Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Kinda reminds me of when me and a few friends where searching for a village in Stromness for a good giggle, named Twatt. Struggling to locate the bloody thing we stopped in a pub (OFC) and inbetween rounds I asked the bar man for directions.

Me: "S'cuse me mate, don't suppose you could point us in the direction of...Twait....Tweet...Tw-"

Barman: "It's fucking pronounced TWAT!"

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 March, 2017, 10:27:58 AM

(*Possibly a bit rich coming from someone who was recently banned for using a particular word, though it's a word i always associate with awful men rather than the part of the female anatomy it literally means.)

You got banned for saying it; I got banned for being one - you must try harder! :-P
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 March, 2017, 12:20:52 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 March, 2017, 10:27:58 AM

(*Possibly a bit rich coming from someone who was recently banned for using a particular word, though it's a word i always associate with awful men rather than the part of the female anatomy it literally means.)

You got banned for saying it; I got banned for being one - you must try harder! :-P
😁

You may be a ****, but you're OUR ****.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Aww, you say the nicest things, *sniff*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

A horrible word for a beautiful thing...
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 March, 2017, 01:13:02 PM

if we cant use that what insult should replace it? I'm quite partial to the term fannybaws.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

hippynumber1

What is interesting about the word in question is that it used to be almost universally acceptable - for example, there was a street next to the Bank of England, renowned as a hang-out for prostitutes, called 'Gropec*nt Lane' and it wasn't the only street so named. It is, simply, the only word that describes the whole of the female genetalia; vagina, labia etc only describe particular bits. Some would argue that, in fact, vagina is far more offensive as it comes from the Latin for sheath/scabbard, reducing that beautiful area to a mere recepticle for a man's weapon. I know many women who baulk at the very thought that that's all it's good for. As is usual in a patriarchy, it's men that have made it a 'bad' word.

hippynumber1

An interesting article, I thought, about the whole issue:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2012/11/27/c-is-for-cunt/

The Legendary Shark

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.

I don't think any words should be taboo or banned. To my mind, the issue behind banning such words or punishing their users is this modern terror of offending people, which is an even worse foolishness. To claim offence at mere words is what an old friend and mentor of mine used to call a "thought stopper." By claiming offence over certain words or ideas, by playing it as a trump card, rational discourse is stopped in its tracks. "I'm not going to address your issues because they are, or are presented in, an offensive way - therefore I win the argument." I'd call that bullshit and an impediment to proper argumentation and opinion forming.

On the other hand, there's the phenomena of name-calling, which is a subtly different thing. To be offended by an argument, or the wording of an argument, is foolish, I think, but if one puts forward an argument or statement only to be met by "you are a total cnut" then there is some justification in taking offence because that's just a childish schoolyard ad-hominem attack which is the verbal equivalent of a slap in the face. Even so, I personally don't take much offence over being called names because it's a sign of the name-caller's lack of intelligence more than anything and to be pitied rather than reviled - although, like everyone, I can only be pushed so far before hitting back.

In conclusion, I'd say that it's always okay to use any words at all in making an argument but not in name-calling because the former increases understanding whilst the latter retards it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteAnd prively he caughte hire by the queynte
- Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales.

Hippy, you're going to get yourself banned, young man
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

hippynumber1

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2017, 07:47:34 AM
QuoteAnd prively he caughte hire by the queynte
- Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales.

Hippy, you're going to get yourself banned, young man

I assumed it was okay to discuss the word and its use in an intellectual context; it's not like I called anyone a queynte!  :-\

Proudhuff

Quote from: Satanist on 29 March, 2017, 01:56:12 PM

if we cant use that what insult should replace it? I'm quite partial to the term fannybaws.

Weegee?
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 March, 2017, 06:36:21 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 29 March, 2017, 01:56:12 PM

Weegee?

Some people can spell weegie and some people can't,  you sir are a complete can't!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?