Main Menu

2000 AD AND JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE GO SAME-WEEK DIGITAL

Started by Molch-R, 30 March, 2012, 03:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

The House to Astonish guys discuss this digital move for 2000AD as part of their latest podcast today - the short version is that they suspect this may prove more significant for 2000AD than similar moves have done for US super-hero titles.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 March, 2012, 06:16:04 PMIs a tad worrying Clickwheel purchases don't appear to be secure, although I'm taking the chance...

It is definitely pretty off-putting.  I'd really like to buy some of the older issues that the official shop doesn't have in digital, but it feels like the equivalent of being asked to send in my credit card details on a postcard.  Isn't there some way to get the site security fixed?  This announcement has surely got to be drawing some new people in to check out the digital options, and it makes Clickwheel look embarrassingly unprofessional.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

JOE SOAP

mrketch

Excellent news! I recently upgraded my iPad2 to the "New" iPad (3) and the resolution is now amazing (not that it wasn't good anyway).  For anyone unsure of taking the plunge I can definitely recommend it.  No more piles of comics everywhere although the collectors out there might argue it's not the same.  All I can say is if more people are buying digital copies then surely that makes the print copies more valuable in time?

dracula1

Wonderful news, advance with the times.

Are these online transactions secure?  the Clickwheel comments sound worrying. Are these digital copies pirate proof too?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dracula1 on 01 April, 2012, 12:45:35 PM
Are these digital copies pirate proof too?

No, what would be the point? It gets uploaded by scanners every week anyway. Pissin' in the wind trying to stop it and would cost money.

dracula1

Yep! that's a valid point Joe.  Well as long as the transactions are secure l'll go digital.

oshii

Molch-R, are there any plans to introduce dual paper and digital subscriptions?

I'm a paper subscriber, and while I'd never want to stop getting a paper copy, I do find digital copies on the ipad pretty bloody handy (a big dose of thirll power without having to cart around 2 dozen progs doesn't half make a train journey go quicker).  I'd be quite happy to pay a nominal extra (say around  50p per issue) to have both. 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: oshii on 01 April, 2012, 04:14:15 PMI'm a paper subscriber, and while I'd never want to stop getting a paper copy, I do find digital copies on the ipad pretty bloody handy (a big dose of thirll power without having to cart around 2 dozen progs doesn't half make a train journey go quicker).  I'd be quite happy to pay a nominal extra (say around  50p per issue) to have both.
I was wondering about this, too. Several of the magazines I write for do dual subs (sub to the paper mag and get access to a subscriber area on the website, where you can download PDFs for free). Echoing oshii, I wouldn't expect such a service for free (after all, infrastructure costs must be paid for), but I would be interested in a slight bump to the subs price for a dual print/digital subscription.

Steve Green

Same here, I don't keep the printed prog forever, but it would be great to have access to the digital archives for a small addition to the sub.

Molch-R

Quote from: oshii on 01 April, 2012, 04:14:15 PM
Molch-R, are there any plans to introduce dual paper and digital subscriptions?

No.

Emperor

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 March, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
QuoteAs to why Rebellion has chosen to make the switch to in-house digital distribution, Molcher said "we've got plenty of plans for the future of digital at '2000 AD,' so it made sense to do it ourselves. ... We are also very excited to announce that we are currently working on a new digital platform for '2000 AD.' More details will be unveiled over the next couple of months."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37792

A bit more on this from The Beat:

QuoteComputer games developer Rebellion, which owns 2000 AD, is also proud to announce that it is currently working on its own digital comics platform, due for release later this year. More details will follow in the coming weeks.

"This is a big leap for us," said Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley. "We were one of the first publishers to produce digital copies of all our titles, though print editions were given priority. We felt this year, with 2000 AD's 35th birthday and the Dredd film coming out in September, was the time to take our digital strategy forward. We've also got some exciting digital news coming in the next few months, so 2012 really is shaping up to be the year of 2000 AD."

www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/02/2000-ad-shortens-digital-window-plans-more-digital-comics/

Should help 2000AD reach more readers - being able grab a CBR is fine for those in the know already but having something like a 2000AD app (if that is what we are talking about) should get  the prog under the noses of a lot of potential new readers. One to watch, I suspect.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

a chosen rider

So... what time of day do these Friday progs go up?

Not that I've been haunting the online store all day or anything.  :-[
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

JOE SOAP

Me too.

Are we going to have prog 1777 available on either Clickwheel or the Shop today?

Thanks, understand if there's delays.

Grant Goggans

Yeah, where's my prog?  Y'all've been doing so well lately!  We've got thrills to read!