Main Menu

Started by moly, 15 December, 2012, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I suppose it's not that different to early Anderson which had her killing Hammy Blish - but it feels too relentlessly miserable.

Like having Day of Chaos go on for 10 years. She just appears far too ineffectual.

I think the problem with Anderson is that she's not really got any supporting cast to bounce off - there's only really Shenker who's a permanent fixture.

The separation of her and Dredd doesn't help either, having a supporting cast growing from around the time of the Pit has helped Dredd grow enormously.

The well must be running a bit dry on the reprints. I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it was dropped, but surprised that Return to Armageddon hasn't been reprinted yet - but I guess a Savage strip fits in better with the current prog.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 December, 2012, 05:19:11 PM
Minor controversy over on twitter as Jock spots not one but TWO straight tracings from his own work in Antonio Fuso's story... :-(

Cheers

Jim

I' wonder if that - following on from (IIRC) the swipe/s in the "Ichabod Azrael" episodes - may have put paid to Tharg commissioning further work from Fuso? Can't have put him high on the list of must-use artists...

Professor Bear

He's traced Dredd artwork, though, which is the property of rebellion, so it's not illegal or anything*, just a bit tricky ethically for the artists involved.  I gather Greg Land has avoided trouble in the past by only tracing artwork owned by the company he's working for, so this would be the same kind of situation.

* Although tracing and/or plagiarism is not legally actionable as far as I know.

Rio De Fideldo

Has Paul Marshall been interviewed for the Meg ever. I think he's pretty underrated as an artist and would love to know a bit more from him.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 December, 2012, 12:06:34 AM
He's traced Dredd artwork, though, which is the property of rebellion, so it's not illegal or anything*, just a bit tricky ethically for the artists involved.  I gather Greg Land has avoided trouble in the past by only tracing artwork owned by the company he's working for, so this would be the same kind of situation.

* Although tracing and/or plagiarism is not legally actionable as far as I know.

IMO, it's less about whether what he's done is legally problematic and more that outright tracing the work another artist has produced for the same publisher - and doing it twice on different strips - suggests contempt both for the other artist and for the editor commissioning your work.

It seems pretty clear from his work for the prog/Meg and the few bits I've seen online that he's heavily influenced by Jock/Dom Reardon and others. That would be cool, as most artists wear their influences on their sleeves initially (and occasionally throughout their careers), some to the point of being hammered for being "imitators". However, there is - to me, at least - a pretty big difference between being heavily inspired by someone's work and working in their style before you refine and define your own, and simply tracing elements of their previous work.

Proudhuff

ach, the whole Prog up/Meg down thing seems to be back!

maybe its the megathrills in the Prog that is doing it but this Meg is a bit of a filler, the highlight its the Dredd finale of the megakiller playoff. Sorry to say that final Dredd full page just didn't have the inpact it should have had, a great idea sadly poorly executed, Well, at least Anderson's over, the bad news is the sexy ostrich story is back next month.

DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

Enjoy Anderson and American Reaper so it's a win win for me.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 December, 2012, 03:59:06 PM
the bad news is the sexy ostrich story is back next month.

*Shudder*

strontium71

Love the hidden 'Invasion' on the floppy - didn't realize at first...
Also , the 'next issue' picture - does this mean that Anderson is back in a Dredd strip , seeing as the Dredd story is drawn by JDH as is the picture..?
...because I hate you.

Buttonman

Dreddlines in only 3 of the last six Megs. Will someone please think of the children. And Tom.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 17 December, 2012, 05:56:25 PM
Dreddlines in only 3 of the last six Megs. Will someone please think of the children. And Tom.

Strue, on the down side I'll have to go out and buy xmas gifts this year, on the upside my Mum won't get that Anderson TPB again!
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

The lack of Dreddlines can clearly be traced back to the controversy of you tracing my letters!

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 December, 2012, 06:52:22 PM
Also, I don't recall reading Disaster 1990 before, but maybe I did and just forced it out of my memory. It's... not held up that well, has it?
I didn't exactly expect it to be a classic although I was sort of looking forward to Disaster but it really hasn't, has it? I'm not sure that I would've been able to identify the flaws in the science at the age of 8 but I still don't think this would've been a particular favourite.

Quote from: strontium71 on 17 December, 2012, 05:47:03 PM
I still can't see this. Any hints?
Also , the 'next issue' picture - does this mean that Anderson is back in a Dredd strip , seeing as the Dredd story is drawn by JDH as is the picture..?
It's an Alan Grant Dredd story so could be.
We never really die.

strontium71

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 December, 2012, 07:46:36 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 December, 2012, 06:52:22 PM
Also, I don't recall reading Disaster 1990 before, but maybe I did and just forced it out of my memory. It's... not held up that well, has it?
I didn't exactly expect it to be a classic although I was sort of looking forward to Disaster but it really hasn't, has it? I'm not sure that I would've been able to identify the flaws in the science at the age of 8 but I still don't think this would've been a particular favourite.

I still can't see this. Any hints?
It's an Alan Grant Dredd story so could be.

'cos I meant to say 'Disaster' , heh... :-[
...because I hate you.

vzzbux

Disaster 1990. A different Bill Savage in a different timeline.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.