Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 March, 2017, 10:44:12 AM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 28 March, 2017, 08:32:44 AM]
I only watched the first episode of 'Fear The Walking Dead' and I wasn't impressed although I realise the first episode of any series is not an indication of how good or bad it will be.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first series of FTWD, but I thought the first episode was one of the single worst things I'd ever seen on a TV screen - dull, uninvolving, really unlikeable/uninteresting characters, just... Ugh. It's amazing how rapidly it improves from there.

Ah, good to hear.
Yeah, I was deeply unimpressed with the first episode and with so much good stuff to watch I really hate wasting my time on crap.
I look forward to watching it all this time.

The Legendary Shark

Fargo, Season One.

Superb.

That is all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Still not sure which one I preferred, season 2 or season 1. Very different stories and S1 slightly suffers from being a familiarish story.

The Legendary Shark

Looks like I'm for a treat when I get to Season Two, then - can't wait! I liked the similarities between the film and S1 - they were like little echoes, resonances or homages and were just few enough in number to be treats rather than attempts at duplication. I loved just about everything about it, from each and every superbly cast actor to the pair of hitmen from Fargo's drummy theme tune. Just splendid from start to finish.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Oh yah. I just mean it's hard to compare the two.

The Legendary Shark

Well gosh, that sounds just super!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Well I finally got around to watching Kneale's Beasts anthology. Intended to watch one episode a day but ended up watching all 6 (plus the pilot) episodes in a day. Utterly gripping little one off plays, not a dud among them and watching Inside N0. 9 on TV right now I have to wonder if Shearsmith is a fan.

I guess in chronological order, the pilot Murrain was a delightful little supernatural tale, somewhere between Witchfinder General and The Wicker Man, with a lovely little bit of poetic justice in the final scene. Onto the series itself, Baby actually felt like a sister piece to Murrain, and was a damn good haunting come witchy thriller with a genuinely nasty twist at the end. 10 year old me would have been traumatized for life!

Buddyboy was arguably the one I liked the least, but it's premise was mad enough to keep me invested anyway, [spoiler]not often you'll see a play about a millionaire haunted by an empty dolphin pool.[/spoiler]. The Dummy is the crowning gem of the series, and one of the finest satires i've ever seen. That Kneale really didn't like hammer studios, did he?!

Special Offer and What Big Eye's are both highly competent mysteries, with some wonderful casting in both (Patrick Magee's barmy Lychanthrop researcher in WBE's is particularly brilliant). Both pale in comparison however to the brilliance that was During Barty's Party, which rivals anything by Hitchcock in terms of it's tense atmosphere and subtle scares, trimmed back cast and use of sets. If not for The Dummy, it would be the best of any given anthology series.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend picking up the DVD before it goes OOP, it's absolutely brilliant!

Mardroid

I started watching The Man in the High Castle this weekend. I'm 5 episodes in already* and theres plenty more to go, although from a story-arc point of view it feels like episode five was the start of a new series.

It's really enjoyable stuff! Having just seen a series on BBC2 concerning a world where the Germans one the war, I was a little reluctant to see this... but it turns out to be rather different.

Likeable characters. Nice plot twists. I reckon I've sussed out the source of that film footage already, but it will be fun to see if I'm right.

*I disgust myself sometimes, but putting off cliff-hanger resolutions it's not my strong point.

Smith

Season 3 of Better Call Saul is here. :)

Mattofthespurs

Watching Peep Show on Netflix.
Had forgotten just how funny it is.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 12 April, 2017, 09:37:32 AM

I'm so slow. We started season two the other night. First episode was absolute gold.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 14 April, 2017, 12:07:50 PM
Watching Peep Show on Netflix.
Had forgotten just how funny it is.
yeah I recently ploughed through the entire run on my phone at lunchtimes - one of the funniest sitcoms ever.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 April, 2017, 12:08:46 PM

I'm so slow. We started season two the other night. First episode was absolute gold.

You think that's slow? I've got the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad on DVD, haven't watched a minute. And I've got several seasons of Game of Thrones to catch up on.

Mattofthespurs

Breaking Bad is probably my favourite show of all time.
Absolutely adore it.
Got the first season of Better Call Saul on blu but only watched the first episode so far.

Satanist

I like Breaking Bad but its quite possibly the most over-rated series ever. I think I like Better call Saul more.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Smith

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 April, 2017, 12:08:46 PM

Granted,I had the unfair advantage of starting earlier.  :P