Main Menu

Prog 1816 Body Horror

Started by A.Cow, 19 January, 2013, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus

I just assumed the perp narrating events to the judges was a story-telling device, and very successful one at that.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Cactus on 22 January, 2013, 09:22:18 AM
I just assumed the perp narrating events to the judges was a story-telling device, and very successful one at that.

This ^.

Anyways...
That was a fine cover reminder me of this:

Rodin's Gates of hell , which would be appropriate.

Dredd a fine post DeeohCee tale, spoiled for me by the  lacklustre art with Dredd lacking Authority.

Savage: Getting better, but the 'haven't a clue what I'm singing' grated, WTF?

ACrucis: Great stuff art and story in tandem, liked the nod to Sherlock too

Redseas; now we're getting somewhere, I get a feeling not everyone will survive this, hence the cast of thousands.

SD:
I had thought this was a flashback to the previous Mutie uprising, blame my dotage, until that comment about Alpha being buried, nice nod to PG Woodhouse too

That London comic con, I can see there maybe handbags at dawn if certain parties meet up

Fine prog, marred only by a tardy snowbound Royal Mail
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Great to see Brett Ewins on the guest list of the Comicon.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 January, 2013, 10:43:04 AM

Why so? The song is Russian, and he obviously doesn't speak it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 January, 2013, 12:00:17 PM

So he sings along in russian? not knowing the language, the words, after hearing two verses, oh and under fire too, yeah that's easy enough. ::)
DDT did a job on me

Fisticuffs

Dredd - Great story, poor art. Enjoyed it though, and intrigued if it is indeed a setup for later. (Or maybe we've been spoilt too much recently and reading too much into it?)

Savage - Great art, truly awful, awful dialogue.

Red Seas - Not got a clue what's going on here, pretty though. :D

Strontium Dog - See above. :D

Goaty

Prog was good, but why I feelings like this prog was just fill in gap of all five stories?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 January, 2013, 12:37:53 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 January, 2013, 12:00:17 PM
So he sings along in russian? not knowing the language, the words, after hearing two verses, oh and under fire too, yeah that's easy enough. ::)
I thought the point was that it was supposed to be a well known song by her band. Plenty of people could have a fair stab at La Bamba, Guantanamera or J'en Ai Marre without having the faintest idea what they mean.

That said it was still a pretty terrible episode. How bloody long are they going to be hiding behind that barrier and doesn't it seem a bit late in the game to be humanising the Volgs now?

Ampney is also suffering badly from extended incident syndrome: two weeks to have a car chase really isn't very interesting.

Really like the cover. Lovely and gruesome and a nice change from more ABC Warriors.

Dredd was a decent story and a marked improvement on the recent Dolman/Space Corps ones. Didn't seem like a setup to me, just a different device to frame the story. Burns is a great artist but I really don't think he suits MC1 at all.

We never really die.

Grant Goggans

Oh, I don't agree at all about Ampney.  The car chase is over in one week, where we also get intrigue with Calliope on the telephone to somebody, and the new technology of the machine pistol where the Webley should have been, and hints about the assassins... lots happened this week.

Compare to Red Seas, where nothing of consequence at all happened, and all the pages were white again.

Hawkmumbler

I do think this most recent run of TRS has had slightly more going on than in previous instalmetns art wise. Besides that it's standard fare at best.

Dark Jimbo

The prog continues to tick over. I'm still pretty much marking time until the next line-up, I'm afraid.

That said, Dredd was a good 'un this week. I find Mike Caroll's Dredds to have a few problems on occassion (the supporting Judge cast have frequent bumbling-stooge-syndrome, for one, and there's a very Robbie Morrison-esque tendency to have Dredd saving bairns and babies) but they're always fairly well-constructed plot-wise and he's really committed to the post-DoC landscape in a way that not all the other writers have. The construction of this episode was really good, and it's always a pleasure to have John Burns in the prog.

Savage hits a bit of a bum note. I appreciate what Pat's trying to do but dialogue has never been his forte and he doesn't quite pull it off here. It's nice to see the Volgs humanised a bit. It may be a bit too late in the day, but it is serving to cast Savage - and his utter unwillingness to change his opinions - in an increasingly unflattering light. I'm hoping this new ambiguity about who the heroes and villians of this strip really are extend to the imminent arrival of the Americans, and a looming sea change whereby Britain realises it has simply changed one foreign aggressor for another and is not really any better off under the Yankee jackboot.

Red Seas is Red Seas. Hard to review an all-action episode in any case! The appearance of the corpse-giants was a nicely played scene, immediately ruined by the rather camp Satan's glib remark. I'm of the personal opinion that comedy villians make for poor drama, and that's really borne out here - Lucifer as presented just doesn't live up to the endless build-up of the past few years.

Ampney's another all-actioner, which makes it a bit hard to find anything to say about this episode.

Strontium Dog really kicks up a gear this week. Loved the Doghouse scene and Red's cameo.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheldipez

Ampney was easliy the highlight in a rather mediocre prog, I could stare at that art forever.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 January, 2013, 10:46:50 PM
Strontium Dog really kicks up a gear this week. Loved the Doghouse scene and Red's cameo.
Missed that! It's moments like this that make me realise why I love the prog! :D
So can we assume she will be playing a role in this?

Spikes

Another top prog again this week.
Not totally enamoured with the cover TBH, maybe a little too dark and muddy. But it works well enough close up.
Dredd was a nice little tale told - and i did wonder myself if there's slightly more to it.
Ampney continues to grab me solidly. Just glorious art. A new fave, at the minute. Stronty's a good one this week, and Red Seas is dragging a little, but im still loving it.
Savage is intriguing. Is ol' Bill being shown to us as an un-hinged psychopath? Glorious art from Goddard

And yes, nice to see Brett in the line up for the LSCC. Though i must admit my initial reaction was one of surprise.

Grant Goggans

I really, really love that Doghouse scene.  Ezquerra's inking is pretty rough, but Wagner's doing such an amazing job with the script and with that incredibly natural dialogue that I'm rereading the pages again and again.  Kid Knee in panel four: "I got big news!  The norms have done it!  Oh boy, have the norms done it this time!"  There are several other possible examples, where character is coming out so perfectly in just a few lines of telling dialogue.

Mutant Spring should not be flying under our radars.  This is fantastic stuff.