Leach so I'm just wondering if its him?

That was my initial thought too, especially after finding a photo of him (making presumptions about what he might look like younger).  However, it would not explain the spear.

TordelBack

Quote from: A.Cow on 24 April, 2017, 08:52:11 AM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 23 April, 2017, 04:50:41 PM
I've never seen Garry Leach so I'm just wondering if its him?

That was my initial thought too, especially after finding a photo of him (making presumptions about what he might look like younger).  However, it would not explain the spear.

A visual theatrical pun on being a background extra?