Main Menu

New Readers Start Here!

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 September, 2012, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 March, 2013, 03:37:39 PM
Hi everyone

I'm a new reader just picked up Judge Dredd case files 01 and loving it, I also got day of chaos the fourth faction was just wondering what's everyone's favourite Dredd story and secondly thinking about picking up strontium dog where do i start. Thanks

I think the best place to start Strontium Dog is Agency File 2 (or Vol 2); there's some classic stories in there, and you also get 'protrait of a mutant' where we learn about Johnny Alpha's childhood and how he came to be a Strontium Dog. It's a really fun read and serves as a great introduction to the character aswell.

As for Judge Dredd, Case Files 1 is fun, but it's Case Files 2 where we slowly start to get to the real Dredd via two of the best Dredd arcs i've had the pleasure of reading; The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died. And definitely Case Files 4; with the awesome Judge Child Quest, and our first intro to fan favourite, Chopper. But Case File 5 is when Dredd really kicks into gear via The Block Wars, Judge Death Lives and The Apocolaypse War.

As for the smaller collection or self contained TPB's; there is nothing more greater than America;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1905437587/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1364242255&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I also loved The Pit, Mandroid and Origins.

So these just some of the must read titles you should check out. Hope that helps.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dredd Head

Thanks mabs, would i need to read strontium dog 01 to follow the second, and thats a few times i've seen america mentioned as a must read looks like my to buy stack keeps getting bigger and bigger Thanks again

Mabs

Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 March, 2013, 08:25:00 PM
Thanks mabs, would i need to read strontium dog 01 to follow the second, and thats a few times i've seen america mentioned as a must read looks like my to buy stack keeps getting bigger and bigger Thanks again

No problem!

There was a thread on here somewhere and most agreed that the 2nd volume was a great starting point as any for a new reader. When i first started out on SD, i read File 2 first and learnt everything about the character in one go. And definitely check out America, not only is it considered the best Judge Dredd story, but it's also a stunning piece of work in its own right. Colin MacNeil's artwork is absolutely beautiful to behold, and John Wagner's storytelling grabs you from the opening page and yanks your heart out by the end!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dredd Head

great very helpfull. just out of curiousity what has been your favourite dredd story?

Mabs

Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 March, 2013, 08:51:40 PM
great very helpfull. just out of curiousity what has been your favourite dredd story?

Just off the top of my head;

America
The Pit
The Judge Child Quest
The Cursed Earth
The Day The Law Died
Block War
Apocalypse War

Recent ones;
Day of Chaos V.1
Trifecta!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dredd Head

Wow You've been reading a long time then, I still feel very much a newbie, Will be picking up dredd's case file 02 next time which has apocalypse war and cursed earth i think then probably america

Mabs

Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 March, 2013, 09:03:27 PM
Wow You've been reading a long time then, I still feel very much a newbie, Will be picking up dredd's case file 02 next time which has apocalypse war and cursed earth i think then probably america

Lol, i'm quite new to the whole world of Dredd! It's just once i started, i couldn't stop (i think my obsessive personality played a part!), but there's so many awesome Judge Dredd stories out there. And there's still a hell of a lot out there which i haven't read yet..

Good luck with your reading, Case Files 2 will be a blast i'm sure of it.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

smilersaltash

Hi everyone

I feel I know a few of you as I have been lurking for some time, but have only gotten brave enough to join in now.  :D

I am busy catching up on the last ten years progs which I bought recently, Slaine absolutely blew me away, and I am fast becoming a big fan of Nikolai Dante. So far though JD Origins must be the high point of the last few years.

I can't believe Fiends of the Eastern Front didn't get on anyone's list. Probably teaching you all to suck eggs, but would strongly recommend Dave Bishops Fiends of the Eastern Front trilogy, and his follow up Fiends of the Rising Sun.

Missionary Man is another of my top ten, and am still hoping John Wagner rethinks retiring him.

