Main Menu

Future Noir: Anthology accepting submissions/pitches

Started by johnnybhoy, 07 March, 2012, 01:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnybhoy

Hi everyone,

Future Noir is an anthology of Science Fiction stories with the aesthetic of Blade Runner/Phil K Dick/cyberpunk/scuzzy, punky noir. 

We're welcoming pitches from writers, submissions from creative teams and artists to indicate a willingness to be paired with writers.

Stories to be 10 pages maximum and can be about anything as long as it's Future, It's Noir and it's good!  They don't have to be set in a future LA, they don't have to be set on Earth, they can be off-world on a colonised Moon or Mars...they can be at the bottom of a polluted sea...they can be on anything at all as long as it fits into the aesthetic of the world of Blade Runner.

Email me at fluxukcomics@gmail.com or PM me here to register your interest.

Deadline wise, nothing set at this point. We can wait for input from all creators, to see how many stories we could be looking at. I'd hope for a minimum of 8-10 stories, 5-10 pages long. A 10 pager should take no more than 2-3 months for an artist to produce (I hope!).

We will debut digitally at first, put it up for print on demand or digital download, then, roughly a month or 6 weeks later we will move to printing and hopefully distribution.  All creators will be eligible for a cut of the profits the book makes.

I'm known on several boards as Editor in Chief of Flux UK Comics, but Future Noir is completely outwith WTFC and FLUX UK. This would be our own thing. I'm offering to help put the book together and try to garner some interest in publication. If we can produce a quality book I know that I can help get this book published. I have a few contacts with agents and editors who'd be very interested in it.

This is an exciting project to be part of, I already have had 5 pitches from another board. If we get more great submissions then we'll expand the anthology.

I look forward to hearing from interested creators.

JP

Heath C Ackley

Sounds very interesting. I think I will have a delve through the files and see what I can send your way. Do you want full scripts or just pitches?
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

johnnybhoy

Hi Zippo.

I'd like a pitch at this point, this way I can let creators know if their story is similar to other writers stories before they put the hard work into writing it.

Can't wait to read it!

johnnybhoy

To any artists reading, we need artists!!!

Please, if you fancy getting involved drop me a line, I have tame writers in need of a good home, all house trained (I think) and very friendly, good around kids and the like...some don't like old people though...

The Prodigal

Johnny hi,

Johnny for the purposes of the uninitiated and downright dopey could you define a pitch? I have an idea concept idea of sorts which I have been toying with for a while-is a pitch something akin to a character sketch/background story kind of thing?

Please excuse the rampant stupidity and thanks.

johnnybhoy

Send me a papragraph long outlne of your story, themes you'll look at covering, ideas you want to explore.

Cheers! ;)

The Prodigal

johnnybhoy

Thanks to everyone who's dropped me a line so far.  you should ahve all received a reply by now.

If not, if I've missed anyone, let me know.

Cheers

JP

johnnybhoy

Writing submissions are closing soon.

After next week we'll only be accepting strips with art, can be part way through or fully completed.

Reason being we have more than enough writing subs and not enough artists signed up to draw said submissions.

Thanks to all who have submitted up till now.  There's some great stories in the offing!

JP

Pauul

Well, I'm still looking for an artist for my seven page script.

I really do love Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Blade Runner, so it'd be great to have my strip drawn.

If any artists out there want to take a read, let me know.

michael kennedy

im a artist looking for some scripts to draw,ive already got in touch with johnny however i thouht id post here just in case

http://michaelkennedyillustrationart.wordpress.com/

Pauul

Here's some concept art for my strip 'Detective Story';

I know JP is still looking for more stories to include, if anyone else is looking to submit.

johnnybhoy

Hi guys,

First up, I'd like to apologise for the lack of updates.  Life etc gets in the way but it's no excuse.

So, with that out of the way...

Can everyone drop me a line with their strip titles that they've submitted and the progress of each of them?

1) I'm looking at a deadline of July/August for this anthology.  That's a good 4/5 months away.  That should give your art teams plenty of time to get the strip finished.

2) If I've accepted a script from you, please let me know your creative team that's providing art. Names, positions etc.

3) If you don't have a creative team yet, please let me know so we can try to procure one for you.

4) If you had a creative team and it fell through or flaked, please let me know and we can look at finding artists.  (I'm personally going through this, so if you're an artist and you want to contribute, let me know.)

I need to gather all info, strips, stories and scripts, and look at how we're going to deliver this anthology in time for everyone's x-mas stockings!

I'm also looking at starting a kickstarter fund to cover costs for printing.  I'll let everyone know how this progresses.

Giving the teams a solid deadline will give us all a target to hit with regards to finishing.  I fear that if we continue to just plod along then it's unlikely we'll ever get it finished.

Since we're looking at kickstarting this, I'm opening up submissions again to writers and artists who are interested.  Ideally I'd like to hit 200 pages to give buyers value for money, if we could hit 300 I'd be stoked.  I'm looking at 10 pages per script, but if your story can't fit in 10 pages, I'm happy to negotiate on a page count. Once again, this anthology will feature stories set in the future, in the world of Phil K Dick and Blade Runner aesthetically.  It can be about anything, as long as it's Future Noir, original and good!  You don't have to write about robot uprisings, you could write a touching personal story, or a story about a detective...it's up to you.

If you're an artist or writer who wants to contribute, drop a line to fluxukcomics@gmail.com with some samples.  We'll need artists to work on strips and also to do an epic cover for the anthology.  I'd ask all contributors to help spread the word far and wide on Facebook, twitter and any other forums etc you may be part of, we need all the exposure we can get to get this thing finished.  If I could ask you to copy and paste this post onto your walls, forums etc, hopefully we'll get more entries. I'll be doing all I can to promote/recruit, but every little helps.

When you email me with updates, can everyone please put the title of the script/strip and writers name in the subject bar?

Cheers,

JP

johnnybhoy

SO!

Submissions end this week for the anthology. We have received plenty of submissions already, but if anyone is sitting on something special, we'd love to see it.

Submissions close this Friday, check out the Facebook group or reply here and let us know if you have anything.

Next stage is to set up the Kickstarter which we'll do once the submissions are in.

Exciting times!

JP

Bolt-01

Good luck anyone that has submitted a pitch- three years is a long time to be working on a project.