Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Ultraman Ace see's my Ultraphon clock it's 250's episode, and I cant lie, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hopped. The desiscion to carry over the Yapool story line from Jack was ambitious and indeed Yapool and Ace Killer have become Ace's iconic enemies, but the overall arc of the series felt bloated with filler.

Onwards and upwards, however, as the sixth and final title in the original Ultra saga is a real classic, Taro!

auxlen

Enjoying Hap and Leonard...good banter....

Rara Avis

Watched all three seasons of Silicon Valley over the weekend.

Some incredibly funny one liners including my new favourite phase:

"You're bringing piss to a shit fight"

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Just had a Walking Dead marathon with my flatmate who has never seen them. It was nice to watch em all again. Rick is a lot more annoying this time around though.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: auxlen on 17 April, 2017, 05:13:57 PM

I binged on the Hap & Leonard books last summer, and it was a godsend when I discovered the series on Amazon. Most of the way through S2 now and whilst I struggled with the casting at first it has grown on me and love the way they are weaving together elements of different stories into the major plotlines. I keep forgetting it's supposed to be set in the 80s though, just assume everyone hasn't got a mobile because they're poor...

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 April, 2017, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: auxlen on 17 April, 2017, 05:13:57 PM

I binged on the Hap & Leonard books last summer, and it was a godsend when I discovered the series on Amazon. Most of the way through S2 now and whilst I struggled with the casting at first it has grown on me and love the way they are weaving together elements of different stories into the major plotlines. I keep forgetting it's supposed to be set in the 80s though, just assume everyone hasn't got a mobile because they're poor...

Hold on a minute, are we talking about a TV version of Joe Lansdale's Hap & Leonard?  Only just yesterday read and enjoyed my first one of the stories, interested to see how it translates.

Theblazeuk

Yes sir, that's what we're talking about. First season is Savage Season and I think they just finished off Mucho Mojo, and they're weaving elements from other books into different stories as you don't get the benefit of Hap's exposition.

Bolt-01

Sweet Jovus- I've read 'Mucho Mojo'- and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll have to take a look at this!

Professor Bear

Finally working up the courage to tackle the large mountain of Japanese cartoons eating my spare room, and Here and There, Now and Then is a 13-part OVA best described as an "anti-romp", taking the basic template of the stranger in a strange land fantasy trope and adding torture and rape until all joy and hope is gone from this well-served genre.  To be fair, the show does likely go down this grim and angsty path just to differentiate itself from a flood of similar shows and OVAs, as the Japanese churn stuff like this out all the time to the point I genuinely don't know where to start in offering alternative interpretations of the same material - though the tv version of Vision of Escaflowne remains a great example two decades after it was first released, all the more surprising in that it predates NaTHaT by nearly half a decade, such is the gulf in quality between the two.
I liked the limited palette of colours used to realise post-ocean Earth, and the fully cel-based animation of the late 90s before CGI started to become unavoidable in animu gives things a retro charm at odds with the material, but there's no getting away from the fact that this isn't an old-fashioned adventure, it's just cheap and often nasty.

radiator

13 Reasons Why

The buzzy new Netflix show. I caught the first episode and strongly disliked it. I just couldn't get a handle on the tone they were going for, and my initial reaction was that they were treating some very serious subjects in an astoundingly irresponsible, flippant way - for example glamourising teen suicide as a kind of kooky, quirky way to get revenge on others. Won't be watching any more.

Happy Valley

Watched the first episode and quite liked it - kind of like if Shane Meadows remade Fargo.

The Legendary Shark

Nearly half way through Iron Fist. It's okay, nothing great but still better than Arrow or The Flash. Still, for a guy who spent 15 years training under masters, Danny seems to spend an awful lot of time getting punched in the mush and hitting the same people repeatedly until they eventually fall down.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 20 April, 2017, 10:15:24 PM
13 Reasons Why

The buzzy new Netflix show. I caught the first episode and strongly disliked it. I just couldn't get a handle on the tone they were going for, and my initial reaction was that they were treating some very serious subjects in an astoundingly irresponsible, flippant way - for example glamourising teen suicide as a kind of kooky, quirky way to get revenge on others. Won't be watching any more.

Same. Tonally it was a disaster - but it's not really "for us" I'd argue - it's helping a shit-ton of teenagers open up about stuff apparently the world over so that's something I suppose. 

Theblazeuk

My wife binge watched the whole thing yesterday. I found it a bit iffy (walked in at the end) given that it does sort of imply that suicide will allow people to have an impact on other's after their death and make them question their behaviour, which I'm not sure is particularly... idk, helpful? It's not helped by standard American teen casting I think or the tone-deaf portrayal of supposed poverty as pretty sweet suburbia. Not sure why it takes HBO or Breaking Bad to show any actual grime and grit to people's lives.

QuoteHappy Valley

Watched the first episode and quite liked it - kind of like if Shane Meadows remade Fargo.

Really, really enjoyed this and not just because it takes place in my future-dream-home of the Calde.r valley.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 April, 2017, 11:21:43 AMthat it does sort of imply that suicide will allow people to have an impact on other's after their death and make them question their behaviour, which I'm not sure is particularly... idk, helpful? It's not helped by standard American teen casting I think or the tone-deaf portrayal of supposed poverty as pretty sweet suburbia.

No, I totally absolutely agree - again it does that thing that barely any alienated teen would actually identify with by casting a load of athletically fit clean-skinned beautiful kids. However despite (and possibly because of) the well-worn tropes and sledgehammer-walnut style problem solving it's out in the world and having suicide, teen rape and those sorts of things being looked at and talked about which on the very very bare face of it can't be utterly contemptible. I'M TRYING SO HARD TO BE CONSTRUCTIVE ABOUT THIS. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I ONLY WATCHED IT BECAUSE THE GUY WHO DIRECTED THE STATION AGENT DID IT. HE'S GOT A VERY INCONSISTENT OUTPUT. HE DID THAT FILM WITH ADAM SANDLER AS A MAGIC COBBLER. YET HE ALSO WON TWO OSCARS FOR SPOTLIGHT. WTF MAN.

Professor Bear

Go watch the Glee episodes about suicide or that one where they exploit the IRL death of one of the cast and then go back to 13 reasons.