Dredd Head

Quote from: smilersaltash on 25 March, 2013, 09:16:07 PM
Hi everyone

I feel I know a few of you as I have been lurking for some time, but have only gotten brave enough to join in now.  :D

I am busy catching up on the last ten years progs which I bought recently, Slaine absolutely blew me away, and I am fast becoming a big fan of Nikolai Dante. So far though JD Origins must be the high point of the last few years.

I can't believe Fiends of the Eastern Front didn't get on anyone's list. Probably teaching you all to suck eggs, but would strongly recommend Dave Bishops Fiends of the Eastern Front trilogy, and his follow up Fiends of the Rising Sun.

Missionary Man is another of my top ten, and am still hoping John Wagner rethinks retiring him.

Welcome I'm also new to the forums (joined today) Just interest how long you been reading?

smilersaltash

On and off I have been reading from the start. I bought prog 1 at our local newsagent, heavily influenced by the freebie (which our dog subsequently destroyed), and was hooked from then on.

Due to financial constraints placed on me by the ex-wife and the evil Child Support Agency, I lapsed in 1999, but still kept up with a few graphic novels when I could afford.

After I heard rumours of the new film, I went into the loft and brought down all my old progs to get a refresher course, and decided it was about time I caught up with the missing years. After much negociation with the new wife, I justified a fairly substantial spend on the entire run of progs from one of the contributors on here and have been like a pig in poo ever since. :lol:

Dredd Head

Quote from: Mabs on 25 March, 2013, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 March, 2013, 09:03:27 PM

Lol, i'm quite new to the whole world of Dredd! It's just once i started, i couldn't stop (i think my obsessive personality played a part!), but there's so many awesome Judge Dredd stories out there. And there's still a hell of a lot out there which i haven't read yet..

Good luck with your reading, Case Files 2 will be a blast i'm sure of it.

Yea really looking forward to case files 2. Just about finished judge dredd forth faction which is great even down to the paper quality its excellent :D

smilersaltash

If you haven't read this before, you are in for a real treat. #2 contains two of the best Dredd epics.

Dredd Head

Quote from: smilersaltash on 06 April, 2013, 09:43:23 PM
If you haven't read this before, you are in for a real treat. #2 contains two of the best Dredd epics.

Awesome, Picking them up on monday can't wait, Whats been your favourite dredd story?

smilersaltash

Can't decide between the Cursed Earth, Judge Child Quest, and Necropolis.
Also impressed with Origins. 
Have been trying to catch up on 10 years recently, so have skimmed through lots which I will go back over when I get a chance.
Last week I tried Stickleback, after seeing it being plugged by someone on here, and have been fairly impressed, although I have to read a story a few times to really get into it.
One story which should have died gracefully but seems to being dragged out is the latest incarnation of Invasion with Bill Savage, I was never too impressed with the original, Disaster 1990 was a disaster, and the latest offerings just don't do it for me.
Are you just reading Dredd, or are you trying a bit of everything ? One of my all time favorites is the Missionary Man, a character from Dredd world, who is a Marshall in the Cursed Earth near Texas City. Once you have read a few more of the case files, get a copy of Bad Moon Rising, my favorite ever graphic novel. Also 2 novels you can get for 99p on ebay which flesh out the Cursed Earth are Silencer and Cursed Earth Asylum.

Recrewt

Hi smilersaltash,

Like yourself, i'm an older fan who drifted away but was recently inspired by the new movie to return to the house of tharg!

Also, I have big respect for you mentioning Necropolis - that is my favourite Dredd 'epic' and is personally what I would want them to make a film of. 

Several people have been telling me that the recent Chaos War was very good so I am planning to pick up the TPBs for that - the first one is out now and the second later this year!! In fact, I was stood in the shop the other day with the Day of Chaos book in one hand and the Batman/Dredd Collection in the other - Batman won that time but Chaos will be next!!